AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2003, 10:36 AM

Okay Muzz you have motivated me again here is some more info. I have not done the mod and if I can avoid it I will. As far as the memory voltage the the farthest I have taken it is 2.7 so I will take it a little bit farther but your post did confuse me a little so im asking for a little more detail

1. take fans of the MOBO?????

2. Put on molex connectors.

Please give me a little more detail on that. And even though I am dissapointed that I have not been able to run 400fsb I still have to say in all fairness this is the best motherboard I have ever had. And when I look at all the other competitors and one day and time I have had them all and the most motherboards I have ever had from a company is Epox you have helped me before at amdmb matter of fact you told me about this website. Also im using c10 bios do you reccomend me flash to C31???? Also I have not tried to apply AS to the northbridge yet. if I decide to try that should I only put a small amount so it does not act as a blanket and secondly will I have problems withthe NB heat sink putting it back on tks
Old 11th January, 2003, 10:46 AM

Also one more thing I just tried upping the Vcore to and memory to higher settings basically what happens is the system posts and boots in to xp then my system hangs and this is what I get
200x9
vcore 1.85 Vdimm 2.90

1 Windows error message

"windows has recovered from a hardware failure please restart your system and restore settings my video drops to 4bit and goes from a 1152x864 to an 640x480 have you seen or heard of this tks again
Old 11th January, 2003, 10:55 AM

I believe Muzz mean't by
1. take fans of the MOBO????? THAT MEANS DO NOT CONNECT ANY FANS TO THE MOTHERBOARD FAN HEADERS...( THERI IS 3 OF THEM ON THIS MOTHERBOARD)

2. Put on molex connectors AND I BELIEVE HE MEAN'T TO CONNECT THE FANS THAT YOU DID HAVE CONNECTED THE MOTHERBOARD DIRECTLY TO THE POWERSUPPLY VIA THE MOLEX CONNECTORS......

As for the Northbridge (SPP) cooling I would recommend using the Vantec IceBurg, or the another aftermarket active chipset cooler......( I used the Crystal Orb, but you will have to use Artic Adheasive to attach) the Iceburg connects right up ( so I have read).......

As for the dimm voltage....I have never had any problems with 2.9v with the corsair PC3500 memory.....

I now can run 3dmark looping at 220fsb.......so the Vmod to the motherboard does help.......

I run at 1.85v on the mod.....NP..

Hope this can help you run 200mhz stable.....
PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe
X800XT (ASAP) ATM 9800XT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2003, 11:00 AM

Okay now I understand about the fans/molex connectors I have the delta fan plugged directly in to the board. I will fix that. Also lets talk about the Mod I have never done something like this before how difficult is it to do the mod I have not seen a good post yet describing how to do this heck a post with images showing the mod and what to do would even be better let me know if you can tks muzz/jason
Old 11th January, 2003, 11:29 AM

NP at all
I wouldn't go up on the vcore unless you can't push the chip any harder without doing so, that is the only time you should do that IMHO ( I run mine @1.9volts- water cooling, have needed 2v+ when benching with chilled water)...
You should be able to leave the memory at 2.9 ( remember though that is out of spec for warranty....., but cmon 2.9? I run that and unless I'm running bench #5 from memtest a few times in a row it doesn't even get hot - but it's your ram/your responsibility........:-D ...... I bet you could do 3.1 on that no sweat, but it's your ram, so don't listen to me....... )

I can't seem to go back to the beginning of this thread while posting this, so I'm sure you dropped the multi back enough to give you headroom right?
Start at a lower multi( 1.5-2 back from default), and start raising from there to find your ceiling......... like I said I can't see what you wrote, and I have forgotten. so if you already did that then cool.
Here is the thread explaining everything about that mod with at least 1 pic showing it...... I would advise against using those grabbers myself, as I think there are a short waiting to happen..... they are flimsy, but some folks are using them.

Don't do this mod yourself if you don't understand or cannot solder or attach the grabber correctly.
Mods are done at your own risk , this is physically an EZ mod, even though ET says it shouldn't be done.
Here is the link, read into at least the 5th page... you'll understand after about page 2/3.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&threadid=7215

Good Luck, and TBO I hope you dont HAVE to do the mod, but if ya have to it is an EZ one.

muzz
Old 11th January, 2003, 12:43 PM

Well after a long long long long long battle im running 200mhz fsb and your not going to believe the crap I tell you. One of my earlier posts I explained that in windows it would report that harware would fail and then video would drop to 4 bit color. So what I have done is I pulled my Radeon 9700 pro out and I stuck a Geforce 4 Mx 440 in and im running at 200fsb without xp crashing on me. Unfreakin believeable. So I will xchange video cards later today
Old 11th January, 2003, 03:05 PM

Cool uh

been following this thread with interest.

i wiz wondering when he would ID the prob as the 9700.

my 9700Pro craps @195FSB, therefore i can not use it. as far as RMA goes, there is no way i can return a card that performs perfectly at advertised normal speeds, and craps at the beginning of way out of spec speeds.

tell me, how are you doing it??? i would be interested what you are going to tell the vendor.

with a part that expensive, they will test it, and if it works in the shop properly, guess what they are gonna do????

same thing i would, send it back to you!!!!

goes to show you, it is the marriage of components that gets the ultimate clock.

has been since i started the clocking game.

baldy
Old 11th January, 2003, 04:23 PM

I use the 9700Pro with NP...........

