AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th December, 2002, 09:29 PM

PSU problem??

Hi all

Thanks to the folks on this forum, I have been running my XP2200+ on 8RDA+ at 200 * 10 - and quite pleasing it is too! All games and benchmark apps seemed solid but if I try to Stress Test with Prime95 I crash out with a miscalculation every time. Today I have been playing BF1942 and have crashed out of that about 4 times. I guess I'll have to drop my FSB again and check it (I'm using Corsair XMS 3200 so it should be ok), but meanwhile using MBM5 I have noticed that when the cpu is under load my +5v line drops to 4.68v!! I have a nasty suspicion this could be a/the problem. but what do you think? I am using a 2-yr old Enermax 431 watt PSU which I think is good quality...

Tx in advance
Bertie
Old 18th December, 2002, 09:39 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Enermax PSUs pre-2002 have reported problems maintaining voltages on the 5V line. There's a good chance you are having a power problem. I had a 435W Enermax that couldn't sufficiently power my 8KHA+. I ended up getting a Sparkle and it solved all my power problems.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2002, 10:22 PM

I´ll second that.
Enermax powerupplys has given me nothing but trouble.
Maybe the newer one are better but the older ones had very weak 5V line.

Try another quality power supply, I think that will solve your problems.
Old 18th December, 2002, 11:14 PM

OK thanks. But before I go out and spend £60 on a new PSU does 4.68v on the +5v line sound particularly bad? What voltages are everyone else getting under load?

Thx
Bertie
Old 18th December, 2002, 11:20 PM

4.68 under load is BAD.
I have ~4.95 under full load.
XP2400@2350 with 1.95 vcore.

Note that if you give more vcore and OC the CPU the 5V drops even more.
I guess the PSU is your problem.
To make sure, try to loan a better PSU before you buy.
Old 18th December, 2002, 11:45 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

It MIGHT be the cause of your problems. I have one machine with a 8KHA+ and, according to MBM which has it's own issues, the 5V line drops all the way down to 4.5V. It's always under load so it's always at 4.5V to 4.6V. At first I found it disconcerting, but it's perfectly stable, so I leave it alone. It's been running perfectly fine for 6 months now.

The onboard monitoring done by the Winbond monitoring thing is NOT terribly accurate. For all I know, it could be at 5.5V and about to burn everything out. Everyone says to check voltages with a multimeter.

Ok, now that out of the way. I have another 8KHA+, which will absolutely not stay stable once the 5V line, again according to MBM, drops below 4.72V. Which is the lowest I've seen it before it either reboots or freezes. I swapped that PSU (an Enermax) for a Sparkle and haven't had any problems since.

I think you should take Caper's suggestion to heart and try to borrow one before you actually buy it. Who knows, maybe your Enermax is fine...

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2002, 12:09 AM

Interesting that the 2 8KHA+ differs how low voltage they are stable.
You learn something new every day

I got tired of Enermax when I had 8K7A wich was a great board but it needs o good powersupply that have stong 5V line.
Bought a PC Power&Colling and never had any problems.
That PSU don´t come cheap though, many have good experiences with Antec and Sparkle for instance.

I think Sparkle is also pretty low priced?
Haven´t seen them here in Sweden so I can´t say for sure.
Old 19th December, 2002, 01:17 AM

Yep, 4.68V on the +5V line is definitely not good.
Had the same problem with ENERMAX PSU, but I hear they corrected the problem in their new products.
Still, I won't try that myself
Antec, Enhance and PC Power and Cooling sound very good.

BTW, about ENERMAX, doesn't it sound strange that their 430W PSU's are rated 36A on +5V, 36A on +3.3V and 33A on +12V ? I mean, there are many excellent PSUs, much better than ENERMAX, rated for higher output, that don't have such high Amperage on +12V line, or on the other lines as well.
Makes you wonder if Enermax can really keep their promise, doesn't it ?
Old 19th December, 2002, 01:28 AM

I am having problems with the Antec trupower 430 watt I just bought for my new system the 5V rail is solid at 5.05 with a multi meter at the Molex conn. My problem is with the 12 v it is at 11.79
just surfing and drops to 11.69 when fully stressed. I didn't have this problem until I raised the voltages up for the cpu and mem. and ran the FSB up to 208 with the mem running sync my benchmarks are off as well. PC mark was really off. I wish I could adjust the pots but from what I have been told the newer true powers are not adjustable. I can't return it as it works fine when everything is run in spec. The funny thing is the system is rock stable and the only time it becomes unstable is when I turn on my cold cathode lights then she hard locks which tells me it has to be a psu problem. So I'll back things down and just use and enjoy it until I can afford a new higher quality PSU with more wattage than I'll ever use that will never give me any problems such as the PC power and cooling. I have had trouble now with both the Enermax EG365 P (low 5V) and now the Antec True Power.