AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th January, 2003, 08:04 PM

Ok, that's it.. can't hit 200FSB -- my solution!

Well, after many wasted days of trial and error.. I've given up on my current setup to ever hit 200FSB (in DualDDR). So, I ordered new stuff. I'm quite tired of people blaming my hardware, so fine.. time to rule all that out (even though I know it's not the hardware). So, I went crazy and:

- Sold my 8RDA+ Revision 1.0, and ordered a Revision 1.1.
- Sold my Antec SL400, and ordered an Antec True550.
- Sold my 2x256 XMS3200C2, and ordered 2 new sticks.
- Sold my Thermaltake SK-7, and now have a H2O cooling setup*.

Now.. if I still can't do 200FSB, I'm going to go on a shooting spree.

* "H2O Cooling Setup" consists of Danger Den "Maze2-2", BeCool "Aquacoil" and a Maxi-Jet 900.

Last edited by magnux; 10th January, 2003 at 08:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2003, 08:33 PM

LOL
Old 10th January, 2003, 08:39 PM

And just how much money did you say you have?!?!

Am i the only student/budget person here

Athlon 64 3700+, Shuttle sn95, 1gb, nvidia 7600gt

----old-----
xp1700+ @ xp2600 (12.5*166 / 1.6v), epox 8k3a+, TwinMos + Geil 1.5gb ram, Ati radeon 8500 128mb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2003, 08:39 PM

Actually.. I'm only going to be "out" around $50 or so. Remember, I sold all my other stuff.

edit: Well, that and around $100 for the water cooling stuff.
Old 10th January, 2003, 08:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soldier2000

The solution is: vdd mod
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Soldier2000
The solution is: vdd mod
Actually, that didn't do squat for me.

Also, the risk is greater than the reward IMHO. I should be able to do ~ 200FSB w/o the need to mod the VDD. If, however, I get an itch to go over 200FSB, then I can understand.

I've read a few horror stories about the VDD mod taking equipment with it.. I've also heard the excuses. In any event, I just don't feel comfortable doing it. I'm already ignoring my common sense and putting water in my case.
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:08 PM

I wish you luck I have tried two different 8RDA+ boards I have tried two different sets of xms3500 I updgraded from a 350watt enermax to a 480 watt antec yet still if I want stability 190x2 is the best I can do I have an xp2200 and I have done everything people have suggested from removing the Jumper that's right below the Power connection to increasing Vcore voltage and even dimm voltage. Im hoping a bios update in the future will fix issues because it seams to me alot of people here cannot hit 200fsb and run stable.
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alpha22555
I wish you luck I have tried two different 8RDA+ boards I have tried two different sets of xms3500 I updgraded from a 350watt enermax to a 480 watt antec yet still if I want stability 190x2 is the best I can do I have an xp2200 and I have done everything people have suggested from removing the Jumper that's right below the Power connection to increasing Vcore voltage and even dimm voltage. Im hoping a bios update in the future will fix issues because it seams to me alot of people here cannot hit 200fsb and run stable.
To me, it seems to be a DualDDR issue. I ran 200FSB with no sweat while using 1x512MB XMS3200. There are, however, people who are running DualDDR @ 200FSB. There's obviously a variable somewhere.

The RAM manufacturers blame EPoX, and EPoX blames the RAM manufacturers.

We'll see how this pans out.. in any event, at least I'll be able (hopefully?) to break my 2.3GHz limit. I've gotten 2.4GHz stable, but that's about it for my air cooling setup (XP2400 + SK7).
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:34 PM

try removing the jumper for 100-133 & 133-166
gives more stabilty, specially in 3d games, etc.

i have 2 x 512MB corsair xms3200c2 running 200FSB no sweat.
with rev1.1 board, i had a rev1.0 board too which oced the same, until i killed it, that is...

the only way i get stabilty at 200+ FSB is to remove the jumper.................
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:44 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I didn't see any mention of NB cooling?!?!?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iklebrit
try removing the jumper for 100-133 & 133-166
gives more stabilty, specially in 3d games, etc.

i have 2 x 512MB corsair xms3200c2 running 200FSB no sweat.
with rev1.1 board, i had a rev1.0 board too which oced the same, until i killed it, that is...

the only way i get stabilty at 200+ FSB is to remove the jumper.................
Actually, removing that jumper made my system more unstable. In fact, it forced me to lower my multiplier even MORE to regain stability.
Old 10th January, 2003, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
I didn't see any mention of NB cooling?!?!?
Rob
Ah yes, I forgot to mention I have a water block for the NB as well.
Old 10th January, 2003, 10:39 PM

What does that jumper actually do??

I didn't notice any difference with it on or off.

So whats the point in it??
Plextor CD/RW 24/10/40x /Lite-On DVD 16x
WD Caviar 80GB Special Edition / IBM 75GXP 40GB
Old 10th January, 2003, 10:41 PM

god knows what it does, all i know is it stabilizes games at higher fsbs, if you get no errors in benches etc, n just 3d games n stuff crash, removing the jumper stops it from crashing.
Old 11th January, 2003, 01:47 AM

Have U ever tried to set the CPU interface to Optimal insted of agressive?
In agressive mode it seams to make some shortcuts when getting 64byte strides to the L2 cache and in a way overclock the FSB allready

