AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2003, 11:45 PM

Some 8RDA+ problems

I'm running the 8RDA+ with an XP 2100+, PC2700 (only 266 MHz FSB though) running in "optimal" configuration, and a Radeon 9000 PRO 128 MB vid card. I am running Windows XP Pro. I haven't touched too many settings on the bios (12/31/02 bios version) (everything set to optimal right now... stability first, tinkering later), and I got the computer booting decently stable, but I've noticed some problems:

The error code LED runs through every hex number from (I think) 27 to FF very fast at every bootup and stays at FF the whole time its on.

I had to disconnect the extra USB bracket from the MB because it was causing serious system errors (the blue screen where XP dumps your physical memory to your HD... even in safe mode, command prompt and also when booting from the XP CD). These errors were so severe that I had to format my HD and reinstall XP.

The Magic Flash BIOS program always told me that I had the latest bios revision even when I knew this wasn't true (and after I updated the bios manually it told me that it "cannot get new bios info").

I get infrequent crashes with whatever program I'm using, but I crash out of video games (Neverwinter Nights or Diablo 2) usually with a minute or two of starting them. Everytime Diablo 2 crashes, it gives me a different error message (Diablo 2 doesn't trigger the MS "program crash/send the info to MS" response from XP) usually relating to couldn't find a file or invalid code or something similar. I'm guessing a small memory leak?

Windows XP also sees my CD burner and DVD-ROM drives as being SCSI cdrom devices (I don't have any SCSI devices on my system), and the DVD-ROM drive doesn't work (it will start to spin, then slow down, then speed up, then slow down, etc... but nothing will read from it) and Windows explorer reads the DVD-ROM drive as a generic CD drive even though device manager sees it as "ATAPI 12X DVD-ROM SCSI cdrom device".

Lastly, the temp monitor program keeps reading my system temperature as ~14C or roughly 60 degrees F.... My AC in the house keeps the house temp at around 75 degrees F, and my CPU is running around the mid 120's F idle and ~140 F hot. I think this temp sensor program is flaky since the bios reads the system temp ~ 100F (which sounds better since my case is currently open but in a confined space). Anyone else seeing the odd/cool system temp in the Windows monitor program that came with the MB, but the bios is reading the temp correctly?

Which of these problems could be caused by the faulty USB connector on the MB? I can understand the crashes and the bios based programs having issues from it, but could this also be causing my CD/DVD drive issues? I can't imagine what would cause IDE devices to be mistaken as SCSI devices. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

I'm going to get a replacement MB, but I'm stuck with this one until my retailer gets more in stock. They already have 43 back orders and the shipment doesn't arrive until Wednesday, next week... sigh... 8o)

Patric
Old 12th January, 2003, 12:51 AM

Someone suggested at OCWorkbench to try increasing my Vcore to improve stability, but my cpu is already running rather warm (50-60C), anyone have any suggestions about this idea? I've never increased my Vcore before but I understand the theory behind wanting to do it, anyone have any tips for someone looking to do this for the first time?
Old 12th January, 2003, 01:08 AM

I might have some answers for you after struggling with my 8rda+ for a week or two...I've got everything working now and I hope this helps...

1)gaming problems were the new 12/31/2002 bios for me...the 12/10/2002 worked much better...flash it from a floppy and forget the fancy stuff.

2)The dvd/burner problems could be two things...first the 12/10/2002 bios helped me with some issues and the big problem were the nvidia ide drivers. Go into device manager and uninstall them...windows will install new default drivers that solved all my ide problems but it takes three reboots and all is well.

3)The codes you see rush by at boot are fine and every Epox motherboard I've ever owned sits at FF during operation.

Hope this helps.

Also try a different bios setting for the usb port (just a guess)..

Good Luck.
Old 12th January, 2003, 04:01 PM

I removed the Nvidia IDE drivers, and the SCSI drive issue went away (of course now it doesn't see my DVD-ROM drive at all, but it wasn't working when it did see it, I'll try swapping master/slave with a couple of things once I get back from my study group this afternoon to see if XP can recognize it -- the bios recognizes it...). Kudos on the tip. I was thinking about that one actually.

Several people at OCworkbench suggested that it sounds like I have a heating issue. I thounght my temps were running a bit high since my old 1 GHz Tbird was running much cooler than this (~50C max ever). I ran into problems getting the darn heatsink on this MB to begin with, so I might have messed up some of the thermal compound I put on it while trying to get it down (I ended up giving up using my thumbs and used two spin-tights). I'll try reseating my heatsink a little later today, and I'll let you guys know the result.

Thermal compound doesn't expire does it? I'm using the same tube that I used last time I upgraded (about 2 years ago).

Thanks for your help.

Patric
Old 12th January, 2003, 04:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else here running a Volcano 8+? If so, what are your cpu temps?
Old 12th January, 2003, 06:23 PM

Sorry its a volcano 8, not a volcano 8+.

This may sound like a rather dumb question, but am I supposed to remove the black square of stuff that's in the middle of the bottom of the heatsink?

It seemed soft like something to help improve contact bewteen the heatsink and the CPU, so I left it on, but while I have it off I figured I'd ask to make sure.

Also, I was comparing the specs for the volcano 8 to the volcano 7 and 9, and it appears that the 7 dissipates heat better than the 8... is that right? I figured that the higher the revision number, the better the part.

Did I get a crummy heatsink?
Old 12th January, 2003, 06:40 PM

My heatsink is the volcano 8 SE. I'm sure of this now. The links aren't immediately available for the volcano 8 series on the Thermaltake website. You have to search for them. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12th January, 2003, 06:50 PM

Also, my cpu is a palomino (square die) with vin numbers AX2100DMT3C. I see alot of people talking about operating temps with Tbreds, but not with Palominos. I know the Palominos should be running hotter at the same frequency, but by how much?
Old 13th January, 2003, 04:07 AM

nanopit , If your bios "sees" your dvd but winxp doesn't try this: Click the windows key (2 to the left of spacebar) plus the pause/break key to get into Sysyem Properties. Click the Hardware Tab , Then click the Device Manager button ,Then the checkbox next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click Secondary IDE Channel , You are now looking at Secondary IDE Channel Properties , Click the advanced Settings Tab, Make sure that in the drop down menus you have "AUTO DETECTION " and "DMA IF AVAILABLE" for both device 0 and device 1. Reboot.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2003, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nanopit
Sorry its a volcano 8, not a volcano 8+.

This may sound like a rather dumb question, but am I supposed to remove the black square of stuff that's in the middle of the bottom of the heatsink?

It seemed soft like something to help improve contact bewteen the heatsink and the CPU, so I left it on, but while I have it off I figured I'd ask to make sure.
take that thermal crap of the heatsink and apply a thin layer of arctic silver2 or 3 to the cpu core.