AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th August, 2009, 05:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

WSJ: China not requiring Green Dam software

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 13 August 2009

The Chinese government may be waving a white flag in response to all the criticism of its Green Dam filtering software.

August 13, 2009 7:56 AM PDT
by Lance Whitney [Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2009, 05:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"Sometimes there just aren't enough stones..."

(Forest Gump)
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th August, 2009, 05:03 PM

I think people sometimes forget that China is not a democracy..
Old 14th August, 2009, 05:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

What worries me more is that WE use to be and now are no more... The tide of history is a hard one to predict...

http://www.aclu.org/torturedlogic/index2.php
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th August, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 15th August, 2009, 04:59 PM

America has spoken, it no longer wants a democracy. It's way too hard...
Old 15th August, 2009, 06:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, you have to go to school and stuff...which means that evil government has to tax to provide them...I can't remember the last time California voted to fund their own kids education....Or health...or art...or PE...or school lunches...Or collage

Except for Health ( but then Doctors weren't trying to get rich rather than to heal) we had all of these when I was growing up there...We've pretty much decided we hate our kids and that they should NOT have what our parents provided for us.

Show me one thing we do that shows our collective love for them we gave birth to?

If we don't change this now we will be overwhelmed by what is coming... any one with an education can see this...

I'm self educated (Not because it wasn't available, I wasn't capable of personally attending collage, (dyslexia) and I can see this as plain as the nose on another's face.

We are utterly failing our children, America has become the PIT they cannot rise up out of without our help. But we'd rather have SUV's than an educated population.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th August, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 15th August, 2009, 10:14 PM

How about accountability for the money they receive now before more taxation without representation. I've known more than my fair share of city and state employees. 90% of them are worthless. They go out on site to do a 30 minute job, then sleep for 2 hours as that is what was established between the other employees that it should take. That way they never have to do a full days work for a full days pay. My last neighbor would actually come home before they installed GPS in his truck. He also never seemed to lack in supplies around his house either. Pretty good deal when you make 70K a year, health coverage, retirement plan, only have to work 1/2 a day and on top of that bring home extras. And that is at the bottom of the food chain..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 15th August, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 16th August, 2009, 12:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If I grant all you've said... Are we really going to deny our own children because were not smart enough to stop corruption among public officials, aren't involved enough to know who we elect to office, or what they do after they are elected?

We don't neglect them out of principle, we neglect them because we are a silly and insignificant people who have yet to even achieve "Nation".

The French, English, German, Chinese don't act this way because they relate to one another as a "People", we relate to each other as sea pirates, winner take all and keep it until it turns to dust... Well that's mt perspective! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th August, 2009, 11:46 AM

Here's my problem with that train of thought: Not only do you want to share in the food on my table, but you also want to tell me what to do with the rest of it. To do so would probably cost you your share, so a third party has to become involved, mostly they are their to take the blame. Meanwhile they seem to be your enemy as well as mine.. The third party will not achieve the results you are after, but that doesn't seem to bother you either.

I don't have a college education, or even a high school education. What I do have is plenty of heart and a desire to aquire knowledge and abilities.

I have been to a couple of the places you mentioned, people are pretty much people no matter what country they live in. The ties that bind elsewhere are common dislikes, not so much that they are a nation that sees each other as people. I started a vacation in France, 26 hours into it I decided to vacation in Spain. Kind of figured if I get called a "stupid American" just for walking in the hotel lobby, going out for a night on the town would only end up a disaster with me being locked up in a foriegn country.

I think I have solution that would be agreeable to both of us. We scour the country for people living on taxpayer money by choice rather than need. We take everything from them, then use it to fund our childrens future.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 16th August, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 16th August, 2009, 04:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I think we can leave this here for now...until one of us has a change in perspective...
Meanwhile we neglect our nations children as no other modern country does...Which is why we are so far from #1 that we are indeed laughable and truly tragic...and yes EVEN the FRENCH do way way better than we.

Cliff is it really so important that no one should cheat us, which they do either way, that we won't provide for those in true need? For the children and parents of our nation? Where in lies our future Cliff?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 16th August, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 19th August, 2009, 07:16 PM

I must apologize for my behavior. Been under more than a little stress this past week or so.

You know me, I do not forsake anyone in need. My perspective has always been, I will not give you everything I have, but I will give you some and then teach you what it takes to do it yourself.

I've taken enough youngsters under my wing over the years, they wanted to know how to do what I do. 7 out of 7 have given up so far. They just didn't want to learn or put in the effort, even though it would have only been a fraction of the time and effort it took me to learn my craft. I have been working on cars since I was 10 years old, racing since I was 14. (noone asks for a drivers license at the track).. Kids these days seem to want free everything, yet they expect the same quality as those who have to pay.. It just can't happen, if it does I will move to the free everything side..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th August, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 19th August, 2009, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No doubt that my gen has done the worst job of raising the youth of any in my memory...

The shame is...we knew better, we just sold out.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th August, 2009, 08:59 PM

I'm not so sure it come down to a certain generation. Knowledge and usable skills just aren't being passed down any longer. People are relying on the education system to do their job for them and this just isn't feasible as the world already has enough ambulance chasers and half-assed doctors..

Prime example. My brother-in-law works in a landscaping material pit mine, as the guy that fixes everything on site, fills in where-ever he is needed as well. He can basically run the entire operation, because he has the skills to do so. His son, my nephew, cannot drive a stick shift or even change his own oil...

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th August, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 20th August, 2009, 03:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

"He who denies his son a trade raises a thief"

Jewish proverb.

I had Free Education, art classes, Drama and a little theater.( In High School, A real stage and Theater seats , they sold tickets and it ALWAYS paid for it self!) Kennedy started our Physical fitness program. Free breakfasts at school and lunches for the kids who needed it.

JR Collage cost me $75.00 a semester, $45 a quarter, There were school work programs and books were cheap and widely passed around and shared, The Schools I went to set up meets where you could buy your books from last quarters students. I was encouraged to go to school when ever I was unemployed, by the State!

Now? Now we meet the people we failed to educate as we were educated by our parents.. What a disgrace!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 20th August, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 21st August, 2009, 12:01 AM

There is also the other side of the coin, my nephew is not interested in learning how to do these things, believe me, I've tried to teach him.. He wants to be a rock star, but for now he is content doing battle of the band shows and working 8 - 12 hours a week at CVS pharmacy.. So it can not be fully blamed on the parenting..

I think it may be partially due to the ease of acquiring information.. If they want to know something it is just search engine away.. Maybe they figure everything should be so easy..
Old 21st August, 2009, 04:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

To tell you the truth Cliff, I don't think we have changed one bit since we left the caves. There have alway been gear heads, artist, dreamers to inspire doers.... and those who just never seem to find their way.

But be nice to the kid, you just never know! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2009, 04:51 AM

I could do quite well in a cave.. Some primitive tools to build stuff, a big stick to beat stuff with and I would be a happy camper..

Throughout all of the years in trying to help these youngsters, the phrase I get tired of hearing is: "You're lucky that you know how to do all this" They never seem to catch on that I wasn't born with ability to do all this.. Then again, I still follow the rule that turning out a quality product time and time again is more important than getting rich..
Old 21st August, 2009, 06:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

...You'd miss Linux wouldn't ya Cliff...miss Linux!? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd August, 2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
...You'd miss Linux wouldn't ya Cliff...miss Linux!? ":O}
Actually I probably would. Then there are the days I don't even bother to turn to my computer on..
Old 22nd August, 2009, 06:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have days like that...when I "almost" don't turn my computer on! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur