AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:13 AM

8RDA+ Slow Windows Boot & Power LED Related Problems

This may not be anything new, but this is my last attempt to see if anyone has information on some issues I am having with my 8RDA+.

1) Slow boot, I am running Windows XP Pro, and during bootup, (The windows XP splash screen with the blue progress bar) it hangs here for much longer than it did on my 8k3a+. Although this could be due to the fact that this board has much more onboard, it is a drag to wait. Note: I have done both installation of Windows XP, and Windows XP with SP1 integrated. Same result.

2) I lose all keyboard functionality when my POWER LED connector from my case is plugged into the board. This I find especially strange, as I have read in only ONE other thread that someone using a volcano 9 with lights plugged into the POWER LED header was experiencing the same problems. If anyone believes that these problems can be fixed by a bios upgrade, or settings on my behalf, please let me know. I expected big things from this board, and am still hopeful. If you could also verify the orientation of the POWER LED from the case to the board, that would be appreciated. There are 5 pins, with 1 labeled as the far left pin. I have the green plugged into pin 4, and white plugged into pin 5. This does light my case, but causes me to lose keyboard functionality.

Lian-Li PC60
Enermax 350w PS
Epox 8RDA+
(2) x 256 Corsair PC3500
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ Default (Thanks Finkle)
Matrox G450eTV
(2) x Western Digital 800JB HDD
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrsteel74

I have the same problem with my 8RDA+ when it comes to booting WinXP Pro. It may have something to due with all the extra onboard options but I'm not sure.
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:35 AM

Power LED problem (well not really) but my bright blue led (as it used to be on my other mobo) is about half the brightness now, so there must a voltage setting or something to tweak?
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:39 AM

Good call, I have noticed the LED is not as bright as it was on my older board. Get this, I was in the bios, and I plugged the Power LED in, and lost the keyboard, Unplugged it, and keyboard came right back! I'm thinking of RMAing, but i'll wait to see what others have to say on the subject. Thanks for the replies. And can you guys verify where the pins are plugged into for the POWER LED? Green in 4 and White in 5 ?
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:45 AM

I gave the newest bios a try, dated 12/10, didn't fix anything. What are some of the things you guys are trying?
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:52 AM

I fixed my slow WinXP boot time:

8RDA+ I can't burn CD's
Old 12th December, 2002, 09:28 AM

download bootvis from microsoft and optimise your bootup...

LED is pin 1 is power... so that means white lead to front coloured lead rear most...
Old 12th December, 2002, 10:28 AM

I can't reccomend this solution, but I plugged the power cable in two pins left of where it should of been with no problems. My lights are dim as well though.
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2002, 12:50 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: 8RDA+ Slow Windows Boot & Power LED Related Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by x5auctions
If you could also verify the orientation of the POWER LED from the case to the board, that would be appreciated. There are 5 pins, with 1 labeled as the far left pin. I have the green plugged into pin 4, and white plugged into pin 5. This does light my case, but causes me to lose keyboard functionality.
According to an old old old standard, PCs used to have keyboard locks. Oddly enough, it used pins 4 and 5 of the connector. I wonder if that functionality is still there? In addition, the power available across the keyboard lock would be minimal, so your LED would be much dimmer than normal.

Mind you, according to that standard, the LED went across pins 1 and 3, with pin 1 being positive.

Áedán
Old 12th December, 2002, 01:26 PM

My bootup times are fine, but it seems quite long shutting down in the XP home edition.

my lights arent on at all, perhaps i hooked them up in the wrong place

XP2700+, Epox 8RDA+, Radeon 9700, 1gig PC2700, SB Audigy2, silver mountain 2 cooling.

www.andybee.zen.co.uk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2002, 05:55 PM

Yes, I was the one w/ the V9+ issue. I haven't tried plugging my case LED in, however. Also, as for slow.. mine is slow too, very slow. However, it only became that way when I installed the nVidia v2.0 Drivers -- not only slow, but unstable -- very unstable, basically unusuable.

If you're using the 2.0 drivers, try rolling back to the drivers provided on the EPoX CD -- see if that helps.
Old 12th December, 2002, 06:34 PM

Here's an update:

I have fixed the LED problem, I just found the proper pin orientation to give me lights and NOT lock up my keyboard. The pins being used are 3 and 5, with green in 3 and white in 5. This gives me my Power LED working without locking up my keyboard, I do think you were right in thinking 4 and 5 were used to lock up keyboards.

However, the slow boot problem is still there. I have tried BOOTVIS, with no luck, I chose the option OPTIMIZE SYSTEM, and also did traces to see how long it takes to get up and running. According to BOOTVIS, my system is up and going at about a minute and a half. I have also looked into the drivers from NVIDIA.

I did one Windows XP Pro installation WITH SP1 with the EPOX CD drivers, and the other using the newest NVIDIA drivers; both with the same result, SLOW BOOT.

I have also tried this method, posted by AUTOSEAR @ 8RDA+ I can't burn CD's

"This is what I did to go back to the nice, plain IDE driver. This is for WinXP:

1. Open nForce_winxp_2.00.exe with WinZip and extract it somewhere.

2. Go to Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on NVIDIA® nForce(TM) IDE Controller and chose 'Update driver...'

3. Select 'Install from list or specific location' In the search box, browse to where you unzipped the Nvidia package. The driver is in \IDE\WinXP folder."

In my Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, I have listed:

NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

And I did follow the instructions from AUTOSEAR. Any more suggestions? Am I using BOOTVIS properly? Thanks for all the great tips and replies.
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:13 PM

bootvis will do a driver trace as well, make sure you look at the delay times, perhaps its the network initialising the broadban, mine certainly slows for a while to do that...