AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2009, 08:27 AM

Anonymous Warning "Brace for April 1st"

Anonymous Warning Says "Brace for April 1st"
3/26/2009 by: Sean Kalinich

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...--updated.aspx

New Attack Targets the Edge of the Network, Routers and Modems - Updated - Bright Side Of News*

Yesterday we published a story about a new form of Virus that attacks the edge of the network targeting the hardware firewall/routers and DSL Modems that are popular today. Shortly after that article was published I received an ominous warning:

“Brace for April 1st“

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 1st April, 2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Bab news and then the good!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2009, 03:58 PM

Exclamation

Yep, today (April 1st aka April fools day) is the day that all the computers that are infected with the Conflicker worm start connecting
together to launch attacks against everything & everyone on the Internet that's not protected & patched
with the latest MS update patches.
Most of these computers are "Hacked" copies of XP & Vista in other countries so as long as you got
all your patches up to date & in place you should be fine.
That, & make sure you have autorun.ini disabled on your computer so that it can't be installed on your computer
via a flashdrive or external HD.

For more detailed info on what to do & how to remove the Conflicker Worm, read this...
Windows Secrets about Conflicker, what to do?

As far as protecting your router, read my post below Daniels here...They can't hack your router if they can't find it!
Nasty New Worm Targets Home Routers, Cable Modems

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 1st April, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2009, 04:21 PM

I might e nieve and a simple country boy but I'm just not worried about it.
What are they going to get from my rig? I don't open ANY email attachments unless they are from my family and they need to call and let me know! I've still gotten bugs and I don't have any problem grtting rid of them--so far.
Buy I'm in a uneque position-poor ThunderRoad! It's been a busy week for him I bet!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 1st April, 2009, 04:38 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
I might e nieve and a simple country boy but I'm just not worried about it.
What are they going to get from my rig? I don't open ANY email attachments unless they are from my family and they need to call and let me know! I've still gotten bugs and I don't have any problem grtting rid of them--so far.
Buy I'm in a uneque position-poor ThunderRoad! It's been a busy week for him I bet!
Even still PPM, it never hurts to have all your bases covered!!!
I for one NEVER take any chances when it comes to my system's security.

Old 1st April, 2009, 04:52 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Forget about the "can't hack you if they can't find you". Most automated scanning bots/malware/tools fire off their attacks regardless of any responses or otherwise from an IP address. Yes, they're dumb, but if you've got half a million dumb programs firing off attacks, you're going to hit something at some point...

You are only vulnerable if all of the following critiera are met:
  • Your router has a MIPS CPU running in little-endian mode. Fairly few manufacturers will document this, so it might be safer to assume this is true.
  • Your router has telnet, SSH or web interfaces available to the WAN. A portscan of your IP address (for ports 22,23 and 80) should tell you.
  • You have never changed the username/password that came set on the router -OR- there are known vulnerabilities in the firmware on your router.

If those three criteria are not met, then psyb0t cannot infect your router. So, therefore, you should have set a different password for your router, and you shouldn't be exposing telnet, SSH or web on the router to the Internet.

Some routers will expose one or some of telnet, SSH and web to the internet, regardless of what settings you have made. There's not a lot you can do about this, other than replacing the router.
Old 1st April, 2009, 07:33 PM

I've gotten a different router & it goes throug a switch and i channged the firmware about two weeks ago..With a hardware firewall & a software 2 fireware walls-that seems a little overkill. With three anti-virus,spyware, malware running I'm not that worried.
I'm a little late here-but I just picked up a 2WIRE 2700HG-D wireless DSL Router-need to get the AC power plug and therer are dozens at the thrift store.

Old 1st April, 2009, 09:48 PM

Arrow

Well, the latest news on the Conficker worm is that it's not doing anything at all.
It's just sitting on peoples machines waiting for instructions that haven't been given yet...
Nobody knows what the instructions will be as of yet either.

If you really want a good scare, go watch the "60 Minutes" version of this & the world as we know it is coming to an end!!!

60 Minutes title: The Internet is Infected!!!

"The Internet is infected. Malicious computer hackers have been creating more and more weapons that they plant on the Internet. They call their weapons viruses and worms--they're creepy, crawly toxic software that contaminate our computers without our ever knowing it. You can be infected by simply visiting your favorite Web site, or just by leaving your computer on, overnight while you're asleep."

OMG!!!

Last edited by MUff1N; 1st April, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 1st April, 2009, 11:23 PM

I cought that. i think that's when I said to hell with it-It would take an an Einstien to even have a possibilility of doing "60 Minutes" and since there aren't to many of those around, I'm pretty safe.

Tags
conficker