AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2006, 03:51 PM
AOA Staff

Kodak on to a winner?

From the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/633/2/

In short, this compact digi-camera has two lenses, wide and tele.

Looks very neat to me!
Old 3rd January, 2006, 10:09 PM

seems nice but I'll have to se one first.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2006, 03:44 AM

agreed, are there any sample pics??
Old 4th January, 2006, 08:02 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

only this one I can find.
Attached Images

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2006, 02:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless joe
agreed, are there any sample pics??
It looks like something James Bond would use. Having a nice wide-angle lens is the main attraction I reckon.

www.kodak.com for full details.

RRP is $399.00

It’s two cameras. It’s one camera.
KODAK RETINA Dual Lens Technology
Ultra wide-angle and 5X optical zoom range
SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH C-VARIOGON Lenses
5.0 MP for prints up to 20 × 30 in. (50 × 75 cm)
Advanced video options
On-camera panorama stitch mode
KODAK EASYSHARE Photo Frame Dock 2 included
Attached Thumbnails
Kodak on to a winner?-v570_lgv1_480x320.jpg  
Old 4th January, 2006, 03:49 PM

The Idea is hardly that new, I seem to remember a couple of 35mm cams using the same idea (fx. Olympus AF10 Twin with 35/70mm lenses). That is of course totally without zoom (as opposed to the Kodaks nonzoom/crappy zoom setup

That is however not to say that the idea is a bad one - I just hope it is not an excuse to put two bad lenses on the camera instead of one... And a 35mm equivalent of 23mm is a nice wide indeed! Difficult to pull off without warping the picture though.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th January, 2006, 06:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Oh wow, news flash, this idea is years old. I've seen a camera with 4 lenses, and that's going back a few years, in about 2002 i think.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 4th January, 2006, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Anybody remember the failed APS system? I believe that was also pioneered by Kodak. Yan is quite right that on such a small lens it will be interesting to see if the photograph is distorted at all while using the wide lens.

This design seems very limiting.... You get a 'normal' and a wide setting, but nothing in between. I'd very much prefer a zoom lens to a design like that. Looks like you get a 23mm lens and about a 70mm lens.

When automatically choosing the ISO setting, it will only choose from a range of 64 to 160. Even then the highest ISO setting (800) is only available when shooting in a low-res mode, making low-light shots very difficult.

You'd really have to wait for a review in order to see if this camera is worth it or not, but after looking at the price and specs I'd be inclined to think that this isn't the best camera for your money.
Old 5th January, 2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
only this one I can find.
no i meant is there any sampe pics OF the camera, no wait, thats not what i mean taken WITH the canera, you know what i mean
Old 5th January, 2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
Anybody remember the failed APS system? I believe that was also pioneered by Kodak. Yan is quite right that on such a small lens it will be interesting to see if the photograph is distorted at all while using the wide lens.

This design seems very limiting.... You get a 'normal' and a wide setting, but nothing in between. I'd very much prefer a zoom lens to a design like that. Looks like you get a 23mm lens and about a 70mm lens.

When automatically choosing the ISO setting, it will only choose from a range of 64 to 160. Even then the highest ISO setting (800) is only available when shooting in a low-res mode, making low-light shots very difficult.

You'd really have to wait for a review in order to see if this camera is worth it or not, but after looking at the price and specs I'd be inclined to think that this isn't the best camera for your money.

APS, R.I.P It was a really good idea, with really good resaults. Just to close to the good old 35mm to cach on.

I doubt that the auto only chooses ISO -160, I would say at least 400 (any other statement is quite sure to be a misprint). And with ISO 800 a high res shot doesn´t make that much sense anyway, as the small ccd;s in compact cameras makes the shots so grainy anyway at those settings.

And a small correction as well: The camera does have a zoom lens. One 23mm and one ~39-117mm (35mm equivalents in both cases of course).

