AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing.

Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. Discuss cameras, hardware, software and techniques. Show us your creations!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2007, 02:34 PM

Recomendations for long term storage of a Inkjet printer

I have a Canon I560 printer I bought used for a backup printer that I want to store long term.

1. Should I leave the ink tanks in the printer or remove them and store them separately?
2. How about the print head? Same thing?

I went through and checked the printer. All is ok. I cleaned the bottom of the print head as it was covered with dried ink. I also cleaned those soft nylon cleaning tabs by the foam pads where the head parks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December, 2007, 05:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

IIRC, the Canon printers use an ink cartridge that includes the print-head as part of the cartridge. If that is the case, you can probably remove the cartidges, place a small piece of scotch tape or similar over the heads, and then store them.

If that is NOT the case, then you'll probably just have to discard the cartridges and replace them when you are ready to use the printer, as it is likely the ink will have dried or become too thick to be usable by the time you put the printer back into service.

Last edited by Gizmo; 21st December, 2007 at 06:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
the Canon printers use an ink cartridge that includes the print-head as part of the cartridge.
Not these (which is one reason I like this system). The tank or cartridge is separate from the print head assembly ($50 replacement cost).
Old 21st December, 2007, 06:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Robbie is our resident printer guru. Hopefully he'll be 'round in a bit and can give you some thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!