AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2005, 08:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

video converters?

well, i just discovered to my dismay that my digicam only captures video in the evil quick time format, so does anyone know where i can find a program to convert these videos into theora?

also, does anyone know if there is a winamp plugin to encode and/or play theora files?
Old 2nd June, 2005, 08:50 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Surely Winamp could use the DirectShow filters for theora?
Old 2nd June, 2005, 09:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

hmm, i dont know, linky?
Old 2nd June, 2005, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

If I'm not mistaken, 'Evil' Quicktime .mov files are just wrappers for a different type of video. In your case it's most likely mpeg 2 or mpeg 4. I'm sure that there's a way to strip the wrapper off. I know that m4a files are essentially .mp4 files and just changing the extension turns them into mp4 files. Try changing the .mov extension into .mpeg or .mpg and see if the video will still play.
Old 2nd June, 2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

just tried both of them, crashes my pictures if i just try to double click on them (have to end task on them) and if i try through winamp it just gives a memory error
Old 2nd June, 2005, 09:59 PM

Whilst mov files are a container format, they don't have to contain mpeg data at all!
Old 3rd June, 2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Whilst mov files are a container format, they don't have to contain mpeg data at all!
That is correct. However, he states in his first post that these movies are coming from a camera. I just suggested what I thought would be the most likely format for a digital camera to record video in.

I'm not even sure that doing what I suggested would work even if you did know the format, it was just something I threw out there as a potential fix.

The easiest way to rectify your problem would be to convert the video. I know Quicktime will easily convert video for you, but I'm not sure if you need Quicktime Pro to do those conversions. (I know with QT Pro you get complete control the conversion) I'd check the menus that Quicktime gives you for some sort of conversion options.
Old 3rd June, 2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

well, i dont have quicktime, i have quicktime alternative, i cant stand the adds in quicktime.

anyhow, i just found out it has a "dsm" converter that, unsurprisingly, turns .mov files into .dsm files

what are .dsm files? are they easier to convert?!
Old 3rd June, 2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgar
well, i dont have quicktime, i have quicktime alternative, i cant stand the adds in quicktime.

anyhow, i just found out it has a "dsm" converter that, unsurprisingly, turns .mov files into .dsm files

what are .dsm files? are they easier to convert?!
Ads in Quicktime? I think we must be using different programs entirely! When and where do you see these ads?

Anyway, as far as I can tell, DSM files are audio only. I've never heard of them before you mentioning it here.
Old 3rd June, 2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

no i mean the constant nagging to update
Old 3rd June, 2005, 04:54 PM

Project guliverkli can handle DSM files, depending on the CODECs in use. DSM looks to be a container format too... It looks like you're probably going to have to do at two format conversions to get it into theora. Given the source material, it's probably not worth it!
Old 4th June, 2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

just thought i should say that when i was talking about adds in quicktime i was getting it confused with real, the thing that erks me about quicktime is that you have to download itunes (that i despise) with it

sorry!
Old 4th June, 2005, 12:35 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgar
no i mean the constant nagging to update

i dont think ive ever been asked to update my quicktime.. hmm, strangeness

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th June, 2005, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
i dont think ive ever been asked to update my quicktime.. hmm, strangeness
of you look at the post above yours you will realise i was thinking about real player not quicktime
Old 4th June, 2005, 08:39 PM
AOA Staff

I think super DVD ripper will do it... maybe