AOA AOA AOA Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th July, 2008, 09:39 AM

why does my computer think I live in Germany

Ok guys and gals..this is a new one on me and I am stumped and hoping someone can help.

About a week ago my ISP went down at night. I had just logged off an online game I play and was going to search some information on the internet. I clicked IE7 which I use as my browser, with Yahoo as my home page.

I could not get on the net and so I checked my DSL modem and the internet light was out. This was after a storm here so I just figured one of the Embarq servers was down and I would try again in the morning.

Well, and here is the issue, I clicked on IE the following morning to get on the net and it connected alright...to Yahoo Germany..complete with German language!!

So I checked my home page setting in IE..and it is still Yahoo US. This has continued to plague me. I can switch back to Yahoo US and read everything alright. Thinking it may be an issue with the browser, I DL'ed Firefox to see if it would be alright..and when I installed it and ran it, like to perform a search, lo and behold..it searches in German also.

Has anyone ever heard of an ISP causing an issue like this? I called Embarq support and he was not a lot of help.

I have run Live One Care to check my computer. I use AGV and Windows Defender and Spy Bot. None of these can find any problem.

I run on Windows XP..SP3..I run with an Embarq DSL modem and am using a Linksys wired router. This has affected each and every computer in my home.

Any ideas?

FIXED....got a different tech at Embarq...knew all about it.

Last edited by gardman; 13th July, 2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Was able to get corrected.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th July, 2008, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

so what was the problem then? just a ISP prob?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2008, 06:19 PM

Sorry..I had meant to get back sooner on what I found. I called again to Embarq and spoke with another tech. This was knew exactly what I was talking about. He had actually corrected this same issue a few times.

The solution was to change a couple of DNS settings in my own computer...make those same changes in my Linksys wired router and also he had one of their engineers change my IP address by a few numbers.

Restarted Explorer...problem corrected.
Restarted Firefox....problem corrected.

He also told me this is not isolated to Embarq...he has heard that other ISPs have had the same issue. He also told me this can create an issue with Google search...Google thinks it wants to search another country.