AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:36 PM

Is the nforce sound quality as good as people say?

Everybody is saying that the nforce sound is better than Live, Audigy etc. I find it hard to believe that onboard sound can be as good quality as a sound card. Yes - more features compatibility and speed but quality?

Unless you are using digital out then the sound coming out of the board/card is analogue. Naturally analogue sound is highly sensitive to interference. No matter how good the sound processor is you still need a stack of macro electronics to output good sound. Just look at how many capacitors quality sound cards have.

I would like peoples opinions on this. As I haven't purchased my nforce2 board yet.

I am talking about good music sound quality. If you don't have a good quality speaker system then you can't comment on this. And no, creative and logitech speakers aren't "good quality".
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:41 PM

I wont comment.

Its as good as my SB 5.1 as far as I can tell, and thats good enough for me.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:43 PM

Its as good as my Audigy as far as I can tell, and thats good enough for me.
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:57 PM

Thanks for commenting guys

However, I don't want to be insulting, but Z-560s don't have the fidelity for you to be able to judge the quality properly. They only have one driver in the satellites, no tweeter. They lack clarity in the high frequencies. The reason why I know this is that my brother is going to buy them tomorrow (great value for 4.1 speakers).

<mmm, maybe i should as in audiophile forums... Nah they'll just say tell me to forget about music on computers cause it is all crap >
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:59 PM

Maybe avs forums..... they are all home theater buffs over there, and as such would be more objective.
Old 9th December, 2002, 03:03 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Is the nforce sound quality as good as people say?

Quote:
Originally posted by patto
I am talking about good music sound quality. If you don't have a good quality speaker system then you can't comment on this. And no, creative and logitech speakers aren't &quot;good quality&quot;.
Muhahahaha.... How many computer users are going to have good quality speakers?

There's no reason why an onboard CODEC cannot provide results as good as a soundcard CODEC. Both are operating in an environment that is electrically noisy, and unsuitable for such things.

Lots of capacitors does not mean good sound - Some of the better designs minimise the capacitors and use DC coupling, minimising the effects of noise, and maximising the low frequency response.

Good luck in your quest!
Áedán
Old 9th December, 2002, 03:17 PM

Here is a discussion on the nforce audio in avs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
Old 9th December, 2002, 03:49 PM
Steve Jobs

i cant comment on sound quality myself as my music is usually too loud to hear the words but a good friend of mine recently got an 8rda (he a VST nit-picker audio freak so his thumbs up be good enough for me) and he said "it was amazingly crisp for an onboard" and that it was possibly better than his old SBlive5.1 plat.. true though you do need decent digital speakers to hear the sound the way it was intended and not pc audio junk.

dont dismiss all cheap speakers though.. i use a pair of bose studiocraft 500watters from 1984 $4000 in their day and for me $60 at a garage sale havnt seen many speaker sets come near them since

[edit] typo
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 9th December, 2002 at 03:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2002, 04:07 PM

muzz, Áedán, dsio

Thanks for your friendly and helpful replies guys Especially since my posts probably didn't come off as completely friendly

*dsio - You lucky bastard! BOSE speakers for $60!! I want some BOSE.
Old 9th December, 2002, 04:26 PM

I think that soundstorm may well be the best onboard sound by a mile, but it does not sound as good as my Audigy 2 / DT3500 5.1. I don't think it supports EAX HD which gives you fantastic effects in modern games! Unless you have very good speakers I'd doubt if you would notice the quality difference, but you might see the lack of audio trickery.

I went with the Audigy 2 to utilise the digital connection to my DT3500 5.1 digital speakers.

Either way it'll rock
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Old 9th December, 2002, 05:02 PM
EPoX Tech

How many Sigmatel AC'97 codec PHY's on a Sound Blaster Live 1024 Platinum ?

I rest my case.
Old 9th December, 2002, 05:33 PM

As far as I can tell it sounds as good as my Live 5.1.
Havent connected my Midiland 5.1 system yet but I guess it will be enough for me.

One less PCI card also, that´s good.
Old 9th December, 2002, 05:38 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
How many Sigmatel AC'97 codec PHY's on a Sound Blaster Live 1024 Platinum ?

I rest my case.
3 or 4 sigmatel's doing less than MCP-T if I remember correctly. Soundstorm rox.
Old 9th December, 2002, 08:30 PM

not on Win98

It's great as long as you are not using Win98!

I have found myself, and posting with others, that the sound is great as long as you are not running Win98. I have heard of problems with Epox and Asus boards with both the manufacturer's drivers and nVidia's. The sound drivers cannot be easily installed and do not work well for nForce boards in Win98. I never though I'd say that nVidia's driver support sucks, but in Win98, it's definitely true here. People with other OSs have not had problems.

I can only hope that in the future nVidia enables sound driver installation via the setup.exe instead of requiring manual installation of poor (in Win98) sound drivers.