AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th October, 2002, 10:43 PM

Post Any thing on Dual Channel DDR for Intel systems?

I know the Granit Bay is still under NDA (other then the review board [H] got to play with a couple of months back). And Sis is suppose to have a dual channel DDR solution on the market soon.

I was just wondering if Epox will offer a motherboard based on either one of those chipsets.

A simple yes, when it comes out would be nice. Don't list when, cause thats probably still under an NDA.

Thanks in advance
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2002, 12:43 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to retrospooty

Re: Any thing on Dual Channel DDR for Intel systems?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bring the Noise
I know the Granit Bay is still under NDA (other then the review board [H] got to play with a couple of months back). And Sis is suppose to have a dual channel DDR solution on the market soon.

I was just wondering if Epox will offer a motherboard based on either one of those chipsets.

A simple yes, when it comes out would be nice. Don't list when, cause thats probably still under an NDA.

Thanks in advance
Anyone heard about the Intel dual channel DDR mobos coming in October ?

Check the 4th post from ET. I cant wait.
Old 8th October, 2002, 06:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

G-Bay sounds nice, but the way I understand things it only supports two channels of PC2100, where the SiS and VIA alternatives will support dual PC2700. In theory the current P4 bus speed is too slow to take advantage of dual PC2700, but it is hard to say how much of a difference you'd see in the real world.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2002, 06:35 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to retrospooty

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
G-Bay sounds nice, but the way I understand things it only supports two channels of PC2100, where the SiS and VIA alternatives will support dual PC2700. In theory the current P4 bus speed is too slow to take advantage of dual PC2700, but it is hard to say how much of a difference you'd see in the real world.
One word. Overclock it !!! (oops thats 2)

I'm willing to bet that like the current 845e it "supports" pc2100, but runs well over pc2700 speeds.
Old 8th October, 2002, 07:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

You don't need to tell me to overclock anything, I suffer from obsessive compulsive overclocking disorder!

My concern was that perhaps the SiS/VIA chipsets might overclock better than the Intel chipset, when optimally implemented. Another thing to consider is that Intel is going to consider G-Bay(i7205 I believe is the official name) an IA-32 workstation platform, meaning that it is going to come at an extra cost to motherboard makers, and ultimately to us. Perhaps SiS or VIA will be in a possition to offer their dual DDR chipsets at lower prices.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 8th October, 2002, 06:21 PM

Arrow

Given Bandwidth for each chipset.
I'ld probably lay good money on Intel having the best, with Via and Sis bouncing back and forth for Second.

What ever happened to good old ALi. They seem to have drop'd off the face of the planet. The last chipset I heard they made was the Magic 1 Revision C (Iwill's XP333-R).

Lol... I wonder if that old Iwill board has been validated by AMD for the 333Mhz Bus speed... I was suppose to support it (although that was a couple of months back, and the Via KT333 and KT266A kicked it around like you wouldn't believe).

Looking at bandwidth alone doesn't tell the whole story though.

Intel's usually got a better PCI implementation and IDE. Considering they are the biggest backer of Serial ATA, I'm guessing they will have a new southbridge out next year giving full support for SATA. But for now Epox and others can use aftermarket SATA controllers.

Intel's downside has been the first revisions usually don't crank up so high. Take the SDRAM i845 chipset. 400Mhz bus was all it supported and people would try to OC em and get around 420 to 440 bus speed (105 to 110 Mhz true bus speed). A couple of tweaks and revisions and the i845e's hit in the 180 range (probably higher if the cpu's are multiplier limited).

Intel's first version of the Granite Bay is already out. Its being used in Xeon Servers (the ones that support Dual Channel PC1600 only).
It been out for around 6 months and Intel has had time to tweak it.
So when the workstation/desktop version of Granite Bay gets deployed.... I have a feeling we will see some really nice OC'n (as long as the CPU's don't have to high a multiplier).

And lets be honest. Dual Channel DDR that is higher then the bus speed is not worth it (Dual channel PC1600 with a 400Mhz bus is fine because they both equal out to 3.2GB/s bandwidth). Dual Channel PC2700 will not be needed until Intel releases the Prescott with its 667Mhz bus (166 quad pumped). But that doesn't mean Overclockers won't have been their for 5 to 6 months before Intel releases it.

Take a look at the AMD camp.
AMD users have been run'n Sync 166Mhz and higher with the older KT266A chipsets for almost a year now. Shoot I sold off my Abit KR7A-Raid around January of 2002. I had that board peg'd at 190 with a 1800+ MP for 3 months before I sold it off. And if it wouldn't have eaten 2 Audigy Xgamers I would have kept it for a little while longer... Now theirs memory to allow people to maintain Cas 2.5 at up to 220Mhz or better (and some people are doing it).

Once the Vapo and the 2600+ come in I'll be back at a 190 to 195Mhz Sync memory and cranking out the speed on a daily basis.

Athlon's chipsets are harder on DDR then P4 Chipsets on average. Which means Dual Channel PC3200 shouldn't be that hard for a P4 system. As long as the person trying has a C stepping 1.6 to 1.8 P4 (200 x 4 is a 800Mhz bus, 16x 200 is a 3.2Ghz processor, 18x 200 is a 3.6Ghz which means Vapo or Prometeia cooling solution to maintain that speed).

Just me mindlessly rambling...
I just wish AMD wasn't late with the Hammer. I think their are alot more people waiting on this processor then AMD suspects :nervous:
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's