AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13th September, 2002, 11:29 PM
eobard

stupid or just inattentive

Am I smarter than large chunks of society or do a lot of people just not pay attention? Today I got about my dozenth email from an address that was completely unfamiliar to me, with an attachment, and with a topic in the title that meant nothing specific to me, and with no body in the message. Does some fool out there really think I'm going to open his virus? He must because people keep making them. I don't just mean viruses at all, I mean stupidly planned and executed viruses like the one I just received (and immediately destroyed). I don't want virus makers to put more effort into their work but it doesn't say anything good about society that such drivel is actually capable of causing problems.
Old 14th September, 2002, 12:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I suppose I'm a bit perverse about this, but the incompetence of virus spreaders pisses me off almost as much as their intentions.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th September, 2002, 12:13 AM
eobard

My point exactly. It's like going on a picnic with several people, one of whom you want to kill, and then opening up the picnic basket and, in front of everybody, pull out 3 sandwiches with stickers on them saying "Normal sandwiches" and a fourth one with a label that says "Poison sandwich, rememeber to give this one to Roy"
Old 14th September, 2002, 12:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

So we arrive at a definition of virus spreaders:
Stupid and mean spirited.

Virus creators are a bit worse:
intelligent and stupidly mean spirited.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th September, 2002, 02:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Re: stupid or just inattentive

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Am I smarter than large chunks of society or do a lot of people just not pay attention? Today I got about my dozenth email from an address that was completely unfamiliar to me, with an attachment, and with a topic in the title that meant nothing specific to me, and with no body in the message. Does some fool out there really think I'm going to open his virus? He must because people keep making them. I don't just mean viruses at all, I mean stupidly planned and executed viruses like the one I just received (and immediately destroyed). I don't want virus makers to put more effort into their work but it doesn't say anything good about society that such drivel is actually capable of causing problems.
Ah, eobard. You've said it again. Blue ribbon!!
Old 15th September, 2002, 09:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

hehe, the reason it works is "autopreview" if some (unknowledgable/temp. insane) person is using outlook (first mistake) and has autopreview on (by default) and decides to delete the message but left clicks the message to select it which also autopreviews it and activates the virsus...

its like a wolf in wolfs clothing that still sneaks up on you

my question is: how can somone use a system for several years and not learn anything about it? (ie computers/software)
Old 15th September, 2002, 10:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Most PC use is highly specialized. They run two or three Business apps.
and are used between coffee breaks. Not much incentive for the people using them to learn more...the boss would just get suspicious! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th September, 2002, 01:11 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

drow_elf has it more correct than he realizes. Most corporate boxes are pretty much installed once and then left on their own. Outlook is pretty much safe as long as you have the security patches installed. If you don't then you're a sitting duck. The problem is that most large companies rely too much on their firewalls and email filters. They rarely keep their software up to date. Truth be told, keeping up with security patches is a job is a pain in the @ss and costs considerable resources for a company. Because of these simplistic views, if anything gets through the firewalls and email filters, the virus will launch as soon as the autopreview kicks in. I'm sure it happens all the time.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 16th September, 2002, 08:39 PM
eobard

I just got two more just now. There should be a criminal penalty for people who try to cause havoc with others but fail due to overwhelming incompotence.

Guilty of sending out a virus: "X" number of years.

Guilty of sending out a virus that is so badly executed that it automatically fails 99% of the time: "X" number of years times two.