AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th April, 2009, 07:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

services with internet access question

Why would these following programs/services need internet access, specifically the ability to send mail? I've been having problems with my lappy and taking a look at my program control in ZoneAlarm, I thought it was odd that they would have mail access? These are the ones that were set to roam the internet wilderness freely and at my expense:

Com surrogate, console IME, Local Session Manager Service, Microsoft Management Console, Local Session Manager Service, Net command, Notepad, Reliability analysis metrics calculation executable, Windows Control Panel, Windows Task Manager, WMI Reverse Performance Adapter Maintenance Utility, and last but, not least, Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service configuration app, which I have disabled several times and it still keeps showing up.

I've ran several different scans trying to find virus/spyware, I'm convinced i have something, quite often I have to reboot because up to 90% of my ram is in use and it freezes up. I've scanned with avg, trendmicro, and a few others, zonealarm was the only one to find anything and it said it fixed it, but, i still get problems
and I'm not savy enough to use hijackthis
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th April, 2009, 02:33 AM
Member/Contributer

All you need to do with Hijack This, is run a system scan, and save the log file. Then post it here. Someone here can always analyse it for you, and let you know which ones to remove.

Also can you post a screenshot of your process tab in the task manager, sorted by memory usage.

Something I have seen lately is the different google apps (toolbar, desktop, etc) cause problems on peoples PC's.
Check how much free HDD space you have, XP doesn't like less than ~5% free disk.
Do a disk cleanup and defrag. Both can be found in the same folder.

Could you also please post the specs of your laptop.

Something I have found great use in memory management for XP is a programme called CachemanXP, sits in the sys tray, and can free up RAM from programmes which are holding onto it, and don't need to.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!