AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th November, 2008, 12:24 AM

Is this a bug of sorts?

A couple of days ago, I noticed the time was off on my main rig. I went to change it and noticed I was a day off as well. Then I noticed my time zone was Kabul, Afghanistan!
I went to change that and could not. the drop down box for other times and zones gave the Kabul option and that was all. I've looked with my limited knowledge bu nothing yet. Could it be some sort of malware?
I've run 1 malware program and Windows One Care and a spy ware program. It would be nice if some one knew something about this one.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2008, 04:32 PM

Arrow

Anytime an option such as Windows time is "Locked" into something it shouldn't be is Bad.

It can be one of 2 (or more) problems.
1. There is corruption in the Windows Systems folders.
2. Your have been hacked & your computer is now a Zombie sending out millions of unwanted emails or worse OR your computer has Malware, Trojans, Viruses, Spyware, etc on it now.

At any rate, you should do something about this as it will effect your Folding.

Sorry, but I just found this post while looking through the forum PPM.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December, 2008, 06:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If the system has had any stability issues, it COULD just be a simple corruption thing.

I had a problem with the .NET 3.5 upgrade: my computer crashed during the installation. For some reason that I have yet to figure out, when the computer rebooted, the time service would sync to the time servers and speed my clock up by about 42 minutes. I could reset the clock as often as I wanted, and within 12 hours, it would be 42 minutes fast and stay there.

I ended up having to completely remove ALL .NET versions from my machine, and then reinstall them. After that, my clock was normal again.

Last edited by Gizmo; 6th December, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 6th December, 2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Anytime an option such as Windows time is "Locked" into something it shouldn't be is Bad.
Sorry, but I just found this post while looking through the forum PPM.
MUff1N,
It was #2 and the sob was hidden in the copy of Malabytes Anti-Maleware program I had gotten some time ago and thought I'd bring out and shake the dust off-Once an idiot, always an idiot!

Two positive things came out of it though, I learned my Acronis back-up was corrupt so it was perfect timing, and I learned AGAIN not to borrow copies of someone else's soft ware unless they came out of the womb at the same time I did!
I went here and i did what i was told and I found where and how the bugs got into my system. Then- and only then-did I format my drive a start clean. I've got a nice Acronis back up that I've verified and now my protection is the free system that cleaned my system of the crap that the paid programs let thru, and I had 4-2 running in the tray and another 2 that I run at least once a week. Link:
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/PC_Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
If the system has had any stability issues,
After that, my clock was normal again.
Mine was maleware as you have read but in the process of figuring out what was wrong, I located a .reg file that has all the time zones in it. I believe I uploaded it saying i didn't know what, how, if, or anything else you might want to do with it. Maybe I'm mistaken and just meant to.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 6th December, 2008, 07:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
I believe I uploaded it saying i didn't know what, how, if, or anything else you might want to do with it. Maybe I'm mistaken and just meant to.
Ah, THAT'S what that was all about.

I get e-mail notifications when new files are uploaded, but frankly I've been so busy with holiday related and family stuff that I haven't processed any uploads in the last couple of weeks. My bad, and I need to remedy that.

Last edited by Gizmo; 6th December, 2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 6th December, 2008, 04:24 PM

Arrow

Glad I could once again help you Mike.
Makes me feel like I'm at least worth something...yea it's the depression thing again, but at least I'm getting some sleep.

Old 6th December, 2008, 05:27 PM

Damn,
I'm sorry to hear that MUff!n. How long do yours usualy last? If I remember right, you prefer to ride it out w/o help. IMHO that's foolish but your every right.
You are 100% correct in that helping someone else is a great way to help yourself. After excercise-IT's ranked #2 after medication for helping depression.
I have no first hand knowledge of exercise-not going to have either!

Mareen just came out of a Depression thatlasted about 3mos. Tried so hard to get her in to my med Doc but she just didn't have the strength to deal with anoyher new Dr.Most people don't know how hard that can be!
Now that she has come out of it, she has made an appt.

You are going to have an oppertunity to help your problem next week. The 650w power supply comes in on Tues. i think, and then you can help me OC this rig!
Self serving? Right out front and laying in the sunshine-You got that right!
I don't have every thing the way I wanted before I went serious-Qoality wise-but It's time. I had to have more power-the fans dog down on boot before being able to get enough juice to go all opern agian. Windows first screen comes on like a little ol' lady trying to get in the pool! Kind of slowly testing as it stares to come in to clarity and then it's off to the races! Yup, I need those extra 150w. So get you OC hat out of the closet and be prepared to make yourself feel better naxt week.

P.S.
If you are up to it.

Old 6th December, 2008, 10:41 PM

Arrow

Not to worry, this is the "normal" depression I always have.
Feeling OLD, BROKEN & UGLY...

On the note of security, check out this thread I posted.
Very useful & free program. Checks to make sure all your
programs & plugins are up to date & patched so they don't pose
a security threat to your computer.

Secunia Personal Security Inspector

When you launch the program it takes about 40 seconds to load. Not sure why but it still works great!
I'm sure in the next version update they will speed that up.

Last edited by MUff1N; 6th December, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 7th December, 2008, 12:06 AM

Will do! I'll run yours as a complete run after I do mine. What is it the military call it? It's called the same thing in all aircraft systems. Come on,brain!! Brain lock. When you have two systems, one backing up the other, when one is all that is necessary. I was going to do a full sweep and defrag this weekend anyway and start to shut down some background programs. I want to shut off some unnecessary processes too. Do you have a info site for that. i can find one but if you have one handy it would be quicker.

Old 7th December, 2008, 07:27 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Will do! I'll run yours as a complete run after I do mine. What is it the military call it? It's called the same thing in all aircraft systems. Come on,brain!! Brain lock. When you have two systems, one backing up the other, when one is all that is necessary. I was going to do a full sweep and defrag this weekend anyway and start to shut down some background programs. I want to shut off some unnecessary processes too. Do you have a info site for that. i can find one but if you have one handy it would be quicker.
It's called redundant Failsafe backup systems which I use all the time.

Yea, my brain does that too & its getting worse as I get older.

Bookmark this site, it's very very good!
http://www.blackviper.com/

This is what you want... Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations

Last edited by MUff1N; 7th December, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 8th December, 2008, 12:20 AM

Great minds think alike! I had to look around a bit before my memory would kickin but Ive been there and Dissabled that what is called for in the "safe" collum.
I tried to be smart a couple of years back and screwerd things up!
I've been messing around with fans and different configurations and except for the Speed of the CPU fan-they have no efect- I need that side panel so I can get air flow.
Well, we will do what we can do and I think thatsgoing to be OK!

Old 8th December, 2008, 04:54 PM

Yea, the "Safe" services configuration is your all around best choice so you don't end up disabling a service that you may need.