AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

View Poll Results: Is it right to put overclocking software with Cards
yes it is good save u finding it 2 66.67%
no tricks ppl that don't know 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2004, 11:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

think about it

overclocking software on disk that come with video card
i starting to think the makes of video card r puting in this software so more ppl overclock there card so they lose there 12 months that the card wood have b replaceable i don't think it is right that they put it with the driver but then if u screw your card with it they go too bad haha
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2004, 03:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hi scottman.

It's really more of a case where their customers demand the ability to overclock their cards. If they didn't allow for it, their customers would go else where.

As always one must be careful to stay within the guidelines offered in the manual. If one stays within those lines one is "Usually" fairly safe.

Yes without proper cooling O/Cing will shorten the life of your card.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2004, 04:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It isn't so much a case of 'Buyer beware' as it is 'Use at your own risk'. As Daniel ~ says, the software is included by the vendor because more and more people have demanded it, and if the vendor didn't provide it, the customers would go to a vendor that did provide it. However, ANY time you overclock, you have to assume that you are voiding the warranty. The product was DESIGNED to operate at the specified speeds and voltages, and is only guaranteed to operate properly at those speeds and voltages. If you try to operate outside those parameters (by over- or underclocking, or over- or undervolting) and the product fails to operate as advertised, that is not the manufacturer's fault.

Think of it this way:

Your car has a tachometer that goes to 7000 RPM (or 8 or 9, or whatever). Sure, the engine can run that fast, but if you run it that fast all the time, it's going to blow. Now whose fault is it when the engine blows up? It is only the manufacturer's fault if they sold you the car on the promise that you could redline the engine all day every day.

That being the case, my advice to you would be to contact your vendor, tell them EXACTLY what happened, and see if they can work with you. Most vendors will appreciate the honesty. You will almost certainly have to fork over some dosh, but you may be able to avoid having to buy a completely new card.

Remember, our hobby is risky. We specialize in pushing our equipment to the limits of its operational integrity, and then keeping it there. Sometimes, we push too hard. When we do, it costs us.
Old 22nd March, 2004, 12:09 AM
AOA Staff

You also drive your car at high speeds at your own risk!
Old 22nd March, 2004, 10:32 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Only if you're not stuck on the M25... Then you drive your car at very low speeds entirely at your own risk!
Old 1st April, 2004, 12:38 AM

lol i see i still thnk it is not right ppl that want to overclock shoud download the programs them self
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Old 9th April, 2004, 04:02 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman
lol i see i still thnk it is not right ppl that want to overclock shoud download the programs them self
Overclocking costs companies money.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th April, 2004, 05:37 AM

lol it did when i killed my old card lol
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300