AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2009, 01:59 PM
AOA Staff

'China using elite hacker community to build cyber warfare capability'

See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c...apability.html

Comments?
Old 23rd October, 2009, 03:17 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Attacks from China are pretty common, for whatever reasons, and they have been for a few years.
Old 23rd October, 2009, 03:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

My router logs indicate a LOT of chinese traffic against my office servers, and have ever since I started tracking it (10 years ago). A substantial portion of it appears to originate from Beijing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2009, 04:35 PM

If you want some more information as to China's take on "cyber warfare" you could look at PLA Senior Colonels on Unrestricted Warfare: Part I.

I'll present the summary here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by above URL
Two senior PLA Air Force colonels wrote "Unrestricted Warfare", presented here in summary translation, to explore how technology innovation is setting off a revolution in military tactics, strategy and organization. "Unrestricted Warfare" discusses new types of warfare which may be conducted by civilians as well as by soldiers including computer hacker attacks, trade wars and finance wars. "Unrestricted Warfare" provides insight into the thinking of some Chinese military theorists about the impact of science and technological change on China and other countries. Many Chinese books and magazines on military subjects have appeared this year. Overviews of three other recent books by a National Defense University Professor on innovations on the lessons of the Gulf and Kosovo wars along with his reflections on post-Kosovo U.S. - China relations are provided in the appendix to this first of four summaries of "Unrestricted Warfare".
With that in mind, are you surprised that China behaves the way it does?
Old 23rd October, 2009, 07:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Rome (The USA) is dead...long live Rome (The PRC).

Who would have thought they would simply buy us!!??
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2009, 07:19 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Nice site. It'd be interesting to see the original (untranslated) version, though it'll probably take me a week to decipher each paragraph *sigh*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
With that in mind, are you surprised that China behaves the way it does?
Nope. What's more interesting is comparing this against this and against D~'s response.

People are already talking as if the Chinese are going to "win", whatever that means. There seems almost to be a dull acceptance of the fact that Western society has reached it's zenith, and it's the turn of the Chinese to take over.

Which needn't be the case at all...
Old 25th October, 2009, 01:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I semi-agree as to historical necessity... However if you were here watching the circus as we try to get health care for every one...(except for 30,000,000 of our poorest and most in need) you would understand just how corrupt our government is!

"The best" Senate bill ( one of 5 to choose from) would require every American to buy insurgence at insidiously high rates fromtruly evil insurance companies that don't cover fat babies, don't cover thin babies and don't cover women who had a baby by c-section, don't cover women whose husbands beat them (pre-exiting condition!).

If I choose not to buy it ( and I most assuredly would not!) ...(I'd rather die...literally!)

I will be fined by my government through the IRS (Tax man) and could go to jail for not paying that fine!)

This probably won't pass, but it's a real threat!

Any Corporation or nation can buy a US congressmen or senator! Even as Obama was promising health reform he took $18,000,000 ( Campaign contribution} ( after he had already won!)and quietly promised the insurance corps that single payer insurance would not be brought up (No insurance company involved!) and it wasn't!

Mean while the bailout money was used in part to lobby against reform of banking and...you guessed it health care!

Mean while Obama brags about the peanuts he's throwing at alternative energy research!

THIS from the "Liberal" party!! No, nature does not suffer countries this stupid to live for very long...if there isn't a real and deep revolution soon we are finished as a first world country let alone as a world leader.

We STOPPED educating our people around 30 years ago, now the corporations own both parties, though the Republicans seem about to totally self destruct, this will have little impact as the corps still own the Dems...

"Those who can not be made to listen, must be made to feel"
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th October, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 25th October, 2009, 07:16 PM

I've been following the US reaction to the concept of universal healthcare with interest. Part of me is surprised that Obama's not been burned at the stake for being a Communist yet

Still, by choosing the worst aspects of all semi-private systems around the world, you can rest assured that he's an out-and-out capitalist.