The V Mod on Motherboard does effect the video card stabality.......

So, I wouldn't be to fast to think it is the video card....

The Vmod is really easy as long as you take your time and think about what you are doing......
X800XT (ASAP) ATM 9800XT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2003, 04:46 PM

Why don't the 9700's work so good @ 200fsb?

The AGP and PCI buses are locked, so were told and i do believe they are

So why would the 9700 Pro's cards (some, not all) have a problem here?

Axel
Old 11th January, 2003, 05:07 PM

My system was running 100% stable 2400@200x12 w/ 1x512MB XMS3200C2 -- and I have a Radeon 9700 Pro. I know the video card can do 200FSB.

I'll keep you updated as to the progress with these new hardware changes..
Old 11th January, 2003, 05:42 PM

It's not the MHZ that is the problem. It is the power side from the motherboard that interfaces with the agp bus, memory controller, and the cpu......Via the V Mod helps with this problem....
X800XT (ASAP) ATM 9800XT
Old 11th January, 2003, 07:36 PM

Ahh thanks Jason
That makes perfect sense.

It would follow then that the Geforce FX may have a similar problem?

Not good, i'm planning on one of them baby's

Axel
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soldier2000

The solution is: Buy an rev 1.1 board, or do the vdd mod. There are no other things that you can do to hit the 200fsb, they just don't help anything.
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:38 PM

I have a 9700p, and I can tell you I have run over 230fsb, with my agp freq at 75 mhz without issue......... so I don't understand that.
If your sure thats it well then exchange it...... I've run my agp voltage at up to 1.8( Edit: or 1.7 whichever is the highest in the bios- can't remember offhand) also, but usually just default.
I have a version 1.1 9700

Good Luck.

muzz

Last edited by muzz; 11th January, 2003 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Clocker

One simple thing you might try is go into the BIOS and 'Load Optimized Defaults' for everything. Save settings and restart and go back into the BIOS again. Then, tweak your settings (FSB, Interface, DDR timing, disable unused devices, etc).

Something is weird about 'Loading Optimized Defaults'. At one point , my system was very unstable (would not load windows) until I performed the steps above and then it was fine. Now I run 200FSB with my XP2400+ at 2600+ on my 8RDA+ v1.1 with no problems. My first 8RDA+ would not boot windows at 200mhz FSB to save it's life.

Also, I think northbridge cooling & good heatsink contact is important.

Bottom line is that I think it really comes down to whether or not your got a 'good' northbridge that will overclock well. If you don't, making sure your NB cooling is very good and doing the Vdd mod are probably your best options.

C
Old 11th January, 2003, 09:32 PM

I have been running at 200MHz FSB for weeks , You might be on to something about loading optimized defaults in bios setup. My previous board had hidden settings in the bios , by loading optimized settings some of them got changed. I run my fans off of the 4-wire p4 plug from the psu (Isnipped it and hardwired the fans power connections) , but left the 1 yellow (signal) wire going to the motherboard to get fanspeed readings. My memory timings are high compared to others reports (7,3,3,3) . I don't like that Sandra does its memory benchmark using only 1 memory module , I found a program to test memory that takes dual channel ddr into account (I think) . It is called SPEC viewperf 7.0 , it is a big file , 290MB , took over a 1/2 hour to download. Keep at it , you'll get there.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 11th January, 2003, 09:35 PM

Well alot of posts since I explained the issue of the video card. I will have another 9700 in two hours. I can't for sure say this is the only issue all I know is when running 200fsb xp would report a hardware failure that it recovered from after a system Hang and the video would drop down to 4 bit. I grabbed a geforce mx 440 and the thing does not crash. maybe a new 9700 won't fix the soulution maybe it has to do with me running a 1152x864 resolution I don't know im going to have to research my problem more I just hope I don't cause a Hysteria where everyone who can't hit 200fsb is going to blame it on there video I just think it's my specific problem but we will see I will follow up with the issue
Old 12th January, 2003, 07:34 AM

dont be so sure that its just radeon cards...my gainward ti4600 just did the same thing. I booted at 200fsb using just 1 stick (i pulled the other out just to test) and all of a sudden windows locked then it kicked me into that EXTREMELY low color mode. Its a problem with the chipset which it seems everything is boiling down to. I'll be doing the VDD mod in a few days...should help things.
512MB Corsair PC3500 (2 sticks)
Radeon 9700 Pro
120GB WD SE & 80GB Maxtor
SB Audigy Plat Ex(modded to audigy 2)
Linksys 10/100
Pioneer DVD Slot Loader
Plextor 24x