AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd December, 2002, 12:48 PM

8K5A2+ RAID boot problems

I've been using a RAID 0 setup on various home PC's for a while now, with no problems at all. I recently bought this mobo, to which i've attached 2 Maxtor 40GB UDMA 133 HDD's, both set as master on their own RAID channel and correct type of cable. In the BIOS, i have ATA CARD BOOT set to RAID and the RAID controller is Enabled. In my HPT BIOS, the top drive in my array is set as BOOT, the other defaults to hidden. I also use a Maxtor 40GB UDMA66 HDD just for backup's etc, this is connected to the conventional IDE ports and is set as master on it's own IDE channel.

The problem i'm having (and it's not major, just annoying) is when i take out/disconnect my IDE HDD, the RAID array won't boot (strange). The RAID array was FDisked and formatted before i installed XP (all the drivers were installed fine during XP setup) and partioned and the primary was set as ACTIVE. If i reconnect my IDE HDD, it all boots up fine again. I realise this is probably a simple solution, it's just a problem i've never come across before. If i go into admin tools in XP under disk management, i can see my IDE drive is healthy (as they all are actually) and is set as a SYSTEM disk. My RAID array is set as BOOT. So, how the hell do i get this new system to boot from my RAID 0 array. Is it an MBR problem, if so, how can i make my array a SYSTEM disk (if i actually need to) ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as i'm sure it's a simple fix, like i said, just one i've never seen before.

Thanks in advance,

cakes
Old 3rd December, 2002, 01:23 PM

I had a similar problem the first time I set up a raid array. Make sure the 2 raid drives are set up as "single" drives not masters. On most hardrives just taking off the jumper works.
I think you also have to set bios to scsi boot vs raid then have other boot device enabled otherwise you will always boot from the ide 0 drive.
I can check the settings tonight and give you more specifics.

Last edited by Doomer48; 3rd December, 2002 at 01:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd December, 2002, 04:44 PM

Thanks for replying Doomer, i'll take the jumpers off the drives.
One point though, i already have boot other deviced enabled. Look forward to hearing from you later,

cakes
Old 3rd December, 2002, 05:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

This probably won't help you much, But I have a 8K5A2+ set up with a promise card (I'm use to it and had it when I bought my board). It requires that It be set to SCSI.

It is odd that a hard drive using the non-raid IDE would effect your raid setup...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2002, 05:13 AM

I have an 8k5a3+ so your bios may look different but assuming your raid is booting OK this is how I got another drive to work with a bootable win98 partition on it with XP on the raid partition.
Set ATARAID OR SCSI CARD BOOT--- to scsi
Set 1st boot to floppy
Set 2nd boot to cdrom
Set 3rd to LS120
that way the hard drive on ide 0 should be ignored, and as long as you set up the raid drives to boot by hitting ctrlH and going into the raid bios you should be OK.
I also tried the data or win98 hardrive on the raid controller it also worked fine there.
Hope this helps!
Old 5th December, 2002, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately the problem still exists.

After trying them and a few other things, it seems to be a problem with getting XP to recognise my RAID array as a bootable disk. I've tried various methods as mentioned in my 1st post, the latest being the diskpart.exe utility in XP. But, even this didn't work. I made a bootable XP floppy as per this MS Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;311073

Some nice tips in there, but i'm still getting the second error listed at the bottom of the page. What i think the problem is, is directing XP to the proper disk parameters in the boot.ini file, ie the multi(x)disk(x)rdisk(x) bit, but i've failed to find any info on how to find my parameters for my RAID array.

If anyone's got any tips on this, they'd be greatly appreciated. I realise this forum is for mobo problems and not XP ones, but I generally find the people who use specific forums, don't mind helping with slightly more diverse questions.

The only other solution I can think of, is to clean install XP again, without my IDE drive connected, but I want to avoid this.

Thanks,

cakes
Old 5th December, 2002, 10:46 AM

OK, I seem to have found a resolution myself , so this is for anyone who is having/have had similar problems.

Follow the instructions as detailed in the MS KB link. As regards the Boot.ini file, if you have installed windows on the primary partition on the RAID array ( this is for the onboard RAID controller and conventional IDE controllers, if you have a different setup, the MS KB link specifies the format for these), it should look something like this for Win XP:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you are successful using the boot disk using these parameters, then copy these files to your primary partition root directory ( BTW, you need to show hidden files to see these files).

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

Now remove the floppy, go into your BIOS, ensure your RAID controller is enabled ( on the 8K5A2+ have ATA CARD BOOT set to RAID ), disable your 1st, 2nd and 3rd bootable devices for now, but enable OTHER BOOT DEVICE. Lastly, ensure your RAID array is set as BOOT in your RAID BIOS.

Your RAID array should now boot into XP.

One point about HDD jumpers on your RAID array. The manual specifies that for a 2 disk RAID 0 array, both HDD's should be set to MASTER on separate channels and cables. I know some people use different arrangements, but this has always worked for me.

The best thing to do, which I normally do (just not in this case), is only have your RAID array connected when you initially install XP, then after the install, power down and connect any other HDD's. If you do this, you'll hopefully avoid the problems I've had. If you've added an array after the install, but want to boot from it, then hopefully this info will point you in the right direction.

cakes

Last edited by cakes; 5th December, 2002 at 10:52 AM.
Old 5th December, 2002, 10:50 AM

One quick point, in the boot.ini specified above, at the end of the default line, WINDOWS should be all one word, not with the S on the line below. I tried editing this, but to no avail
Old 5th December, 2002, 01:15 PM

Glad you got it to work I've chased dual boot problems in the bootloader around also. Usually ending with niether system booting. Linux and lilo add even more fun. I don't know if any of the OS selector bootloaders work well with raid.