AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th September, 2002, 02:33 PM
Member/Contributer

WinXP firewall

WinXP has a firewall option. I just want to know, how good is this built in firewall? Is it ok for personal use, or easy to go around for hackers?

When I get my broadband, I will like to at least feel a certain level of security. Will XP firewall supply me with this feeling?

Tak!
Old 14th September, 2002, 06:53 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'm sure SM will chime in here shorty. He know's ALL about that stuff.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th September, 2002, 02:33 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This remains a puzzlement to me, too. I'm using ZA out of habit, and its new improved interface is nothing of the sort.
Old 15th September, 2002, 04:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

though I cannot say for sure, I heard that ZoneAlarm was the core of the firewall in XP. I could very well be wrong though.

I don't get the number of hits you would expect from cable. I had roadrunner before and my attacks were easily 100 times as much as they are now with them. You can get away with using the built in one, but if it's to store critical files, I'd suggest turning it off and going with a 'brand name' one. Maybe sygate or something.
Old 15th September, 2002, 02:07 PM
Member/Contributer

No critical files. None what-so-ever! lol

Turns out that I probably won't get a static IP address. It will be dynamic, so I guess it isn't that important after all.

But I would still like to know more about WinXP FW, though.
Old 15th September, 2002, 07:02 PM
Banned

I used it on my server (dropped ZA because it would start having issues after 1 week+ of use ) for about 3 months and never had an invasion (I was aware of at least).
Old 16th September, 2002, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Still, it's a very basic firewall that lacks some functionality. At their best, firewalls serve a dual purpose: They keep hostile code out of your machine by serving as a perimeter defense, and they prevent your computer from becoming an unwitting pawn in cyberattacks by foiling hackers' attempts to hijack it. Unlike other personal firewalls on the market, such as Zone Alarm or Norton Personal Firewall, the Microsoft product fails to block suspicious outbound traffic coming from your desktop because it assumes any data traffic originating from your desktop must be valid.
From Business Week online.

Quote:
ICF is a powerful packet firewall, but it does not have all the features and functionality of an enterprise solution. Its main purpose is to protect stand-alone systems with broadband Internet connections. ICF is ideal protection for telecommuters and corporate remote-access solutions.

ICF is either on or off; you cannot selectively protect specific ports or protocols. You do have the ability to allow a few protocols to pass, such as HTTP, FTP, and L2TP. You also have the ability to define additional ports. ICF also includes logging capabilities that allow you to record unsuccessful inbound traffic and successful outbound traffic. Recording all successful outbound traffic will generate some large, unwieldy log files, but monitoring unsuccessful inbound attempts will give you a good picture of what attacks are being attempted against the system. The log files can be accessed by an administrator and copied to other administrators via the network, giving them the ability to determine if individual machines are under attack
From IT World. Some good and some bad. I refuse to use it for the sole paranoid and delusional theory that Bill Gates himself actually reads the log files every version of Windows software sends to his personal email at 8:00am each day.......
Anyway, hope that helps a bit
Old 16th September, 2002, 01:06 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

The built-in firewall doesn't prevent outgoing stuff. Like in the case of a trojan that's broadcasting info. This alone is reason enough to go with something else. If I recall correctly, it also had issues with UPnP.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2002, 07:41 PM

You are quite correct mook. It has issues with just about anything it comes in contact with. I was trying not to flame M$ for it, so I used quotes from other sources. Only thing I use winders for is games....sad but true.....linux begs me to leave the dark side....the voices in my head tell me that anyway
Old 16th September, 2002, 08:22 PM

I've used this for over 4 years and like it very well, has anybody else tried it?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 17th September, 2002, 12:40 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
I've used this for over 4 years and like it very well, has anybody else tried it?
I used to use Blackice before. Blackice also has issues with preventing outgoing info in the case of trojans and spyware. Most reviewers prefer either Tiny or Zonealarm because of this.

