AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th June, 2005, 12:05 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Minolta make a good camera but they're unfashionable for some reason. I used to have a dimage 7i and it was excellent. Find out what model it is and we'll see what we can find

Here's an example from the 7i

http://www.hardmuircroft.plus.com/Wi...slides/bee.jpg
Old 14th June, 2005, 06:04 AM
Steve Jobs

Very impressive picture of the bee!

Its a 2003 camera, 5MP, 5X optical, with the lense offset to the right (looking from the front) and a large space between it and the flash on the left. Its silver, doesnt have a sliding mechanism, is thick front to back, but not tall, and not really that long, but comparitively elongated in shape (about the shape of most sonys though much smaller) In fact it looks alot like my Sony P72 but doesnt have the curved side like the sony.

It looks nothing like the current minolta linup.

Im very pissed off with the P72, as it takes terrible grainy pictures constantly, which it really shouldnt being a relatively expensive 5MP camera. Even in the hands off a pro photographer it has produced terrible grainy photos. Ive bought a cheap $200 Sony P71 3.2MP camera, which just takes the most incredible pictures I have ever seen. Sharp, accurate, and just brilliant in every way, which is strange as the P72 supposedly replaced the P71.

The P71 has unfortunately had its zoom mechanism broken in a drop, so though the lense is intact, its fully zoomed out all the time. I was quoted $400 for a whole new lense and zoom assembly and labour, so its time to go.

This minolta has taken some absolutely amazing images, and the zoom is incedible, which was the main reason I took a liking to it. $2100 in singapore in 2003, and I can buy it for $450. Think its worth it?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2005, 09:33 AM

Is this it? Only 3X optical though

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...lta_dimagef300
Old 14th June, 2005, 09:56 AM
Steve Jobs

Looks exactly like it yea, maybe it is a 3X optical then. It sure did look very impressive I must say. Took some shots of hot air baloons on the horizon with it to test it, and it was just brilliant.

What really struck me is how well the automatic settings work on it. The auto focus was accurate and fast, without being too overactive, the white balance was perfect both under incandecent light, and under natural light. Tried my hardest to trick it up, but it just did a great job, much like my P71 did, only much better.

I still would love to know why the $800 P72 doesnt stack up to this or the P71. The thing has a short focus problem, where it autos correctly, then the focus shortens too much before the photo, and then theres the grainy problem. Just terrible static on every photo. When you zoom in on the resultant picture, you can see very clear grey and white pixels in a haze over the colour. Not a single wrong pixel on the P71 even though its only a 3.2MP. Shame about the zoom.

What do you think of that minolta?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I still would love to know why the $800 P72 doesnt stack up to this or the P71. The thing has a short focus problem, where it autos correctly, then the focus shortens too much before the photo, and then theres the grainy problem. Just terrible static on every photo. When you zoom in on the resultant picture, you can see very clear grey and white pixels in a haze over the colour. Not a single wrong pixel on the P71 even though its only a 3.2MP. Shame about the zoom.

What do you think of that minolta?
Have you checked the ISO setting? If you've set it manually to 400 the chances are you'll see a fair bit of noise for the reasons Daishi explained earlier.

To be honest though, you've got a focus problem, a noise (grain) problem, possible hot pixels, sounds like a dud. Post a pic up if you've got one.

The minolta you're looking at had great reviews. Again I've never used it so can only go by reviews. I'm assuming it's $450 Aus which works out at about £200. Seems pricey for a 2 year old camera.
Old 14th June, 2005, 11:11 AM
Steve Jobs

Its not just the camera, its the camera, with the konica minolta tripod, and tripod adapter, and the wide angle lense fitting, a pair of new lithium 3V batteries, and a pair of old NiMh AAs and the case. The tripod alone is worth a fortune, which is why im buying the package.

I dont have the camera right now but ive got some photos from it. Ill send them to you im a PM or something.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Its not just the camera, its the camera, with the konica minolta tripod, and tripod adapter, and the wide angle lense fitting, a pair of new lithium 3V batteries, and a pair of old NiMh AAs and the case. The tripod alone is worth a fortune, which is why im buying the package.

I dont have the camera right now but ive got some photos from it. Ill send them to you im a PM or something.
Ah right, the camera alone I'd have expected about £75-£100, for the wideangle and the rest of the stuff the price you're looking at is probably reasonable.
Old 14th June, 2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Okay, cheers, had a quick look through the exif.

pics 404/405/406 were all taken at ISO 400, program mode, there's the reason for the grain.

Exposure compensation also looks like it's been set to +0.7 so thats why you're getting all the white pixels, it's just overexposed.

pic 576 is on ISO 100, but it's a large aperture shot through glass, easy conditions to fool and confuse any camera. Noise doesn't look to be a problem there to be honest.

