AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th December, 2002, 11:59 AM

Temperature Sensor

I built a PC a few days ago and I have an EPoX 8K5A3+ in it. Unfortuantly the fans in the PC are so loud I can hear the comp a few rooms away and I want to get some less powerfull ones for the case. What has me worried though is that I saw somewhere that the temperature reported by some motherboards can be as much as 30C off the actuall temp. Is this true of the 8K5A3+ with an Athlon XP2000? I'm just worried that it might not be safe to get less powerfull/noisey fans if my current temp reading is around the 38C - 42C mark.
Any replys would be appreciated

thanks

JohnK
Old 17th December, 2002, 12:56 PM

Ignore all board temps. Epox has publicly stated that temps do not matter as long as the board is stable.

"If your 100% stable then you dont need to worry too much about your temperature readings."

Daniel, I see you have a 'cooling and temperature monitoring' forum. Might as well close that sucker right down. Temps don't matter.

Last edited by Harryc; 17th December, 2002 at 01:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2002, 01:43 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

they matter, but not the actual number, cooling can improve overclocking. but the temperature being x degrees c isnt important if its stable and you are happy with the clock speed

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2002, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
they matter, but not the actual number, cooling can improve overclocking. but the temperature being x degrees c isnt important if its stable and you are happy with the clock speed
Yes, we've heard that argument many times. Also the one about not being able to compare boards, and BIOS to monitoring programs, one sensor to another, one CPU to another, ...on and on. Without a point of reference, all improvements become meaningless. How does one know the cooling improvement is valid? Overclocking results are iffy at best due to extremes of memory, processor, and board tolerances. Back in the day, we could reasonably tell a guy that if your temps are 60*c or higher, then there is a good chance that your instability is due to lack of proper cooling. That tool is basically out the window. If a guy is running at 90*c (.i.e Caper) while overclocking, who can guage if he is about to fry his T-Bred?. Not me.
Old 17th December, 2002, 02:20 PM

oh, OK thanks. I was just worried that half the computer was going to melt and leak out through the bottom
(I'm new to all this hardware stuff )
Old 17th December, 2002, 02:34 PM

hehe

nah only your NB heatsink will melt due to temperatures
Old 17th December, 2002, 06:26 PM

hehe.. if you want to slow those fans down try speedfan. You can set it up to automatically adjust fan speed by temp.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Iceberg Water Cooling
Samsung PC2700 4 x 256
WD800JB RAID 0
PNY Ti4200
LiteOn 40x12x48
Toshiba SD-1212
Vantec 520W Stealth (not.. loud)
Old 17th December, 2002, 10:06 PM

JohnK, how many fans you got, were are they, what rpms you using on each, and what db are they, also were is your pc located (under a desk, ontop of a desk next to your familys TV?) ive been tinkering with fans for a while now, personally i like to keep my beast below 50degc esp in winter.:nervous:

ps what do you class as loud?

Last edited by ffslol; 17th December, 2002 at 10:12 PM.
Old 18th December, 2002, 10:22 AM

@Zweefkonijn: Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try and hope it can do something for me.

@ffslol: Right now I have 1 YS-TECH FD8125 80mm Fan (4pin) on the rear of the case and I have 1 YS-TECH FD8125 80mm Fan(3pin) on the heatsink. The PSU i have has 2 fans in it(enermax silent 450W). The way the CPU is positioned means that one of the fans on the PSU is blowing right accross the CPU's top. There is a fan on one of the cards, i think its the graphics card(radeon 9700pro). I have another fan like the one at the rear but I have pluged it out hoping it would reduce the noise level. The PC is on the floor of my room, directly above the kitchen(if that makes any difference). What do I class as loud? Not really sure how to answer that but I can close the door to my room, go into my sisters room and still hear it.

The specs of the fans are:
» Speed - 3000RPM
» Output - 45.2CFM
» Decibels - 34.2dBA
» Dimensions - 80x80x25

The speed of the fan on the heatsink is actually reported as being about 3200 - 3350RMP by the motherboard so that is probably affecting the sound level. The fan on the rear of the case is pluged into the PSU so I dont know how fast it's actually spinning. The fans in the PSU are on the lowest setting. The heatsink I have is an SLK-800 and I used Arctic Silver3 so they are probably helping. Also if your interested, average Mainboard temp was 28C and the HD temp was 42C. Yesterday while using it, the max CPU temp was 40C and that was while playing SOF2, watching a DVD and general usage. It was usually about mid-30'sC Hope you find some of that usefull.

Last edited by JohnK; 18th December, 2002 at 10:26 AM.
Old 18th December, 2002, 03:53 PM

my readings
room temp 15degc
cpu40 on a 3200rpm thermal take smart fan II
cpu under load upto 46 (as the room temp rises)
system 21 6000rpm thermal take chipset cooler
gf4 6000 rpm thermal take

the best bet for you and the least hassle in the long run is to replace the CPU fan with a smart case fan by thermal take and use the manual adjuster, that way you can adjust from 1300-4800rpm 17-48 db and you can get the best comprimise between heat/noise. youll be able to find out exactly whats best for you, ie if you want a quieter system youll get a hotter cpu, if it gets to hot you simply adjust it with the handy dial, no hassle buying loads of fans, swaping over.
looking at your existing temperature, you should be fine letting the cpu run hotter with a slightly slower fan, i personally think if its near 50degc then its time to look at better cooling. No doubt if you replace your cpu fan youll then hear the 9700 fan. i always play games with headphones now, its also the cheapest way of quietning all the fans, you simply cannot hear em.

My Spec

Epox 8DRA+/AMD XP2700+/Asus 4600 GF4/XMS3200 DDR x2 512MB
Swiftech 462+ HS/Antec True 550w/Pioneer DVD A03 & 106
80GB IBM 133/2 x 60GB Maxstor 133/ OB sound/4xAntec Sensor Fans
Smart Fan II CPU/Crystal Orb NB
1x Big Debt on Visa. last best 3DBenchmark 12699 no OC
Old 18th December, 2002, 05:59 PM

Freaky! I just ordered two of those a few minutes ago