AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th December, 2002, 08:00 AM
jklhill

8k3a+ and recommended CPU

The latest bios supports up to the XP2800+, correct? Epox's recommended processors list only recommends up to the XP2600+. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Old 25th December, 2002, 01:16 PM

Epox evidently hasn't updated their processor

compatability list to match the the recognition

update found in the new BIOS.

Pops.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th December, 2002, 03:42 PM

I've been running an XP2700+ for about 4 weeks now, including OC'ing. I did update my 8K3A+ to the latest BIOS (8k3a2a25.bin), but earlier BIOSes are probably also fine.
jmichna
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th December, 2002, 03:59 PM

The board will work with a Xp-2800.
(buy a good PSU)

It can sometimes take a whyle to update the processor comptability listing as a thorough test has to be completed.

Personally id be looking for the best bang for bucks, XP-2400.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th December, 2002, 03:24 AM
jklhill

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
The board will work with a Xp-2800.
(buy a good PSU)

It can sometimes take a whyle to update the processor comptability listing as a thorough test has to be completed.

Personally id be looking for the best bang for bucks, XP-2400.
Holst,

Could you give me a minimum PSU recommendation? Also, please elaborate on the "best bang for the bucks, XP-2400". I thought it would be best to take advantage of the 333 fsb. Is this not so?
Old 27th December, 2002, 03:46 AM

PSU is a difficult one.

Wattage is often a poor guage of performance, especially in many cheap high wattage supplies (Q-Tech 550watt, isnt a very good PSU but it does boast a deceptively high wattage)
I have a 250watt supply that id consider far better than a q-tech 550, it probably cost more to.

Tomshardware recently did a PSU review its worth a look, just dont take is as gospel

Antec Truepower seem to have a good reputation.
Personaly I use a Sparkle 400watt (fortron scource rebadged as sparkle)

Im not a big enermax fan, some of there units are very good, others suprisingly poor.

Id also strongly advise people to avoid tampering with there PSU to get higher voltages, this will often casue more instability and may kill your motherboard and PSU (as several forum members have done)

Old 27th December, 2002, 03:48 AM

Best bang for bucks..

All I meant was that I think the 333bus procesors are a bit overpriced at the moment.

I think an unlocked and overclocked 2400 will get you the most speed per dollar spent.
if you have the money to spend on a 2700+ then go for it, some people have got more than 2.7 stable from them with the right cooling.

Old 27th December, 2002, 05:10 AM
jklhill

Thanks Holst. Your advise is much appreciated. I think the 333fsb processors are overpriced too. Just looking way down the line.