AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th January, 2003, 03:22 PM

Location: There's a hole in the sky that we all want to fall through...

Lightbulb Out-Of-The-Box Settings

I went one day to PC World ('cos I couldn't wait for the www to deliver) and bought myself some goodies: -

EPoX 8K3AE (July 02 BIOS) VIA KT 333 - And yes, I know there's an update to the BIOS.

One 512Mb PC2700 SDRAM - unsure who made it, but 333Mhz.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Model 6) & heatsink (shrinkwrapped by AMD). I didn't use thermal paste 'cos AMD's instructions said the heatsink's own "Thermal Phase Interface" (a sticker) would suffice.

80Gb ATA-133 "Caviar" HDD @ 7200 RPM

Brand spanking new 400W PSU & Case & fans.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To these, I added my old USB external modem, PS/2 keyb, COM mouse, PnP monitor, and *generic* nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400 - AGP, 64Mb RAM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changed CPU clock to 133 from default 100
Multiplier autodetected 12.5
CPU = 133*12.5 = 1667

Disabled video & bios caches
Thx 2 rojakpot.com

CPU & RAM work as standard... but CPU @ 85 c

Before I burn the house down, what the firkin is occurin'?

Next step = lap & thermal paste, but thereby invalidate warranty...
Old 7th January, 2003, 03:30 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

You would probably get more answers if you posted this in the EPoX topic. Regardless, the EPoX 8K3A series are the only EPoX boards that read temps from the ondie thermistor in the AXP. As our EPoX Tech has repeatedly stated, it it hotter inside the core of the sun than the surface. In the same way, it is way hotter inside the AXP than the outside which is the "usual" reading you get with other boards. Furthermore, the OEM heatsink fan included in retail packaged processors leave a lot to be desired in the cooling department. In addition, if your 2100+ is a T-Bred A processor, there seems to be some kind of calibration error that makes the temps about 10C higher than it should be. Regardless, as long as your machine is stable and running fine, who cares about the temps...

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2003, 03:32 PM

Re: Out-Of-The-Box Settings

Quote:
Originally posted by David Shh!
ICPU & RAM work as standard... but CPU @ 85 c

Before I burn the house down, what the firkin is occurring'?

Next step = lap & thermal paste, but thereby invalidate warranty...
There you go! I'd suggest you could drop 30-35 degrees by doing that. Don't do it, burn the chip up and see if the warranty works is the other alternative (not my idea of a good time). You may want to invest in a quality heatsink, there are many out there. If you want some suggestions, let us know.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2003, 03:37 PM
AOA Staff

UB, lapping and swapping HSF won't drop his temp by 30C. Maybe 10C. The board reads high. Guys with water cooling get temps in the 50C's.

AOA Team fah

Old 7th January, 2003, 03:54 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

take a quick look at this as well.
Old 7th January, 2003, 04:13 PM

:beer: Thanks y'all. I saw the linked thread beforehand.

1. I thought I had posted in EPoX section - being a newbie 'n' all...
2. My 2000+XP says its a model 6. Is it a Thunderbird / Thoroughbred / Thingie-bed or "the other one"?
3. Is it gonna catch fire / melt / fry? AMD site suggests 85c is max operating temperature.
4. Have EPoX missed something? The MB will safely shut itself down @ a range of low temperatures, maxing at 70. If the CPU is supposed to run at 85, everyone will have to disable the safety valve in order to run at all.
5. Am I right in thinking that my OC options are: -

* add thermal paste to CPU instead of AMD's sellotape
* increase multiplier from 12.5 (auto) to 13, then 14, then 15 = max
* replace heatsink & fan with turbocharger
* increase vCore to 1.85
* add pelting system to Northbridge
* increase CPU clock from 133 to 140, 145, 150MHz
* immerse base in liquid nitrogen

6. Sorry to be such a bore...
7. ... but what do I do 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

Cheers

Old 7th January, 2003, 04:15 PM

PS: It is actually hotter on the corona of the sun than the surface, both of which are way hotter than the centre of the sun. I guess this was an ironic metaphor.

:-)
EPoX 8K3AE 512Mb PC2700WD Caviar ATA133 80Gb nVidia GeForce2 AGP4x 64Mb 425W PSU XP Pro Vanilla OEM HS&F Palamino 2000+ @ 140*12.5 = 1.75GHz ...a cool 60 in the shade
Old 7th January, 2003, 05:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Step 1. Remove stock HSF

Step 2. scrape away all traces of buble gum and clean core with fingernail polish remover then swap with denatured alcohol and let evaporate. This will not void your warrenty (why would it???). Now write down everything written on the core of the cpu and post it here.

Step 3. Put your receipt, stock HSF and everything that came in the box with your CPU (except the CPU) back in the box. Then stick the box on the top shelf of your closet. If you ever need to RMA your CPU you will need the box and receipt.

Step 4. Get a high performance HSF. Something like a Thermaright AX7 or SK800 and then put a lower cfm fan for quiet operation. (if you could find a Glaciator2 or Glaciator lite on a classified that would do a ggod job) anyway wou will want a HSF that uses an 80mm fan. Lap that HSF to a flat finish (do not lap the cpu core.) Apply a good quality thermal grease (only a very very small amount is needed with a flat HSF)

Step 5. Once you are happy with the cooling set up you can overclock. I don't know if that cpu is unlocked or not. If it is not factory unlocked then you will need to unlock it if you want to change the multipyer. Unlocking the cpu will void your warrenty, inwhich case you can throw away your receipt and use the stock HSF as a paper wieght. Everyone has different ideas on how to best overclock. Most will agree that the highest FSB with the highest CPU speed is best.

