AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th November, 2002, 06:57 PM

Now I need Help overclocking - 8k3A+ and XP1600.

I have the board and cpu (8k3A+ and XP1600) running at 166 FSB all settings at default- bios says its a XP2100. So if I want to go to run at FSB of 175 this would make it a XP2200. Can you tell me what voltage and other settings to use to overclock, I never done it before. Thanks in advance.
Flores.

Last edited by flores; 16th November, 2002 at 07:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2002, 07:11 PM
EPoX Tech

You may need to unlock the processor.

You may need to make consideration for RAM voltages, RAM quality, CPU voltages, cooling etc.
Old 16th November, 2002, 08:51 PM

Try increasing the Vcore and Vdimm a little at a time while testing the integratity of the 175FSB(your defaults are 1.75V Vcore and 2.50V Vdimm). Keep an eye on your temps. Also what kind of memory do you have?

Normal 'safe tolerances' are 1.85V Vcore and 2.8V Vdimm. You also need to consider the DRAM timings.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2002, 10:35 PM

My memory is Crucial PC 2100 - My CPU Cooler = Swifttech MCX462-U, and I have 2 Case Fans, my temps at idle are 50C.
Old 16th November, 2002, 10:52 PM

It's looks like your memory and cooling are going to hold you back.
Look at my sig at the bottom, let me and everyone know what you have(the more detail the better)then we can go from there.

Old 17th November, 2002, 04:55 PM

Cool temps w/mc462

one of two things are evident from your post, you either are in a rather warm room or your case ventilation is not up to snuff.

with my mc462 (older version)chillin by cpu, m/b temps are 22*c and the cpu is 22*c as i type this. the room is 16*c.

you might want to assess your cooling, then move onward.

your motherboard will only give you 1.85vre max unless you do the volt mod, so you might not find the full potential of that cpu without the mod. as far as your PC2100 goes, unless you got crap, upping the vdimm should get everything running at whatever FSB you can achieve with the limited vcore adjustment.

you have to connect the #2 and the #17 pinouts on the voltage regulator chip (can't remember exactly what it is called) located on the upper left hand part of the m/b as you face it. you insert a little part to regulate the volts, raises your default vre a bit to start with, and gives the higher choices needed for maximum clocking.

good luck.

baldy

Last edited by bldegle2; 17th November, 2002 at 04:57 PM.
Old 17th November, 2002, 05:46 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Crucial 2100's usually max out between 166-170 fsb (w/ fast timings). There's definitely luck involved. Also, many run their crucials at 2.9-3.1volts. Since you are new to overclocking, be conservative. There is risk of damaging components with high voltage. Before your tweak too much, keep in mind the risks. If you don't know what they are, you need to read up and learn.

That's a good start to overclocking you have there. Make sure you test for stability. Just because it boots into windows is no guarantee.
Old 18th November, 2002, 12:33 PM

Re: temps w/mc462

Quote:
Originally posted by bldegle2
...your motherboard will only give you 1.85vre max unless you do the volt mod, so you might not find the full potential of that cpu without the mod.
What??. The 8K3A has 2.2 Vcore capability out of the box.
Old 18th November, 2002, 01:45 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Ditto Harryc 8K3A and + Both give 2.2 Vcore out of the box.

Most people wont go above 1.9volts with air cooling. But you have something VERY wrong with your cooling set up!

Im at 47c LOAD on 1800mhz @ 1.85volts. You are idling higher, with a slower chip and comparable heatsink! You have a good sink, so I will assume you applied thermal grease and the base would be nice and flat. You didnt use a shim did you? as some shims lift the heatsink slightly off the core. More likely is that your case ventilation isnt up to scratch! Remove the case side panel and see how much it will drop.

NOTE: The 8K3A series reads higher temps than most boards due to reading the actual core temp via the on core thermal diode. Though I Still think 50c is too hot!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:24 PM

I rearranged the fans on my case and the temp as I type this are 39C. Much better than 55C. Do you think I can go for 170 FSB now?
thanks in advance.
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flores
I rearranged the fans on my case and the temp as I type this are 39C. Much better than 55C. Do you think I can go for 170 FSB now?
thanks in advance.
I use programs like CPUFSB or SOFTFSB to slowly ramp up the FSB in windows. This will help not corrupt your windows disk from partial boot. Start at 166 in BIOS, boot to windows and incrementally raise the FSB. It will BSOD somewhere and just boot back up and try the next lower setting. After you find the sweet spot you can set it in the BIOS and be good to go.
Best o luck to ya and welcome to the forums!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 20th November, 2002, 07:38 PM

few questions you said 1600+ do you know the stepping, dates, etc...

at 166FSB the divider keep your PCI and AGP at defaults, as you increase you are going to be increasing them. Keep an eye on your temps. There will be several types of failure:

1. If the system loads and locks up it's usually CPU(try uping the Vcore at that point)

2. Blue Screen is memory(try using less agressive setting for the DRAM or uping the Vdimm)

3. File corruption means you PCI is to high for your HDD's, nothing you can do there but step down the FSB

How you get there is up to you, so people work slowly 1MHz increases on the FSB, some people raise the Vcore and Vdimm to safe high limits, load the FSB they are shooting for and try it. It's up to you to decide.

Old 20th November, 2002, 08:48 PM

Hey UB, do you know if SoftFSB or CPUFSB work with an EPoX 8k5a2+?

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob

I use programs like CPUFSB or SOFTFSB to slowly ramp up the FSB in windows.

Old 20th November, 2002, 09:09 PM

Actually UB I answered my own question, neither one directly supports the 8k5a2+ yet, although I would still like your input, perhaps you ran it using special settings. However I did find a program setFSB which does allow me to tweak my 8k5a2+

setFSB http://www.maximumoc.com/setfsb.html

Old 20th November, 2002, 10:16 PM

I use 8KHA settings it is, I believe, and it works great.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 20th November, 2002, 10:22 PM

I checked SoftFSB and there are no options for 8kha, must be in CPUFSB