The design is very good though, and looks futurisic - a trait that is propably more important to the main target groups than photographic setting possibilitys or image quality... And it is sure to be good for taking those crammed indoors group shots! As long as the people on the fringes of the shot don´t mind being a bit curved

AOA Team fah
Old 5th January, 2006, 06:44 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
In-camera distortion correction to compensate for ultra-wide angle fish-eye effects, which can be turned on or off
From here:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06010201kodakv570.asp

And a sample gallery:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko.../gallery.shtml
Old 5th January, 2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan
APS, R.I.P It was a really good idea, with really good resaults. Just to close to the good old 35mm to cach on.

And a small correction as well: The camera does have a zoom lens. One 23mm and one ~39-117mm (35mm equivalents in both cases of course).
I think you're spot-on with the APS bit. Photographers of any variety didn't see the advantage of buying all new equipment just to have the option of a landscape shot. I also believe it was far tougher to retrieve your own film after it had been shot to develop it yourself, which would have been a major turn-off to many photographers.

I stand corrected on the zoom lens statement. 39-117mm isn't too bad of a range, either. They seem to be more and more able to cram a zoom lens into a camera so tiny that it baffles me sometimes.

On my previous post I didn't say anything about the features that I did like about the camera. I like the large LCD, the fact that there's a burst mode (though it's limited to only 4 images), the long-exposure settings, it's got auto picture rotation (which has saved me some tedious work on my D50) and the fact that it uses USB 2.0.

The preview images that danrok has posted a link to are of middling quality. I'd like to see less noise, especially at the ISO 64 that those images are taken at but I suppose that's not a big deal for the average consumer looking for a digital camera.
Old 5th January, 2006, 08:47 PM
AOA Staff

Some more samples and a diagram of the lenses here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V570/V570A.HTM

You're right it is a bit noisey.
Old 5th January, 2006, 09:26 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

APS didn't have the quality of 35mm, and didn't really offer anything fantastically new over 35mm. It wasn't going to be a huge sucess, but did make good inroads into the compact camera end of the market.

The various images taken by the camera seem to lose a lot of fine detail, especially for a 5MPx sensor. Looking at some of the images, like this and there's huge areas that look rather like they came from a camera phone, not a standalone digital camera.
Old 5th January, 2006, 10:22 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

When APS was being introduced, I was a fresh-faced 16 year old with a Saturday job in a camera shop. Which was ironic 'cos all I know about cameras is "this way forward, press that".

My former boss, however, was a camera geek. He used to laugh himself into a mild hysteria over the fact that people would willingly buy a camera that used 28mm film of low quality, that had a "landscape" option that was merely electronically zooming in on the central letter-box portion of the frame (in the development shop, not on the film, which took a conventional square shot) and that prevented any and all photographic effects, and would pay MORE for the privilege.

APS was a nice idea for making film easier to use, but was technically inferior to 35mm in all respects but ease of loading.
Old 6th January, 2006, 12:09 AM
Member/Contributer

The camera isn't something that I would buy.

Infact me and my fiance already have 2 cameras - Sony DSC-V1 and cyber-shot DSC U40

I would prefer to pay about $160 NZ for a wide angle lens that didn't distort than pay for a whole new camera that had it and distorted.

Also the features aren't that great, and Sony's phone W800 has a 2MP camera that takes photos as good as the kodak's, but without some of the features.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 6th January, 2006, 12:20 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The W800 doesn't do very well in lower light situations. Like the K750i, it tends to get rather noisy together with the apperence of stripes across the image.
Old 6th January, 2006, 12:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
The W800 doesn't do very well in lower light situations. Like the K750i, it tends to get rather noisy together with the apperence of stripes across the image.
True, but it is a phone camera, and you can also get a flash for it.

I found the W800 with the add-on flash better than some dedicated cameras. Even with moving objects.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 6th January, 2006, 01:03 AM

the all and all fact is you don't get SLR preformace for $400
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 6th January, 2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
the all and all fact is you don't get SLR preformace for $400
Why not just drop $650 for a DSLR that will grow with you?