AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/64-digital-image-photo-video-audio-editing/)
-   -   Terragen competiton (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/digital-image-photo-video-audio-editing/32463-terragen-competiton.html)

skool h8r 12th August, 2005 09:37 PM

Terragen competiton

1 Attachment(s)
I recently had a few hours to spare so i thought, why not make some terragen pictures. I think it would be a good idea, if we had a 'terragen competition'. There's no prize, it's just simply a way of getting the AOA community involved in something. I did this once on another forum a while ago and they really took the biscuit. Anyway, i'll start. Good luck!

chrisbard 18th August, 2005 07:23 AM

OK I just downloaded Terragen. How can I use vegetation or green instead of rock? How can I put water inthere?

skool h8r 18th August, 2005 11:20 AM

You need to select 'landscape' option. To apply vegetation, select 'surface map' at the bottom and click 'edit'. In the new dialog that opens, click 'open layer'. In the find dialog, there should be some files with a .srf or .tgw file extension. To change the colour rather than loading one, simply click 'colour' than adjust the sliders to where the colour you want.

To add water, in 'landscape', click 'generate terrain'. Adjust the sliders in the new dialog to set the parameters. When you've done that, click 'generate'. In 'landscape', click 'view/sculpt'. To raise the land, select the 'basic sculpting tool' button (it's got a little tractor and a hill on it). To raise it, left click on the big area below that button. To lower, simply right-click.

HTH

dod 19th August, 2005 10:17 AM

That's pretty nice skool h8r, think I'll go and try that sometime :)

Kaitain 20th August, 2005 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick 'n nasty. There are a lot of settings in this and a nasty user interface... nice work skool h8r. Feel like giving us a quick 10-step howto?

skool h8r 20th August, 2005 04:52 PM

Well, i'm not very good with how to's except with programs or things i make. There is a tutorial for terragen at http://www.telefragged.com/soup/terra_tut/terra_tut.htm though, i think it just covers skies.

Kaitain, your image just finished downloading, pretty nice actually, got a cool yellow tint to it.

Kaitain 20th August, 2005 07:19 PM

It's not an especially nice program TBH. I had far better results over 10 years ago with VistaPRO on the Amiga :(

chrisbard 20th August, 2005 07:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I got, the second one is Harry's creation..

chrisbard 21st August, 2005 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitain
Quick 'n nasty. There are a lot of settings in this and a nasty user interface... nice work skool h8r. Feel like giving us a quick 10-step howto?

Just that you haven't set the render quality to high. The image is very nice!

skool h8r 21st August, 2005 11:48 AM

WHOA chris, the first image is great, i like the bit near the bottom right corner where it's just visible above the waters surface.

I like harry's as well, it's like looking down the coast of a country. It reminds me of when i was on a plane last year, i could see the whole east coast of the UK right from south east coast up to the britain-scotland border.

Kaitain 21st August, 2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard
Just that you haven't set the render quality to high. The image is very nice!

I thought I had, yet I'm consistently getting things that look more like a patchwork quilt than a landscape... Certainly I'm getting nothing like the picture quality you've produced.

chrisbard 21st August, 2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitain
I thought I had, yet I'm consistently getting things that look more like a patchwork quilt than a landscape... Certainly I'm getting nothing like the picture quality you've produced.

Just ajust the sliders to high. I only played with a few things ajusted the height of the hills, ajusted the level of the sea (meters) and added waves and that's all.

chrisbard 27th August, 2005 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here I created some images. Harry. :)

chrisbard 27th August, 2005 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And this.

chrisbard 27th August, 2005 05:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are the last images! :drink:

chrisbard 27th August, 2005 08:26 PM

LOL, I come home and find this, time for me to create an account for my son, huh?

Toro 28th August, 2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skool h8r
south east coast up to the britain-scotland border.

err.. britain-scotland border? where is that exactly?

Toro 28th August, 2005 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is my offering... only just worked out how to add water etc :D

both are the same landscape from different angles

I also tried to play about with land and grass settings to try and get a beach thing going on... but it didnt seem to make any difference what heights I set the sand and grass to, it just looked the same...

Toro 28th August, 2005 12:41 PM

PS - just a thought... is there anyway to add heat shimmer?

skool h8r 28th August, 2005 12:43 PM

britain-scotland border. It's the border between scotland and britain/england. I love the one harry posted, post #13, the one on the right, very vivid colours, a bit like what everyone thought when XP was first released.