AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2002, 05:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

memory settings in bios

What memory settings should I use in the BIOS for a 256 MB Samsung PC2700 stick? The board I'm using is the 8RDA+..

Thanks in advance..

(hope I didn't violate the rules by mentioning the memory brand, but I thought it was relevant and important to the post, as you wouldn't know what specs it has otherwise)
Old 21st December, 2002, 05:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hello sirtoby and Welcome to AOA. No reason not to mention brand names of hardware parts. The Restriction in this Topic refers to mention and comparisons to other motherboards. This so as not to restrict ET and Holst's ability to answer. NO restrictions exist in other topics other than to prevent spamming. Enjoy the forums.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2002, 06:23 PM

Thank you..

I'll keep that in mind
Old 22nd December, 2002, 08:47 AM

Hiya, Toby

You didn't say if you were intending to overclock or not. If you leave the clocks at the default values for the CPU, I would increase the timings to "Fastest" and check for instability. If stable, you can try for "Turbo", but it may not fly. If it doesn't, then you can try tweaking individual DRAM settings.

If you ARE overclocking, I would leave the timings at "Normal" and see how far up I can move the FSB first. After defining the FSB limit for stable operation, I would speed up the DRAM timings as far as they allow before instability starts. Instability and what you choose to do with your voltages will determine the final settings.

Luck! -- Trevor
Old 22nd December, 2002, 10:52 AM

Yes, I intend to overclock.. the CPU i'll be using is a 1800+ Tbred.. which should be able to hit about 2 GHz.. (hopefully )

so if I can, maybe something like 11.5x175 if it's possible.. don't know if I want to push the fsb any higher than that, as we don't know for sure if there's a pci lock or not

(please, for gods sake.. don't start to discuss the pci lock issue.. time will tell)
Old 23rd December, 2002, 04:57 AM

Hi, Toby

Good luck on your 1800+ overclock! I bought a 1700+ Tbred-A and it does not have a PCI lock. The highest I could stably run the FSB was about 364MHz with my Samsung PC2700 256MB DIMM. The 1700+ and 1800+ Tbred-A's have unlocked multipliers which makes them more fun, but I was never able to hit 1800, let alone 2000. Then I installed an ABIT ATA66 PCI adapter for CD and had to drop the FSB to 344MHz (34MHz PCI). So, my Tbred is now running as a 2100+ with .63V core and tweaked "Fastest" DRAM timing. Obviously not a hard core overclocker here!

Have fun! -- Trevor
Old 23rd December, 2002, 05:15 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I have no problems hitting 1900Mhz with my 1700+ T-Bred. It can do that at 1.8V. I can get it up to 2000Mhz if I'm willing to set the voltage up to 2.1V.:nervous:
Attached Thumbnails
memory settings in bios-8rda.jpg  

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December, 2002, 05:23 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Trevor, are you sure you're talking about the 8RDA+? The settings I see are "Optimal," "Aggressive," "Turbo," and "Expert." I set it to "Expert" so I can manually input the setting I want. I have Corsair and I have it set to 2.0-2-2-4.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 23rd December, 2002, 10:37 AM

2.0-2-2-4 .. what are those numbers.. and what should they be for the Samsung pc2700 ram..

The first, I assume, is the CAS latency.. and that should be 2.5 for samsung ram if I'm not mistaken..

but, the other numbers.. RAS-to-CAS latency and some other latencies?
Old 23rd December, 2002, 06:04 PM

Hiya, Mooky

No, I'm not referring specifically to the 8RDA+. It wasn't clear what board SirToby was referring to, but his questions seemed pretty generic to me. I imagine PCI lock is a chip set function and it would appear nForce2 incorporates it. I could have used it after installing my little Abit controller, but it's no big deal.

My 8K5A2 BIOS offers "Normal", "Fast", "Fastest", and "Turbo" DRAM timings where the top two are manually adjustable. I believe I'm currently running with 2.0, 2, 6, 3, 2. I tried 5 and it was fine for awhile, but then I hit a glitch and dropped back to 6 -- absolutely no problems since then.

SirToby -- Thinking of the CL of 2.5. My Samsung is rated the same way, but as soon as I opted for the more advanced memory timing, the BIOS bumped it to 2.0. Works just fine in my machine! As far as the definitions of the timing parameters, check your manual first, and if you don't see them there, a search on the net should locate the info very quickly. I don't happen to recall of the top of my head.

-- Trevor
Old 23rd December, 2002, 06:46 PM

First of all, I did mention that it is about the 8rda+ .. just read my first post again if you don't believe me ..

Anyways.. I don't have the board yet.. it's on its way as we speak.. but I just wanted to know about the memory settings already before so I won't have to sit and wonder about that later on..
Old 24th December, 2002, 02:26 AM

Hi, Toby

Quite so! I overlooked it, though I still don't consider it critical to the discussion content. However, of course, it will provide the PCI lock feature at FSB greater than 333MHz that you referred to.

Enjoy your new board! -- Trevor