AOA Team fah

Old 17th September, 2002, 01:00 PM

The last two versions address that feature. Application Protection watches all applications that attempt to access the internet and will not allow them to run unless you ok them. I found it very cumbersome until it learned my programs, but very effective. Any slight variation in a program and it detected it. It also looked at applications running within your PC attempting to access information.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 17th September, 2002, 01:15 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
The last two versions address that feature. Application Protection watches all applications that attempt to access the internet and will not allow them to run unless you ok them. I found it very cumbersome until it learned my programs, but very effective. Any slight variation in a program and it detected it. It also looked at applications running within your PC attempting to access information.
Glad to hear they finally addressed it. I see the new version is 3.5, I believe it was up to version 2.9 that had the problem. Another thing about Blackice I don't really like is the fact that it used to hog up CPU power. I don't know if it still does that, but it used to consume resources like a hog.

AOA Team fah

Old 17th September, 2002, 02:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 17th September, 2002, 09:09 PM

A good rule of thumb is that the more popular a firewall is, the more suceptable it becomes to 'hackers' (I know I spelt suceptable wrong ) Using a no name firewall may not be the best bet either. Go with a proven name, but please, for the love of all that is right. NO NORTON OR MCAFFEE~!

My bud uses Sygate and stands by it. I'll likely give it a whirl myself soon as well. I tried blackice several times and found that it left me wide open. My brother would enter my box and bring up notepad and IM me whenever I had it on.....my notepad....on my box.....

ZoneAlarm's nice but is getting bloated....hell, I dunno which one's the best, I only know the ones I don't care for.

(this post probably did more confusion than good )
Old 17th September, 2002, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemojo
My brother would enter my box and bring up notepad and IM me whenever I had it on.....my notepad....on my box.....
Thanks for the heads up. I've never had a problem with it, but I've never had someone do that either! (Heck, I use notepad for html all day long!)

Quote:
My bud uses Sygate and stands by it. I'll likely give it a whirl myself soon as well.
I'll check it out, thanks.

BTW, no, I for one didn't find this confusing in the least!

Old 17th September, 2002, 10:20 PM

Here is the Sygate site for personal firewalls. It's free for personal use:

Protects against Trojans, spyware, worms and other known & unknown threats
Prevents unauthorized or malicious applications from bypassing the firewall
Enables even inexperienced users to easily customize and fine-tune security policies
Provides best of breed evidence logs for intrusion analysis
Easiest-to-use PC firewall and still free for personal/home use

I think I'll give it a whirl.

More info on Sygate from unoficial source.

Trade up from other intrusion software and buy pro at 20% discount

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 17th September, 2002 at 10:33 PM.
Old 17th September, 2002, 10:44 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

I've been using sygate on and off...hate the xp firewall...tiny personal firewall is good, but, it gets bloody annoying to be told of absolutely every little thing, and it doesn't tell you what the thing is!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 18th September, 2002, 02:07 AM

Quote:
BTW, no, I for one didn't find this confusing in the least!
Glad you could decipher my random thought there UB

I'm dl'n Sygate now to give it a go. I normally don't bother with the whole firewall thing unless I'm doing mass downloading from clients or P2P, but Orbit tells me its a darn good one, doesn't 'get in the way' and can be set up to run efficiently with very little interaction or maintenance. I can't be arsed with fiddling with the cutsey (actually highly annoying pop ups telling me "Firewall has blocked a hellish intrusion from *&% IP. Your mp3's and email are safe and sound"

He's also mentione eTrust antivirus being well worth the install as well. AV is something I never run, but unless you're 1 of 3 people, your email is checked via web anyway. I've gotten 1 virus so far....Thats all it took was that 1. Now I only check mail via webmail. Glad I kept that old Yahoo! account. I use it for ordering purchases and resumes (I hate my job btw. )6mb mailbox with 3mb attachments. Comes in handy. Biggest bonus? NO SPAM
Old 18th September, 2002, 04:52 AM

well crap...after all that stuff we wrote and thought about up there, I read about a big ole security hole in Sygate. Wadda drag

I'll still use it...everythings got holes. If someone wants in, software ain't gonna stop them. Maybe its hardware time

*special note*
never buy cisco