AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th July, 2008, 03:55 PM
AOA Staff

Online risk due to browser flaws

Almost half the online population is at risk because users have not installed security updates to their browsers, says a study.

See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/4297/1/

Comments?
Old 11th July, 2008, 08:28 PM

This doesn't surprise me in the least. There are so many Stupid & or ignorant people who use computers that don't have the first clue about Internet Security!!!
This is something I learn in detail over 8 years ago...My computer is very Locked down & Secure.
This is the readout I have with ShieldsUp!
Attached Thumbnails
Online risk due to browser flaws-image-0.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 11th July, 2008 at 08:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th July, 2008, 02:43 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

ShieldsUp! is nothing more than a basic port scanner though. (The particular test you've run only detects the old NetBIOS ports, which have pretty much been superseded since Win2K). As far as browser attacks go, it won't tell you anything. JavaScript is a interesting language, and it's quite possible to produce malicious code that runs entirely within the browser.
Old 13th July, 2008, 06:21 AM

There isn't anything that runs on my computer without my permission.
I have every single unnecessary service turned off too.
I also use a Linksys router, Spybot S&D (Immunize), SpywareBlaster & Kaspersky Internet Security all always up to date & run FF3 with NoScript so nothing is allowed to run freely in the background without my permission.

But basically common sense works the best for avoiding problems altogether.
It's always easier to keep them out than it is to get them out once they're in. If something needs permission to run, I usually don't trust it unless it's MS Update or MS Office Update.

It's been about 5 years now that I haven't had anything get into my computer.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th July, 2008, 11:12 AM

If you set your rig up right, you don't have to worry. Muff1n has his set to his liking and the only way anything is going to get to his box is if he gets lazy.

Before XP PRO, I was constantly tweaking what ever OP I was using. Needles to say, I was Re-installing my OP on a fairly regular basis. That doesn't bother me anymore I'm set up for it.
I'm telling you this because Muff1n is 100% correct In that if you set your rig up right, nothing is going to get through. I'm set up basically the same that he is, different programs, but covered the same way. The difference is I get lazy. After 3-4-mabe 5 months of being vigilant, I quit being careful. That's when i get nailed. It may take a while but it happens. I've been hit 4 times. For me the cure is very simple. An immediate hard boot to my Xp disk and away we go agian. Simple & doesn't bother me in the slightest. That's Why I get lazy-the cure is so simple. But I haven't been hit by any of the realy bad ones either. The worst I've gotten is one that takes over your computer. I've heard of some others that are REALY nasty.
Any way you look at it, it's the operator who decides if anything gets put onto his computer.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 13th July, 2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muff1n
I have every single unnecessary service turned off too.
Technically, Windows XP doesn't need any services running at all, if you're just browsing the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
I'm telling you this because Muff1n is 100% correct In that if you set your rig up right, nothing is going to get through.
Working in information security, I know that it is not possible to set a machine up so nothing gets through, unless you never turn the machine on.

For example, what do you do to prevent a DNS spoofing attack against your ISP's DNS servers? Such an attack could be used to poison their DNS server to provide you with the wrong address for websites. Instead of going to a website you might trust, your machine ends up at a website controlled by an attacker.

Or, for example, the exploit against Firefox 3, which hasn't been patched yet (to my knowledge).

As far as JavaScript goes, there's a lot of sites that don't work with it turned off...

Last edited by Áedán; 13th July, 2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 13th July, 2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Technically, Windows XP doesn't need any services running at all, if you're just browsing the Internet.

Working in information security, I know that it is not possible to set a machine up so nothing gets through, unless you never turn the machine on.

For example, what do you do to prevent a DNS spoofing attack against your ISP's DNS servers? Such an attack could be used to poison their DNS server to provide you with the wrong address for websites. Instead of going to a website you might trust, your machine ends up at a website controlled by an attacker.

Or, for example, the exploit against Firefox 3, which hasn't been patched yet (to my knowledge).

