AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July, 2009, 06:30 PM
AOA Staff

Microsoft Offers Secure Windows … But Only to the Government

It’s the most secure distribution version of Windows XP ever produced by Microsoft: More than 600 settings are locked down tight, and critical security patches can be installed in an average of 72 hours instead of 57 days. The only problem is, you have to join the Air Force to get it.

See front page:
AOA - Microsoft Offers Secure Windows … But Only to the Government

Comments?
Old 1st July, 2009, 09:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Before I started using Linux...joining the Air force to get a decently secured OS might have seemed a fair deal! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July, 2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Before I started using Linux...joining the Air force to get a decently secured OS might have seemed a fair deal! ":O}
Is Linux "that" much more secure than Windows? By that, I mean I've read that Linux is more secure than Windows, but how much? And how much is needed?
An example of what I'm asking is like this:
Someone tried to steal our car about a year ago. The person was at least a semi-pro. He defeated the door locks and the ignition without breaking anything but when Mareen bought the car new from Satern, she had a anti-theft, computer key installed. He couldn't, or wouldn't take the time, to defeat that. She went into a security fixation, not unknown or unreasonable! I've done it myself! So I went ad bought "the club" as another level of security.
In the last few months I have quit using it. Not because it's any real hassle, it's not, but because just why do this every time you get in the car just because someone did something one time in both of our lifetimes? And he failed!
The glad the Air Force has it, (what about the other services?) but just why would I need such a system? I don't. Do I need to switch to Linux because it's more secure than Windows? I don't see it.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July, 2009, 01:21 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Is Linux "that" much more secure than Windows? By that, I mean I've read that Linux is more secure than Windows, but how much? And how much is needed?
An example of what I'm asking is like this:
Someone tried to steal our car about a year ago. The person was at least a semi-pro. He defeated the door locks and the ignition without breaking anything but when Mareen bought the car new from Satern, she had a anti-theft, computer key installed. He couldn't, or wouldn't take the time, to defeat that. She went into a security fixation, not unknown or unreasonable! I've done it myself! So I went ad bought "the club" as another level of security.
In the last few months I have quit using it. Not because it's any real hassle, it's not, but because just why do this every time you get in the car just because someone did something one time in both of our lifetimes? And he failed!
The glad the Air Force has it, (what about the other services?) but just why would I need such a system? I don't. Do I need to switch to Linux because it's more secure than Windows? I don't see it.
To give an analogy, rather than being pedantic about security (desktop linux is really not like working in a supermax prison, you only get prompted by Sgt. Shultz if you try to do something that could be permanent / dangerous.) its more like this:

If you have a very secure car, someone can probably still knick it if they're smart and familiar enough with the particular vehicle. By contrast, the first BMW I had used this "L-Jettronic" fuel injection system with a nice single socketed multi pin plug going into the ECU, which was located just under the steering column. Not many car thieves carry Bosch L-Jettronic ECUs around with them, which was a good thing since any kid with a screwdriver could have started it otherwise.

Its just a matter of, windows viruses don't work. Because they're designed for windows, and to exploit windows flaws, which are not present in linux. Malware is the same. Typically mail distributed viruses don't cater to linux, and even if they did, if the application tried to access a part of the disk it didn't have the right to touch it wouldn't have access.

So yea, just like how the Vorlons need a methane atmosphere to breathe, and can't survive in human atmospheres without their encounter suit, most Windows viruses can't survive on linux without Wine
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 8th July, 2009, 04:02 PM

Ok, that was what my perspective was before reading the article, and is back to being that way. I am just one person with one computer (change that to two in the next few days!) and sometimes forget that. Some articles arn't meant for "me" but a bigger audience.
My main concern about security isn't viruses, so much as info. I've had viruses, and will agian. While i hear there are some realy bad ones, any I've had to deal with are more in the line of a pain in the neck. As in both the Saturn and the BMW, I have different layers of security for Windows and while most are dealt with in that manner , once in a while, one will get through, mainly through my lack of judgment than anything else.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Tags
operating system , windows xp