AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/64-digital-image-photo-video-audio-editing/)
-   -   Some random piccies (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/digital-image-photo-video-audio-editing/29474-some-random-piccies.html)

dod 15th February, 2005 09:56 PM

Some random piccies

4 Attachment(s)
Just a couple of random pics when I was doing a tidy up

Razorfish 15th February, 2005 11:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope you dont mind but here are some real begginer shots of some plants i took with me brand new camera. Hoping to maybe make it a hobbie. Please feel free to give advice. Cameras a Konica Minolta Z2

dod 16th February, 2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorfish
Hope you dont mind but here are some real begginer shots of some plants i took with me brand new camera. Hoping to maybe make it a hobbie. Please feel free to give advice. Cameras a Konica Minolta Z2

Nice cam :) You've got nice depth of field going there, nice abstract feel to them. Only prob is the noise in the second one, got any EXIF info for them?

dod 16th February, 2005 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a quick touch up, what do you think?

Razorfish 16th February, 2005 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice one dod. looks great. EXIF Info? Like i say im starting from as complete novice, im hoping to get into landscapes. I take it your into Photography? if so id love to be able to drop you a few Q&A's every now and again?

Edit: heres the EXIF Data for the Bamboo picture

Daniel ~ 16th February, 2005 01:02 AM

New Wallpaper! Thanks dod! ":O}

Razorfish 16th February, 2005 01:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well just looked up Exif Data and ill post some for those images tomorrow but how about this picture i took using my old Fujifilm S304 which was a total fluke at Loch Lomand just pulled it of the old Xd picture card and the exif data for it.

dod 16th February, 2005 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~
New Wallpaper! Thanks dod! ":O}

No probs dan, which one and I'll put it up high res :)

Razorfish, thanks for that, reason you've got noise is the ISO of 200. Try setting it to 50 or 100, you'll get a slower shutter speed but it will clean things up.

Razorfish 16th February, 2005 09:31 AM

If i slow the shutter speed i i have problems with blurring?

dod 16th February, 2005 10:18 AM

Tutorial No1 ;)

Okay your camera has a lens of 6.3 - 63mm (35mm equivalent: 38 – 380mm) As a general rule of thumb if your shooting at a 35mm equivalent of say 50mm and are not using a tripod the slowest shutter speed you will normally be able to get away with without blurring is about 1/50th of a second. The 11mm you were using works out at about a 65mm equivalent on a true 35mm camera so the 1/50th you were using is in the right sort of region.

If you were trying to take a shot using the full zoom of 380mm you would probably find you need to use a shutter speed of about 1/500 to avoid shake.

Ways round it are increasing the ISO, use a tripod or some other form of support, use a larger aperture (the F number)

What software are you using for the processing?

Razorfish 16th February, 2005 12:01 PM

I see, so when taking the close up shots try to keep the zoom to a minimum. I am not using an software at the moment, not touched the bunbled software, just pulled them straight from the camera. You go a preferred peice of software?

dod 16th February, 2005 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have the Minolta Dimage 7i and I think the bundled viewing software you get now is the same. It's pretty good to be honest, I far prefer it to the Canon stuff and still use it.

As far as manipulation is concerned my preference is Paintshop Pro 9. I've tried Photoshop Elements 2 and 3 and would go for 3 every time there. Can't afford Photoshop CS at £600 :eek: but I tried the trial which gives you full functionality. It's very good, but for day to day stuff PSP9 will probably be more than adequate.

If you're looking for something to help get rid of the noise google Neatimage. It's a free programme for personal use :) PSP9 has the function built in.

Most of them will let you do this sort of stuff though, have to admit it's pretty rough but it only took a couple of minutes ;)

Daniel ~ 16th February, 2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dod
No probs dan, which one and I'll put it up high res :)

Razorfish, thanks for that, reason you've got noise is the ISO of 200. Try setting it to 50 or 100, you'll get a slower shutter speed but it will clean things up.

What a good friend you are! The swans! They swim beyond valentines day into deeper waters! ":O}

dod 16th February, 2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

What a good friend you are! The swans! They swim beyond valentines day into deeper waters! ":O}

LOL deep water's what I seem to find myself in more and more.

What size do you want it? By memory aren't you on about 1600X1200?

Daniel ~ 16th February, 2005 03:46 PM

One 1600X1200 and one 1280X1024, what's a swan without a mate! ":O}

dod 16th February, 2005 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Well just looked up Exif Data and ill post some for those images tomorrow but how about this picture i took using my old Fujifilm S304 which was a total fluke at Loch Lomand just pulled it of the old Xd picture card and the exif data for it.

Sorry m8 missed this for some reason. It's a nice picture but it could be better yet. Photography is full of rules to be broken but one of the most useful ones is what they call the rule of thirds.

Imagine the picture being divided up by 2 vertical lines and 2 horizontal lines, a bit like a noughts and crosses board. The eye falls naturally to the imaginary points where those lines cross and by placing things of interest close to those points the picture will almost always feel more balanced.

Did a quick crop and mock up to let you se what I mean :) Sorry for butchering your shot :o

Razorfish 16th February, 2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dod
Did a quick crop and mock up to let you se what I mean :) Sorry for butchering your shot :o

No not at all, im learning everyday. Ive been doing some reading on Polarization lenses as i want to get some good pictures of the sky and clouds and also some cross water shots. The Lomand shot is a great example of what i want to do.

dod 16th February, 2005 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

One 1600X1200 and one 1280X1024, what's a swan without a mate! ":O}

There you go :)

Razorfish 16th February, 2005 09:33 PM

So Dod, what camera, lens and filters you using? thats if you dont mind me asking?

dod 16th February, 2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

So Dod, what camera, lens and filters you using? thats if you dont mind me asking?

Nah, you can ask :p

OKay, right now Canon 10D along with 50mm F1.8, 28-105 F3.5 and my pride and joy, a canon 100mm Macro F2.8. Also got a Canon A75 for point and shoot and it fits the wifes bag at parties ;) The lens I'd really like, but can't buy just now is the 70-200mm F4.0L. Bought most of it carefully second hand, just waited till I saw what I wanted at the right price :)

Filters, a pile of them which I've collected over the years, ranging from Polarisers to an R72 Infrared which can give some pretty nice effects.

I'm not particularly good but do enjoy it, particularly when I get the chance to go off for an hour or so on my own into the hills or something. Here's where I keep most of them but I haven't updated it for a while.