AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2008, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up Secunia Online Software Inspector

Didn't know if you guys were aware of this site or not. (Very good site)
I use it to keep up to date on the third party software I have installed to make sure they have the latest security patches...Good stuff.
I found out about this via Windows Secrets.
The screenshot below is the result of a scan on my computer just this morning. (5 seconds scan time)

The Secunia Online Software Inspector will inspect your operating system and software for insecure versions and missing security updates. A default inspection normally lasts 5-40 seconds, while a thorough inspection may take several minutes. Note: If you have anti-virus software or similar enabled, an inspection may increase significantly in duration.

NOTE: This is just for supplemental updating of programs & you shouldn't rely on just this to keep your programs patched & up to date with the latest
Security Patches & Critical fixes. You should manually do this yourself to be sure!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Secunia Online Software Inspector-image-0.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 24th September, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2008, 12:18 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's a good start, but be aware, it only picks up a subset of the installed software. For example, on one machine here, it identifies 17 bits of installed software. The machine in question has 187 bits of installed software, not counting hot fixes or security updates.
Old 24th September, 2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
It's a good start, but be aware, it only picks up a subset of the installed software. For example, on one machine here, it identifies 17 bits of installed software. The machine in question has 187 bits of installed software, not counting hot fixes or security updates.
Did you do the through system scan, or just the quicky scan for normal installed software?
No matter, I always take it upon myself every couple of weeks or more to keep all my programs up to date myself & don't rely on programs to do this for me. I just use this as supplemental.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2008, 02:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I did the thorough scan. The only reason I flagged this is I don't want someone falling into a false sense of security that everything's sweet, whilst their machine's been hoovered...
Old 24th September, 2008, 05:20 PM

Not that there is any dissagreement or anything but Aedan is spot on with his point. There is no piece of wonderware, at least that I know of!, but we all are a bit lazy and hope for it. I know I got complacent with an online site that scaned for viruses and such. I was doing things that put my computer at risk and started to rely on them because it was easy. ( I even knew better.) You can guess the rest of the story.
I'm not into the activities that put my computer at to much risk any more but I still have three different ons running full time and two others that I scan with about every two weeks.
A false sence of security is just to easy to fall into-like i said-I knew better!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 24th September, 2008, 07:17 PM

Arrow

There, I fixed the post...