I've tried to fix 406 for you, you should have it shortly 404 and 405 I don't know
Old 14th June, 2005, 01:05 PM
Steve Jobs

IS it normal for the camera to be using ISO400 as its automatic setting? It isnt manually set. The exposure compensation I imagine is also auto. The P71 is using the exact same settings and makes some beautiful images. Ill have another look at the P72 when I get it back.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2005, 01:22 PM

First two in bright sunlight, I wouldn't have expected it to go ISO 400. The indoors shot maybe, it needed flash.

Exposure compensation "normally" gets set manually, I'd check it and see it hasn't been set accidentally at some stage. I use compensation deliberately all the time and regularly forget to reset it.

It's not going to be a mass of hot/dead pixels, last shot is dated after the others and doesn't show the same burnt highlights.
Old 14th June, 2005, 01:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Exposure compensation is set manually, as it's an override for when the automatic exposure is getting things wrong. As to why it's using ISO400 in bright sunlight, that's just very odd. Perhaps forcing it to a slower ISO rating would be better - generally turning the gain up that high does nasty things to pictures!
Old 14th June, 2005, 01:51 PM
Steve Jobs

This is actually quite exciting, I thought it was just the camera. Im going to look into this further and see if I can get something nice out of that thing. Would you consider the P72 to be a reasonable camera? I only intended to replace it due to the terrible pictures. The colour in the image you edited really looks nice, I guess this thing needs some more fiddling.

What is the ISO rating it should be forced to for just everyday, non-masterpiece photography?

btw Aedan, what happened mate?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2005, 01:56 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

My P73 produces some pretty nice pictures. I'm not exactly proficient at photography, but it copes well enough with my ham-fisted snapping. https://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=311901
Old 14th June, 2005, 01:59 PM
Steve Jobs

P71, P72, P73, sony sure isnt creative. I just hear so many people saying sony is crap. I personally like the look and feel of them, and particularly the battery life, which is nothing short of amazing. But I havent had the best of luck until now. Some very nice images Kaitain, particularly the flowers. I would love to learn how to use all of these manual settings properly and get some shots like that.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 14th June, 2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 14th June, 2005, 02:11 PM

Normally ISO100. That gives you the best quality and least noise. It also has the result that you get a slower shutter speed for any given aperture. For example lets say you have an aperture of F2.8 at ISO 400 and the camera says you get a shutterspeed of 1/1000 second. ISO 200 would give you 1/500th and 100 would give you 1/250. Examples only.

Noticed something else, they're set to spot metering mode. That's handy for particularly bright or dark subjects when you can lock the exposure to a mid-tone and then recompose. In these cases it's probably resulted in metering mistakes. Reset it to the option called "Multi-Pattern"

There's nothing wrong with the p72 IMO. Others may disagree but I know of one guy who consistently produces exceptional shots with one.
Old 14th June, 2005, 02:13 PM
Steve Jobs

Have you by any chance written a newbies guide to manual camera setting fiddling? Im really interested in this now
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2005, 02:16 PM

Meant to say as well, d/l the community version of this program to try to recover any others you have affected by noise. Unfortunately the free version is stand alone and not a plug in but it's pretty good. It's at the bottom of the page. For the one I did I shifted the levels, curves, sharpened it and then ran it through this.

http://www.imagenomic.com/download.asp
Old 14th June, 2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Have you by any chance written a newbies guide to manual camera setting fiddling? Im really interested in this now
LOL no, only reason I had a chance to do this today was I've had a quiet morning for a change. Proof reading some new brochures and our new website
Old 14th June, 2005, 02:20 PM
Steve Jobs

OK, I downloaded the trial version, and Ill give it a go to some of my more important pics. I actually inteded to get into photography after buying that P72, but the performance of it (with those settings) left me so depressed about the fact that it cost $800, that I just never used it. I give it to family when they want to take some snaps on holiday because thats about all I would trust it with, and after the P71 lost its zoom capability, I was about to throw in the towel. If there is still a lot of life in that P72, then Ill give it a shot.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2005, 02:23 PM
Steve Jobs

CRAP, I know whats wrong with it now! Just after I bought it, I mounted it on a tripod, and got my grandfather to display some slides from the 60s on a projector while I photographed them. I SET the ISO to 400 because it made the slides clearer, and I set the Adjustement up and down to compensate for the slides! I have not looked at it since that day when I was taking pictures of bright slides in a dark room, so just "assumed" that it was on AUTO. Just figured that out after going through some old pictures and noticing that the first 200 odd were slides!

Saved a lot of mouldy slides that day, but written off the camera, or at least until now

You think that could be it?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah