AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2002, 10:56 PM

Auto Restart under Xp Home

My comp specs:
Amd Xp 1900+
Epox 8KHA+
256 DDR 333mhz
ELSA geforce2 TI (29.42)
400w PSU
Xp Home Edition

I just did a clean install and after a while, i had this strange problem. Whenever i scan for viruses, surt net, play with the control panel settings, the comp will auto restart, but this is very strange because after u see the monitor displaying all ur detected drives, then only u can hear the psu power on. I'm not sure whether u guys really understand my problem but i just dont get, auto restart? i just changed my psu unit because the previous one got problem.Hope u ppl can help.Thanks
Old 28th October, 2002, 11:58 PM

The most common cause for spontaneous reboots(auto-restarts as you say) is a marginal or defective power supply. What kind of power supply did you use as a replacement and what are your voltages as reported in BIOS?
Old 2nd November, 2002, 01:19 PM

Cpu temp about 50 - 60C
Mb temp about 40C
The voltages:
Vio:3.28V
Vcore:1.76
Vdimm:2.64
Vagp:1.53
Vbat:3.05
12V:12.34
5Vsb:5.48
Old 2nd November, 2002, 04:23 PM

Ok your voltages look fine. What happens if you deinstall your nvidia drivers and run in VGA mode, or conversely boot into safe mode? If this method works, look into a different video driver.
Old 2nd November, 2002, 05:13 PM

Look in the BIOS under Power Management (I believe) and see if you have any auto shutdown features enabled, either CPU temp, fan rpm sensor, etc. That could cause it as well. 60C is getting up there and may be a trigger for the shutdown if it's enabled.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2002, 04:53 AM

nope
i've disabled all the options(shutdown temp, everything relevant) in the power management in the BIOS settings.i havent try uninstalling the video drivers yet but i this really is an endless problem
When i try to upgrade to xp pro, blue screen will come out during the process.
sigh....
Old 3rd November, 2002, 08:12 AM

OK, I'm stumped for now, I'll look for more solutions tomorrow!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2002, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amg320
nope
i've disabled all the options(shutdown temp, everything relevant) in the power management in the BIOS settings.i havent try uninstalling the video drivers yet but i this really is an endless problem
When i try to upgrade to xp pro, blue screen will come out during the process.
sigh....
Well, you really should at least try what was suggested. The only other item in my list to check for reboots and random BSODs is RAM. Swap it.
Old 3rd November, 2002, 01:47 PM

I had an identical problem with my work computer. After switching PSU's, ram, and heatsinks I still had the same problem. What I did was notice that my cpu was working at 100 % while idiling. Well as you know it's not supposed to do that. So to make a long story short I looked in the task manager under processes. I found out that the NORTON ANTIVIRUS program was using 100 percent of my cpu. I disabled norton anti-virus in my msconfig and damn if it didn't start working normally again. The problem is I only had a few seconds everytime I booted into windows to do something before it crashed. SO I just did it quickly and shutdown the machine. Hope that helps you!! Here is what you do.

1. Pull up the run window under the start button
2. type msconfig and hit return
3. click on services tab
4. Anything marked with manufacturer Symantec corp (uncheck it)
5. Restart windows shutting down the normal way. DO NOT JUST SHUT MACHINE OFF WITH POWER BUTTON!!!
6. Completely uninstall norton antivirus. I used NOD32 now

Last edited by BY-TOR; 3rd November, 2002 at 01:52 PM.