Anyway I pulled the jumper removed thermal throtling and set the CPU inerface to Optimal and have been running @ 200 ever since... have not tried higher but 200 is enuff 4 me now
Old 11th January, 2003, 03:33 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I think if the board is setup correctly and if the board is good, it should have no problems running 200 with the CPU Interface set at "Aggressive." Listen, I'm not some kind of super hardware guy willing to get crazy phase cooling setups and do volt mods (That's muzz), and if I can get my setup to do it, anybody can. I think it's just a matter getting the right parts, and I know that last phrase is completely loaded.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 11th January, 2003, 04:03 AM

Crazy is all in how ya look at things mook.......... :beer:
Old 11th January, 2003, 04:56 AM

Ahhhhhhhhh, loaded..........very.....

you are right about the right parts, but all mass production products have a certain inconsistency of a couple of %.....Like for example, the phrase, "you get what you pay for"...well true to a certain point...to a $ reality....If you wanted your equipment to work 99.5% perfect then you would have it to mil spec or a very high Q.A. standard, which would cost you alot of $$$$$$$$$...

Anyhow, the vdd mod is a great option if you dare to try it.........After reading the data sheet on the chip that the resistor is connected to in the vdd mod, it says, "max volt is 1.81v and optimal is 1.8v".......now I didn't read the whole data sheet, but that might imply that it is safe for the chip to run at 1.8v......I don't know about the rest of the motherboard?

I have been running 1.85v and no problems what so ever.....I have pushed this board with my current setup for long periods at a time with the FSB between 210mhz to 225mhz in dual DDR setup and no problems to speak of....

Maybe you should write a checklist on all the troubleshooting methods, Volt mods etc...you read in all the threads...in the chase for the 200mhz fsb..

Then go down this list and try everything possible.....

A couple of basics that come to mind is:

- North Bridge cooled via water, or active air.
- Power supply 12v/5v lines at rated voltage.
- Vdd at least 1.6v
- Quality memory, (A good compatible stick)
- Equipment installed correctly.

Happy times...:-D
PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe
X800XT (ASAP) ATM 9800XT

Last edited by Jasonx5213; 11th January, 2003 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:34 AM

I have a hard time believeing it's all about the hardware and im going to lay down my specs on my system.

Xp 2200+ with akaska II Silver Mountain cpu temp is right at 99 Degrees F

8RDA+ have tried both rev 1.0 and 1.1 currently with the 1.1 C10 Bios

2x 256 sticks of Corsair xms 3500 my second batch because I RMA'd the set before

Radeon 9700 Pro running AGP 8x

Antec 480 Watt Power supply

Westerdigital 120GB SE

Liteon 52/24/52

Windows XP SP 1 and yes have formated the hard drive running the video with DX 9 catalyst 3.0 Drivers

I have tried upping Vcore voltage
I have tried upping Memory Voltage

To be truly stable I have to run 190mhz x2 I have removed the 133/166 Jumper. I have tried quite a few bioses. I have played with bios settings a countless number of times and can anyone still tell me why I can't run 200 FSB and run stable. My hareware it top quality stuff and it's very frustrating that I can't do what I should be able to do. I have been buliding systems for close to 10 years But I cannot solve this Over clock problem. Numerous people have tried to step in and help. But still with no success know one has been able to get be around this problem. Heck at this point im ready to take my digital camera and take pictures of my bios settings and send them via email. So if someone wants the challenge to get me running the way I should be then let me know
Old 11th January, 2003, 09:05 AM

I hate to say it Alpha, but 200/400fsb wasn't guaranteed bro- 166/333 was......... now that that is outta the way......
You haven't done the vdd mod yet have you? My guess is you haven't as you didn't mention it, and I know what your gonna say something probably like " I shouldn't have to hack up my board to get 200fsb"..... and your right really, I agree.
It seems like ALOT of folks were in the same EXACT boat as you, did the mod, and are now cruising between 215-230+fsb , so if you don't want to do the mod, and you've tried everything else, well then I guess there is nothing that we can do.
When you mod a board you are taking risks, no doubt about it, but I would think if you do the mod, and keep it under 1.8vdd you will probably be fine -- BUT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES WITH MODS- I will NOT be BLAMED, and the void your warranty.
If you've tried to take the fans off the mobo and put on the molex connectors, you've tried upping the voltage ( that ram will run fine on 2.9 IMHO( mine does ), some folks run Corsair at over 3.1v for a long time with no ill effect- but no guarantee there either),you've switched ram slots, you've switched PSU's, you've manually set the timings in the bios to aggressive and optimal, and stopped the spd, you stripped any add-on cards besides the vcard..... you've checked the nb hs for overheating...... have you taken that off and applied AS?

I don't like the fact you are unable to get it to work to your satisfaction, as it is a great board, and you seem to have given it a good try thats for sure.
ET said that the vdd mod we are doing is bad, 1 guy blew up his board ( he was adjusting it with an ill advised 50k pot, should've been a 1K-15 turn cermet pot( for steady slow adjustments), went too fast and bamm see-ya , it was unfortunate user error), I believe he said it wasn't that the chipset couldn't handle voltage, it was the way it was done..... so you will have to weigh that if you are thinking about it.
Again I feel for ya man, as I have a very good idea how much $ you spent on that stuff, never mind the amount of time you have put into it.

If you haven't done everything that is in that list try them all, and if you have then I can't think of anything off hand that can help you besides the vdd mod........ but I may be forgetting something, and if I am I will let you know if I can think of anything else to try.
I am not advocating the use of this mod( well maybe a little..), but it does work.

Obviously any mods are at YOUR OWN RISK!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help man

muzz

Last edited by muzz; 11th January, 2003 at 09:07 AM.