AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th December, 2002, 12:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

epox techi HELP! 8RDA bios dead after hanging while flashing.

hi, went to flash my 8RDA+ this morning with the 12th dec bios and everything was going fine untill the thing stopped dead while flashing the last quarter of the bios.
i've seen this loads before as i used to work repairing pc's and building them. usually hotswapping and reflashing sorts it.

what i need is a flash program that will FORCE a bios onto the chip, i've tried hot swapping the bios chip on a kt333 mobo, booting to dos then swapping the chips over and then trying to reflash the 8rda bios, but it just says the chipset is incorrect, i've looked at all the switches in awdflash but i cant see a force flash switch anywhere.

does anyone know anything that can flash this dead bios chip with the new bios on a diff board(8K3A)? i dont have access to any other nforce 2 mobo's.

Help my motherboard is dead!

Soul99
Old 17th December, 2002, 12:56 PM

Man without having another nForce2 board handy......
believe I would contact Epox and purchase a new
BIOS chip.
They are not that expensive. Just means a little down
time.

Luck.

Pops.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2002, 01:04 PM

i got bigger problems now, i think i managed to flash the chip using winflash and doing it when in winxp.
upon removing the bios chip for about the 5th time i broke some of the brown surrounding off the bios socket thus loosening and removing one of the pins!!!!
have you ever tried soldiering a bios chip leg to your motherboard while not damaging any other the other legs, it aint easy. anywasy it booted up with an 0d error with isnt even listed in the motherboard manual gay nforce 2 why cant it be techi freindly for a change, and why dont it read sub zero temps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soul99
Old 17th December, 2002, 01:12 PM

you ********************! good now i got that out my system.
well its still just beeping at me and dispite my exelent soldier job its not posting.
if i go to the trouble to unsoldier it out put it back in this board you thing theres any chance of geting a proogy to flash it properly?

Soul99
Old 17th December, 2002, 01:29 PM

ok that is just soo anoing, working 100% thismorning to 100%dead board this afternoon all cus of a ****ing bios upgrade.
should have ****ing worked after the effort i put into fixing it someone give me a break please!
Old 17th December, 2002, 02:39 PM

Sorry 'bout your frustration.

Personally I can't work on hardware while I'm

frustrated or I compound the problems and

get myself into deep doo-doo.

Pops.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2002, 02:50 PM

Hmmm so it was prying the bios chip out that borked it was it?

Firstly sounds like you might not have been using the correct version of awdflash (you need 8.22a for this mobo)...

I have used the winflash utility everytime without incident, now you have physically damaged the hardware ot is going to be difficult to diagnose and fix with any degree of accuracy...

You may have to put this one down to experience and get yourself a new mobo (and a bios removal tool for the future)

Best way to remove a surface mount type bios without the correct tool is not to pry out with a screwdriver, but rather to get a paperclip, bend the last 1mm into an L and then hook this under one corner and pull... Prying out just stresses the outer bios socket...
Old 17th December, 2002, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Galifrey
Best way to remove a surface mount type bios without the correct tool is not to pry out with a screwdriver, but rather to get a paperclip, bend the last 1mm into an L and then hook this under one corner and pull... Prying out just stresses the outer bios socket...
or of course, one of these...

http://members.madasafish.com/~pevis...puller2160.jpg
Epox 8K5A3+ | XP1700+ AROIA-Y @1851MHz (10x185) | Thermalright SLK-800 + SmartFan II | 512MB Samsung PC2700 CAS2 3-6-3 1T | PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 @333/742 | Western Digital 120GB Special Edition | 431W Enermax PSU | CoolerMaster ATC-201 case | Iiyama 21" VisionMaster Pro | Win2k sp2

13,659 3DMarks
Old 17th December, 2002, 04:48 PM

Would that not be said "correct tool"?
AMD Athlon XP2700+ | SLK-800 w/ 80mm YS-Tech | Epox 8RDA+ w/ Crystal Orb on NB | 1GB Corsair XMS3500 | Hercules 9700 Pro | SB Audigy Platinum eX | WD 120gb | Coolermaster ATCS-201 | Samsung 181T | winXP Pro
Old 17th December, 2002, 04:51 PM

Which board did you break ?

NF2 or 8k3a+ ?

0d indicates a bad bios or damaged mainboard (you may have both)

Your only hope to recover the board will be to flash the chip (providing it isnmt broken) then get it back into the board.
Try not to get the chip too hot if you solder it im not sure how extreme temperature will affect the CMOS, probably not very well.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 17th December, 2002, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal
Would that not be said "correct tool"?
um, indeed yes. forgive my lack of observancy
Epox 8K5A3+ | XP1700+ AROIA-Y @1851MHz (10x185) | Thermalright SLK-800 + SmartFan II | 512MB Samsung PC2700 CAS2 3-6-3 1T | PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 @333/742 | Western Digital 120GB Special Edition | 431W Enermax PSU | CoolerMaster ATC-201 case | Iiyama 21" VisionMaster Pro | Win2k sp2

13,659 3DMarks
Old 17th December, 2002, 09:02 PM

Soul99,

Once the socket is cracked it doesn't provide enough tension to the chip contacts. If the socket isn't too torn up, here's a trick that works sometimes... use a zip tie around the socket to hold it together. If it still doesn't work, you could always do a non-warranty repair with Epox.
Old 18th December, 2002, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kowalski

um, indeed yes. forgive my lack of observancy
no I wont...

/me slaps kowalski
Old 18th December, 2002, 01:09 AM

*ouch* i'm havin that biccy back now

13,659 3DMarks