If you have multiplier control you can start by lowering your multiplyer and under clocking your CPU the start raising the FSB until your CPU is back up to stock speed. Then lower your multiplier and raise the FSB. Repeat until your system is no longer stable. (I am unfamiliar with your mobo so bear with me) You may have VDIMM setting you can raise to get your RAM to go a little higher. Once your system is no longer stable back off the FSB until it is stable then back it off 2 more MHZ just to be safe. Now start increasing your multiplier until your system becomes unstabe them go back to the last stable point.

If you don't have multipier control and don't want to void your warrenty just start upping the FSB

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 7th January, 2003, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
UB, lapping and swapping HSF won't drop his temp by 30C. Maybe 10C. The board reads high. Guys with water cooling get temps in the 50C's.
When I get home I'll post a screen shot of my newest chip..an XP 1900 (AGOGA) running at 1755 MHz and 46 C. I think that with stock settings 50 C would be easily attainable.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 7th January, 2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 7th January, 2003, 08:04 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
When I get home I'll post a screen shot of my newest chip..an XP 1900 (AGOGA) running at 1755 MHz and 46 C. I think that with stock settings 50 C would be easily attainable.
Hey UB,
The paliminos will read differently than tbreds.. I don't know why, but people have been complaining about the temp reading being way to high when they switch from a palimino to a tbred cpu. AFAIK, this is only on the 8K3A.

BTW... in MBM, which one is the CPU temp for the 8K3A? I never bothered to set mine up properly.
Old 7th January, 2003, 09:01 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

BTW... in MBM, which one is the CPU temp for the 8K3A? I never bothered to set mine up properly.
Gotta be the one that reads the highest...

AOA Team fah

Old 7th January, 2003, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Hey UB,
The paliminos will read differently than tbreds.. I don't know why, but people have been complaining about the temp reading being way to high when they switch from a palimino to a tbred cpu. AFAIK, this is only on the 8K3A.

I believe he's running an XP 2000 so that's even a later than mine, right? (both T breds)

Old 7th January, 2003, 10:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob

I believe he's running an XP 2000 so that's even a later than mine, right? (both T breds)
He mentioned Model 6, which I think is Palimino .
I can't check atm.

Is Model 7 Tbred A, and Model 8 Tbred B??
Old 8th January, 2003, 12:09 AM

I don't really know for sure. here is a description:
Quote:
Technical Notes:
*PAMDAXP2000BOX
MODEL- AMDAXP2000BOX VENDOR- AMD (ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES)

FEATURES- Athlon XP Desktop 2000+ Processor- Retail Boxed
1.733 GHz Socket A processor with QuantiSpeed Architecture. Requires
a motherboard that is Athlon XP optimized.
Processor in a box with heatsink and fan.
Pin Grid Array (PGA) for mounting in a socketed infrastructure.
Based on the 0.18 micron aluminum process technology.
266MHz Advanced Front Side System Bus for superior performance on
data-rich applications and 3DNow! Professional Technology, which
adds 52 new instructions for advanced 3D and Multimedia performance.
Performance-enhancing cache memory features 128K of L1 cache and 256K
of integrated, on-chip L2 cache for a total of 384K full speed, on-
chip cache.
QuantiSpeed architecture optimizes work per clock cycle so the Athlon
XP has superior overall performance.
* AMD's QuantiSpeed Architecture incorporates:
- 9 issue, fully pipelined, superscalar micro-architecture.
- Superscalar, fully pipelined Floating Point Unit (FPU).
- Hardware data pre-fetch.
- Exclusive and speculative Translation look-aside buffers (TLB).
www.amd.com

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 8th January, 2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 8th January, 2003, 10:26 AM

Talking

Q & A:

1. It's a model 6, so it's a palamino.
2. Base setting of 133 * 12.5 = 1667 Mhz, unlike AMD's publicity quoted.
3. Doh! I rotated the HSF by 180 degrees and applied paste; temp dropped to 50c there & then I knew that large notch was there for some reason or other...
4. I think the multiplier is locked, as POST shows 12.5 whatever I do in BIOS
5. ...but when I tried to change multiplier to 13* it worked fine, 14* gets past POST but XP won't have any of it, and 15* won't even boot. I'm getting used to using the reset jumper...
6. So I upped the frequency from 133 to 136 = OK, but at 139, XP won't play ball.

I'll try the suggestions for frequency & multipliers & see how far I get.

My mobo has a speed setting in the RAM section; normal, fast, fastest & turbo. These set the interleave, timing & turnaround of RAM. Win XP doesn't like turbo (BSoD) but "Fastest" is fine. Still not getting hot :-D
Old 8th January, 2003, 04:06 PM

Cool common mistake

with the heatsink.

you are lucky that you didn't totally fry the cpu.

it won't happen again, my bet.

baldy
Old 13th January, 2003, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Have EPoX missed something? The MB will safely shut itself down @ a range of low temperatures, maxing at 70. If the CPU is supposed to run at 85, everyone will have to disable the safety valve in order to run at all.
Update - just to close the thread - I patched BIOS (was July 02, now Oct 02) and mobo can now cope with temps up to 90c. Hurrah for EPoX!
EPoX 8K3AE 512Mb PC2700WD Caviar ATA133 80Gb nVidia GeForce2 AGP4x 64Mb 425W PSU XP Pro Vanilla OEM HS&F Palamino 2000+ @ 140*12.5 = 1.75GHz ...a cool 60 in the shade