AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2004, 04:08 AM
Member/Contributer

Canon Powershot A75

I've been considering getting this camera and would like to know if anyone could recomend it.
I'm a complete novice with digital photography so I'm curious how big would you be able to print pictures from a 3.2mp camera?
Any advice would be really apreciated

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2004, 04:28 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

3.2mp will get ya some fairly decent size pix. I think you could probably do an 8x10 without any pixelation. But I could be wrong.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2004, 07:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

I did a bit of research on your chosen camera and it seems as though it's a great starter camera. I got into photography the same way, when I recieved a Sony camera for Christmas last year. It's a greatly fufilling hobby. However, I do have a couple of suggestions for you if you do choose that camera. The first is to GET RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES for that thing. Mine came with some, they're a lifesaver. My friend has a camera that eats through batteries VERY quickly and rechargeables will end up saving you money very shortly into your photography career. The second suggestion is to get a larger memory card. I'd suggest 128 MB for a 3.2 MP camera, I know that you can find some great prices on Compact Flash cards on the internet. You may want to get a case for the camera, I chose a very compact soft case that can fit into my larger pockets if I choose to bring the camera with me. It's a Lowepro bag, bought real cheap from best buy.

Other than that just play around with the thing and you'll find that sometimes you get something really interesting. Also, read the manual. I found a couple of interesting features when I read the manual to my camera months after I recieved the thing. Get a program that will keep your photos organized for you. iPhoto works great on the Mac; I'd suggest something like Adobe Photoshop Album on PC. I've never personally used Photoshop album so look into it first before you get it. Good software should categorize your photographs by date and ideally should let you scroll through them to find the one you're looking for. Have fun!
Old 8th October, 2004, 03:55 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah I was planning on getting a rechargeable battery set and a 256mb cf card
read the manual? nah I'm not big on manuals
Thanks

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th October, 2004, 07:38 PM
Member/Contributer

ok I've given up on ebay, it's full of people selling them for the same price as new or from abroad which look cheaper but you end up paying £50 import tax on so the cheapest place I've found is dabs
£207.56 with a charger and a Lexar Media 256Mb Compact Flash 12x and delivery
does anyone know any where cheaper and reliable?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2004, 02:43 AM
Member/Contributer

UPDATE:
Got the camera and I'm quite pleased with it, especially for the price, it eats batterys like theres no tomorrow though so the battery charger was a must

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2004, 09:32 PM
AOA Staff

How about a sample pic or two taken with the camera?

Useful for someone else who might be considering the same camera.
Old 24th October, 2004, 12:40 AM
Member/Contributer

when I get my adsl connected on thursday I'll put a couple up

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2004, 04:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Just in case anyone else wants one, Ebuyer have these cameras quite cheaply at £127 inc VAT!

AOA Team fah
Old 25th October, 2004, 08:47 PM
Member/Contributer

thats where I got mine from with a 256mb pqi cf card for £18 and a carry case for £7

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th November, 2004, 02:46 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
How about a sample pic or two taken with the camera?

Useful for someone else who might be considering the same camera.
Sorry for butting into your thread Graham but here's a couple. First two unaltered, the rose has had a "few" tweaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Powershot A75-church.jpg   Canon Powershot A75-townhall.jpg   Canon Powershot A75-old-rose.jpg  
Old 5th November, 2004, 05:03 PM

like that price graham and i like the rose and church too dod
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 5th November, 2004, 05:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I always wanted an Art gallery! Very nice.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 5th November, 2004, 05:51 PM
Member/Contributer

no problem dod, I'm still getting the hang of taking a decent photo

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th November, 2004, 06:32 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

my uncle bought one of those when he was on vacation here in the states.
i got to play around with it a bit. i think its a very nice camera.