AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th August, 2005, 09:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Terragen competiton

I recently had a few hours to spare so i thought, why not make some terragen pictures. I think it would be a good idea, if we had a 'terragen competition'. There's no prize, it's just simply a way of getting the AOA community involved in something. I did this once on another forum a while ago and they really took the biscuit. Anyway, i'll start. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Terragen competiton-aoatgce1.png  

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2005, 07:23 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

OK I just downloaded Terragen. How can I use vegetation or green instead of rock? How can I put water inthere?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2005, 11:20 AM

You need to select 'landscape' option. To apply vegetation, select 'surface map' at the bottom and click 'edit'. In the new dialog that opens, click 'open layer'. In the find dialog, there should be some files with a .srf or .tgw file extension. To change the colour rather than loading one, simply click 'colour' than adjust the sliders to where the colour you want.

To add water, in 'landscape', click 'generate terrain'. Adjust the sliders in the new dialog to set the parameters. When you've done that, click 'generate'. In 'landscape', click 'view/sculpt'. To raise the land, select the 'basic sculpting tool' button (it's got a little tractor and a hill on it). To raise it, left click on the big area below that button. To lower, simply right-click.

HTH

Old 19th August, 2005, 10:17 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

That's pretty nice skool h8r, think I'll go and try that sometime
Old 20th August, 2005, 03:52 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quick 'n nasty. There are a lot of settings in this and a nasty user interface... nice work skool h8r. Feel like giving us a quick 10-step howto?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp terragentest2.bmp (2.25 MB, 93 views)
Old 20th August, 2005, 04:52 PM

Well, i'm not very good with how to's except with programs or things i make. There is a tutorial for terragen at http://www.telefragged.com/soup/terra_tut/terra_tut.htm though, i think it just covers skies.

Kaitain, your image just finished downloading, pretty nice actually, got a cool yellow tint to it.

Old 20th August, 2005, 07:19 PM

It's not an especially nice program TBH. I had far better results over 10 years ago with VistaPRO on the Amiga
Old 20th August, 2005, 07:52 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

This is what I got, the second one is Harry's creation..
Attached Thumbnails
Terragen competiton-try1.jpg   Terragen competiton-try.jpg  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 21st August, 2005, 06:43 AM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Quick 'n nasty. There are a lot of settings in this and a nasty user interface... nice work skool h8r. Feel like giving us a quick 10-step howto?
Just that you haven't set the render quality to high. The image is very nice!

Old 21st August, 2005, 11:48 AM

WHOA chris, the first image is great, i like the bit near the bottom right corner where it's just visible above the waters surface.

I like harry's as well, it's like looking down the coast of a country. It reminds me of when i was on a plane last year, i could see the whole east coast of the UK right from south east coast up to the britain-scotland border.

Old 21st August, 2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Just that you haven't set the render quality to high. The image is very nice!
I thought I had, yet I'm consistently getting things that look more like a patchwork quilt than a landscape... Certainly I'm getting nothing like the picture quality you've produced.
Old 21st August, 2005, 03:12 PM
Benchmarker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
I thought I had, yet I'm consistently getting things that look more like a patchwork quilt than a landscape... Certainly I'm getting nothing like the picture quality you've produced.
Just ajust the sliders to high. I only played with a few things ajusted the height of the hills, ajusted the level of the sea (meters) and added waves and that's all.

Old 27th August, 2005, 05:13 PM
Benchmarker

Smile

Here I created some images. Harry.
Attached Thumbnails
Terragen competiton-4.jpg   Terragen competiton-5.jpg  

Old 27th August, 2005, 05:15 PM
Benchmarker

And this.
Attached Thumbnails
Terragen competiton-9.jpg   Terragen competiton-10.jpg  

Old 27th August, 2005, 05:17 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

These are the last images!
Attached Thumbnails
Terragen competiton-3.jpg   Terragen competiton-8.jpg  

Old 27th August, 2005, 08:26 PM
Benchmarker

LOL, I come home and find this, time for me to create an account for my son, huh?

Old 28th August, 2005, 10:59 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
south east coast up to the britain-scotland border.
err.. britain-scotland border? where is that exactly?

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 28th August, 2005, 12:01 PM

here is my offering... only just worked out how to add water etc

both are the same landscape from different angles

I also tried to play about with land and grass settings to try and get a beach thing going on... but it didnt seem to make any difference what heights I set the sand and grass to, it just looked the same...
Attached Thumbnails
Terragen competiton-torgasmorg.jpg   Terragen competiton-torgasmorg2.jpg  

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Toro; 28th August, 2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 28th August, 2005, 12:41 PM

PS - just a thought... is there anyway to add heat shimmer?

AOA Team fah

Old 28th August, 2005, 12:43 PM

britain-scotland border. It's the border between scotland and britain/england. I love the one harry posted, post #13, the one on the right, very vivid colours, a bit like what everyone thought when XP was first released.