AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2003, 06:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesUK

Is The Power Consumption ok for my system

hi am really not sure if if this is ok or not am mearly just wondering, i have a epox 8rda+ ati radeon 9700 pro, 2 x 256mb consair xms 3200 ram, 1 cd-rom, 1 pioneer drv-105 dvd writer, 80gb ws special ed hdd. and cpu fan plus 4 case fans.
there on a enermax 431 psu, picture below shows my usdm winodw power, the main reason why am asking is because everything seems to be running off the same leads, i didn't build the system, and theres loads of spare leads on it but the 2 cd-roms r both on the same lead appears like with a splitter with also a case fan, and then theres another lead being used which appears to be powering the floppy drive, the hard drive, the video card and is also powering 2 case fans with a splitter on the same lead, would i be best getting one of th spare ones and sharing them a bit?
Attached Thumbnails
Is The Power Consumption ok for my system-power.jpg  
Old 3rd January, 2003, 06:52 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

It is recommended that the HD go off it's own lead. Other than that, I don't think it matters. Also, what speed are you running your CPU? And is it a T-Bred A or a T-Bred B?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2003, 06:55 PM

if your systems runing ok then you shouldnt need to change anything.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2003, 06:57 PM
AOA Staff

JamesUK, do you have your machine outside or something? 4C seems extremely cold for indoors...

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:13 PM

no its in my bedroom, well there out 4 fans on it, its the coolermaster 210 case

its got 2 fans on the fron suckin air in, one on the top sucking in, and the psu and a seperate fan at the back blowin it out
and my cpu just has a 80mm silent fan on it, which only gives 2000rpm but i dont think i need anymore as ya see my cpu is only like 30c max all the time, unless i run prime95 then goes to 38max

my cpu is a t-bred b, the 333fsb version of the 2600+

am not saying at all theres anything wrong and my system doesn't seem unstable at all i was just asking, but the hard drive leade has like 2 splitters on it, with the ati card on it and also some of the case fans plus the fdd.

does the image i shown look like most peoples or is my power running a bit down on the 12v.

thanks
Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:18 PM
AOA Staff

Have you tried upping the VCore on your T-Bred? It's possible you're CPU doesn't want to cooperate when you raise the FSB by a couple of notches.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:22 PM

my cpu isn't overclocked mooky, is it advisable to but a bit more power in it that normal anyway?
say about 1.70? or 1.675?

i have had a go at overclocking it a bit but it don't seme to like me changing the multiplier with this cpu but i can only get the fsb to about 175stable, i tried 185 once and i got hardware failure in prime95

will upping the vcore give a bit more for the system to or just for the cpu?

thanks
Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:31 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesUK
my cpu isn't overclocked mooky, is it advisable to but a bit more power in it that normal anyway?
say about 1.70? or 1.675?

i have had a go at overclocking it a bit but it don't seme to like me changing the multiplier with this cpu but i can only get the fsb to about 175stable, i tried 185 once and i got hardware failure in prime95

will upping the vcore give a bit more for the system to or just for the cpu?

thanks

Try raising the VCore a bit. It's more than likely that when your start your 3D apps, power is being drained from all sources including the line that's feeding your CPU. Try upping it a notch or two to see if it helps. Raising VCore is an old trick to gain stability. Another board maker is renowned for it's stability, the way they get it is by defaulting the VCore a notch higher than it's supposed to be.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:46 PM

Ok so if i put my fsb to 175 what would u say would be best i put my vcore to about 1.7? and should i touch the agp voltage or the dimm?

thanks
Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:49 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Ok so if i put my fsb to 175 what would u say would be best i put my vcore to about 1.7? and should i touch the agp voltage or the dimm?

thanks
VAGP should be ok. You might want to raise the VDimm a notch if you're running tight timings.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 07:51 PM

well my ram settings are 4-2-2-2 is this ok for xms 3200? and i guess these settings would be best a notch up on the vdimm wouldn't it?
Old 3rd January, 2003, 08:04 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
well my ram settings are 4-2-2-2 is this ok for xms 3200? and i guess these settings would be best a notch up on the vdimm wouldn't it?
I believe XMS3200 is rated for 2.0-3-3-6, so you're running it a little faster than it's rated for, although it's supposed to do that at 200FSB. Bumping it up a notch won't hurt it.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 08:14 PM

i'll put my ram settings to what there supposed to be then, might i have damaged them at all?

as i sed about oc though i tried 185 once and that was with ram settings as i just sed, but my monitor just goes on and off and get all the sirons, hehe
Old 3rd January, 2003, 08:29 PM
AOA Staff

I meant bumping the VOLTAGE up a notch won't hurt it. Try setting it to 2.63V or 2.77V. Corsair warranties its memory up to 2.8V. When you set it to 185, most likely you got the siren because your CPU couldn't take the higher speed without additional voltage. I run a T-Bred A, default voltage 1.5V, at 1.85V. It runs Prime at 1.8V, but I like to give it a little extra so it doesn't have to strain as much to run at the 1900Mhz it's doing right now.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 08:42 PM

hi, just to say thanks a lot for all your replies, bein quick as well

thanks a lot mooky
Old 3rd January, 2003, 09:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Hi JamesUK, I'd keep an eye on those temperatures if you have a Silent Heat Sink on that CPU!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd January, 2003, 09:22 PM

Question

hello, well i know now why i havn't been able to oc, hehe its because i didn't wanna go to high on the voltage as was pointed out the reason was probably cause not enough power, so have just tried and it worked, only thing is i got another problem now, belows a image from cpu-z showin i got my 2600+ to 400mhzfsb and at multiplier of 11 where as 12.5 is the default this was ok and my system seemed fine only thing is, when i ran cpu benchmark in sandra i actualy got a lower score than when am usualy at 166mhz, i just dont understand why? anyone have any reasons, the 2600+ on sandra actualy beat mine by a little and mine was runnin at 2.2ghz and 400 fsb. i set the vcore to 1.85, and the vdimm t0 2.77, agp to 66, system to optimal not aggressive., and the multiplier to 11 as i sed.
the ram was at 2.0-3-3-6

any ideas? cause i can't see how the score can be lower than usual when by systems running at 400mhz fsb and the cpu's running about 100+mhz faster than usual

my temps was only 35c with this plus i didn't have prime95 installed to test unfortunaly

also i've just noticed now lookin at the image again it says the voltage is 1.5?? why would that by i had it set to 1.85

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is The Power Consumption ok for my system-cpu-z.jpg  

Last edited by JamesUK; 3rd January, 2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 3rd January, 2003, 09:31 PM
AOA Staff

What are your voltage readings in USDM? Most likely CPU-Z isn't configured correctly for the 8RDA+. As for your other question, do you have any programs running in the background? If not, try refreshing the test.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd January, 2003, 09:43 PM

well yeh like virus stuff, but i only had exactly the same running as what i have running when i've done the tests before, i can't understad hows its possible for the cpu to be goin slower
Old 3rd January, 2003, 10:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Did you have the "optimal" settings at both 166FSB and 200FSB?

AOA Team fah