As far as JavaScript goes, there's a lot of sites that don't work with it turned off...
I guess I should not have given an absolute. It was a little dumb of me. One I'm no expert and 2, there are no absolutes.
That being said, a computer set up correctly, has operator error as the biggest threat. That was all I was trying to say. It is a little weird but the 4 times I got infected-I knew the very nano-second I had screwed up.
As for sites that won't work unless You allow them to use JaveScript or any thing else. The responsibility still lies with the operator.
But the one you mentioned "For example, what do you do to prevent a DNS spoofing attack against your ISP's DNS servers?" That would be a really nasty one!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 14th July, 2008, 04:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Many problems can be avoided by not working with administrative rights unless you need them. This is the model that Unix and Linux operating systems have used for years. Unfortunately with XP it is hard to do anything if you don't have admin rights, the accounts are very crippled. Vista is a move forward in this direction IMO. You can create an administrative account and then log on with some other account, then when Vista asks for elevated privileges then you just give it the admin account.

Of course I have XP on this machine because I use it for playing games and the additional overhead of Vista seems like a detriment. On my laptop though I have Vista and Ubuntu dual booted, I use them about equally.
Old 14th July, 2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
You allow them to use JavaScript or any thing else. The responsibility still lies with the operator.
But the one you mentioned "For example, what do you do to prevent a DNS spoofing attack against your ISP's DNS servers?" That would be a really nasty one!
One of the issues that's been happening is that other people's infrastructure (websites, DNS servers etc) has been manipulated in order to attack machines. So, part of your online security relies on systems that are outside your control! I suppose that's not a lot different from driving - where your safety relies on others getting things right too.

Last edited by Áedán; 14th July, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 14th July, 2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
One of the issues that's been happening is that other people's infrastructure (websites, DNS servers etc) has been manipulated in order to attack machines. So, part of your online security relies on systems that are outside your control! I suppose that's not a lot different from driving - where your safety relies on others getting things right too.
Your probably right about that except there is one big difference and it's a total shift in thinking.
We get up, go to work, school, shopping, off to Grandmas house we go-And we have accepted, from the get go, that everyone else on the road is an idiot and not to be trusted.
With our computers, we are in control. We don't have any thing to do with other people unless we want to, and we can stop that in a heart beat. We still have the concept that "people" are the threat and we are relatively safe because we are alone behind our firewalls and realtime scanners. If the shift in thinking can't be made, then the proper defense will be difficult.
The security industry hasn't done to much here. I have seen a few programs that tried to deal with browser threats. They were pretty bad. If I remember right, either they were not effective or so complicated and obtrusive that I just uninstalled them.

Old 14th July, 2008, 04:16 PM

The problem is similar to the issues that globalisation brings up, and we're not coping with that issue all that well either! As far as InfoSec goes, protecting your browser against unknown code is very difficult. Using a parallel with the real world, even the human body can't defend itself against every biological threat (such as bacteria/virus) that's out in the world. What hope does a mere computer program have?
Old 14th July, 2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The problem is similar to the issues that globalisation brings up, and we're not coping with that issue all that well either! As far as InfoSec goes, protecting your browser against unknown code is very difficult. Using a parallel with the real world, even the human body can't defend itself against every biological threat (such as bacteria/virus) that's out in the world. What hope does a mere computer program have?
Like viruses in the bio world, some times it's not the big drug companies. Some times it's a Louis Pastour.
There will be 1 guy, probably not even in security, will have a light bulb moment. An idea so outside the box he would get dismissed out of hand by the 'experts'.
He will gather a few geek friends that don't know any better and SHAZAM- up pops a new Norton or AVG.
Because it will work and there still won't be anyone else who has anything.

Old 15th July, 2008, 09:35 AM

We're still waiting for someone to have that idea. Nature hasn't managed it, and I don't think humans will manage any better.
Old 15th July, 2008, 04:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Quote:
Zero hour threats/exploits are a big risk especially for large companies. We run two different IDS products here, one commercial and one open source. We also have the web pretty locked down for our users. DNS exploits are a concern of course. We do the best we can, and watch for strange code on the wire.