AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Digital Image, Photo, Video and Audio Editing. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/64-digital-image-photo-video-audio-editing/)
-   -   Droped my ****ing camera (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/digital-image-photo-video-audio-editing/36289-droped-my-ing-camera.html)

dsio 22nd April, 2006 04:00 PM

Droped my ****ing camera

I just had to get a few images off my favourite Sony P-71 camera, and as it was copying the files, I dangled it by its wrist strap, one inch (2.5CM) off the soft cork floor.

It slips out of my hand, bounces once, and dies. No more power light, no more response of any sort.

This camera cost only $200 Australian... probably about 75 GBP. Despite that, It is the best damned camera I have ever used, and I have it set up the way I like it.

What do you think I should try?

Fixing it? It seams to be purely a power related problem. Power related problems are usually quite simple, so why not.

Sending it for repair? It will cost an absolute fortune I think. Unless anyone knows better.

Just replacing it? I love it, but I really, really don't want to lose it.

danrok 22nd April, 2006 04:26 PM

You could buy a second-hand one quite cheaply. Looking on ebay they sell for about £20. Or you could buy a faulty one for next to nothing and make one good one.

Daniel ~ 22nd April, 2006 07:07 PM

Tough break dsio, I'd try Danroks suggestion first, failing that, it's repair or replace....Good luck any way it goes for you.

Razorfish 22nd April, 2006 07:51 PM

Id say see it as a sign and find a new love, there are many great cameras out there. Of course if you really dont want to get a new one pull it apart and have a look to see if you can fix it...

robbie 22nd April, 2006 10:47 PM

See if you can run it off an AC jack rather than batteries.

Kaitain 23rd April, 2006 12:07 AM

There are loads of new-unsold P74 and P75s out there - the 4 and 5 megapixel versions of your beloved. They're exactly the same casing and adaptor ring, in case you bought extra lenses. Consider one of those?

When I was younger, I worked in a camera shop. I still don't know a lot about cameras, except that the people that brought them in for repair typically had more money than sense. Camera repair prices cost progressively higher with the complexity of the camera - now, I was working there during the handover from 35mm to APC on compact cameras. Any electronics doubled the price of even looking. Any damage to the electronics cost the price of a new camera to repair. I doubt it's any different today.

cadaveca 23rd April, 2006 05:09 AM

Be very carefull pulling this camera apart. there are ribbons joining the two pcb's together that if not removed properly, will destroy thier "mounts".

dsio 23rd April, 2006 05:22 AM

Sounds like you've tried this?

cadaveca 23rd April, 2006 05:27 AM

heh. bet you there is just a small dent on the lens area...these camera are prone to breaking teh mechanical parts inside with little or no effort. most likely the "gear" that opens the lens is broken.

Once you pull the camera apart, release the catches on the 3 ribbons...i think it was 3. was a long time ago.

aghastpumpkin 23rd April, 2006 04:24 PM

This is why I love my camera. My DSC W15 is made of solid aluminium. So if I drop it, it probably won't break.
If you can get hold of one of the DSC Ws, they are the best cameras in their class. The W15 retails for about £170, the W17 for £220.

dsio 23rd April, 2006 11:58 PM

Dude, its not the case that breaks...

Mine is only pastic, but the plastic is fine. It didn't break, it didn't even scratch. It looks perfect.

Its the bits inside the camera that break. An aluminium shell just makes it many times worse.

aghastpumpkin 24th April, 2006 09:25 PM

Oh....

xmetrix 26th April, 2006 07:49 AM

buy another one from a local store, put the dead camera in the new packaging, return it. :)

MONKEYMAN 26th April, 2006 08:04 AM

and thats why things cost so much....

chrisbard 26th April, 2006 01:27 PM

My Smena is a great camera I drop it down thousands times and still works like in it's first day !!! :rolling:

dsio 26th April, 2006 01:28 PM

I have never even heard of smena.

Is it a localised version of another brand?

xmetrix 27th April, 2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
and thats why things cost so much....

Yea, hopefully they'll take some of that money and put it into their R&D Department. Basically this should be enough hassle to inform them that they need to build a better freakin product

Aedan 27th April, 2006 09:22 PM

Nah, the money will just cover the higher rate of returns and employing someone to fix 'em as they come back!

Kaitain 27th April, 2006 09:53 PM

Nah, that's not how capitalism works. The company receives back a number of defective cameras and replaces them, fixes a sample of cameras, and sends the rest to landfill. They then put up the price of the camera, bundling a squeaky toy in to "add value" and then return great profits in the next quarter. The CEO ensures the company buys him a Bentley and pays himself a large bonus.

There's always a winner, whichever way you look at it.

Daniel ~ 28th April, 2006 01:01 AM

Except in the mirror...":O}