On the rest of your post, I have only half-formed ideas. I disagree that education stopped: I think that somewhere along the lines critical thinking was replaced by cynicism, ideology replaced with Facebook, and intellectual stimulation replaced with test after test after test... the better to turn out very well educated souls that make money but think very much inside the box.
Old 25th October, 2009, 07:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OH! Upper middle class kids still get an education/indoctrination... but the rest are fed school lunches by Mac Donald, have The History of Tootie-pops ( I AM NOT making this up) as part their primary readers ( so we don't have to buy readers you see!) and need math and science teachers at the high school level to sell ad space on their tests to local businesses to pay to print out those tests....

70 percent of high school grads can not name the three branches of OUR government and Sarha Palin the part time Governor looks like a viable leader to 30% of my country men.

Trust me K. It's far worse than you realize...most our high school grads in MOST states can not read a newspaper. In some states, school is now part time!! as We don't want to raise taxes to pay for full time!

We no longer have Physical ED, we are extremely FAT as a nation , but we don't want to pay for sports, or Music or the arts! I had all of these things in a small back water of San Diego when it was just a Navy base 55 years ago!

All of these things are the hallmark of a nation raised in ignorance. It creates a population that can have thoughts implanted like "I want to save the world from global warming if it doesn't cost to much.
I really think that our government really believes that if they don't vote for it, global warming will have to stop in it's tracks and negotiate with them!

If EU and Asia and Africia can save the world I'm pulling fot you...but don't look for any help from my back ass ward country!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th October, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 25th October, 2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Trust me K. It's far worse than you realize...our high school grads in many states can not read a newspaper. In some states school is now part time!! as We don't want to raise taxes to pay for full time!
Ah, I see. You'd best start learning Mandarin, then

你的阅读障碍可能是问题。。。
Old 25th October, 2009, 07:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If there were time for me to learn Mandarin Global warming would be a natural occurrence! ":O}

( As opposed to having CO2 going up at a rate 1000 time faster than at any time in the last 30,000,000 years. Imagine 350 parts per million is 37 parts to late!... you know....you may have just caught me on a bad day! LOL)

P.S. For any who may not have heard this yet:

350 is the number of parts per million Co2 can reach and still sustain human life in the long term. we are currently at 387. Felt obligated to mention this.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th October, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 26th October, 2009, 06:50 AM
Steve Jobs

Sweden's health system looks pretty sweet. And they've got blondes.

I'm sold.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 26th October, 2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Nice site. It'd be interesting to see the original (untranslated) version, though it'll probably take me a week to decipher each paragraph *sigh*.
<snip>
People are already talking as if the Chinese are going to "win", whatever that means. There seems almost to be a dull acceptance of the fact that Western society has reached it's zenith, and it's the turn of the Chinese to take over.
From my perspective, there is no "win" really. China needs the rest of the world as much as the rest of the world needs China. However, there are a lot of people who seem to be have conditioned into seeing China as "the enemy" (Well, at least one of the enemies!), and deciding that there's no way to compete against them.

You have to start wondering if some of this defeatist thinking is what brought other "great" civilisations down too?
Old 26th October, 2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
You have to start wondering if some of this defeatist thinking is what brought other "great" civilisations down too?
Probably a large part of it, but I doubt on the scale we see today. When in history has the general population been as well educated and as well informed?

Does that general availability of information cause as much harm as it cures? Did Northern Rock go bankrupt because its investment portfolio was awful? Or did the British media talk it into collapse through shameless headline-chasing? Did the likes of Robert Peston report the recession or did they make it?

Is that not information-sabotage, going by the "Unrestricted Warfare" principle?

We form our opinions based on the information we receive. From where are people getting the idea that the West's time is up?
Old 26th October, 2009, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

China seems to be doing our jobs as well as we use to... if we didn't still need jobs I think we would embrace the arrangements of the rich with the helpful tyrants of this world more readily...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Tags
china , cybersecurity , hacking , warfare