AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2010, 07:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Microsoft counters report of Google's dumping Windows

Defends Windows security despite Google's no comment on dropping OS
On the heels of a report that Google will phase out Windows in its workplace over security concerns, Microsoft on Tuesday stood up for its operating system.

[Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2010, 07:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"But everyone says I'm pretty!"
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2010, 07:52 PM

So lets see, the largest data-mining company in the world, which knows more about me than my parents and even has pictures of my house posted on the net is dropping Microsoft for a security flaw in IE6. Who the hell uses IE6 anymore. ( Oh I know, google still uses it)

Google in itself is a security flaw but I doubt they would be willing to drop it in the name of data security.
Old 2nd June, 2010, 08:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Given the overall behaviour of both companies, I'll take Google over MS any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

However, THIS does seem somewhat like the pot calling the kettle black.

The fact is that Google has been steadily developing in impressive software stack, starting with their GoogleApps, and then Chrome and soon ChromeOS. Google are rapidly approaching the point where they can do everything they need using in-house developed tools. I suspect this is just an opportunity for them to take a swipe an MS, more than anything else.
Old 3rd June, 2010, 01:53 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Who the hell uses IE6 anymore. ( Oh I know, google still uses it)
A large part of the corporate world, when compatibility with IE6 was a desirable thing when writing web apps. Remember MS wanted their own version of protocols that didn't support any other browser. Unfortunately that seems to mean that it's not supported by other versions of IE either.
Old 3rd June, 2010, 03:30 PM

Didn't think of that.

I still wouldn't choose Google over MS. Information will always be more powerful than money.
Old 3rd June, 2010, 03:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, but at the moment (IMO) Google are abusing their power less, and giving back more.

Do I expect that to eventually change? Of course! Google are a corporation, after all, and that kind of power must eventually completely corrupt.
Old 3rd June, 2010, 05:45 PM

I understand what you are saying, but from my experiences in life, I have seen people take the lesser of two evils at the moment only to cost them dearly for a long time coming.

MS is a known enemy, but I feel Google is just a fake friend.

Seems we live in an age where we offered two answers for everything, Both of which are wrong.
Old 3rd June, 2010, 06:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Seems we live in an age where we offered two answers for everything, Both of which are wrong.
A perfect summation of modern life! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur