AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th January, 2003, 02:31 PM

8RDA+ Just won't stay on

I just got my brand spanking new 8RDA+ however my joy was short lived as I found a problem which seems unique to this forum.
My setup is as follows, all brand new parts btw
Epox 8RDA+ motherboard
Athlon "Thoroughbred" XP 2400+
Asus V8420 TD 128MB Geforce 4 Ti4200
2x Crucial 256MB DDR PC2700
Western Digital Caviar 40GB
LTR-48246S 48x/24x/48x CD-RW
Chieftech Scorpio TX-10SLD and its supplied PSU
Globalwin CAK4-88T Thermal Control Heatsink.

After putting the CPU into the motherboard and installing the heatsink I powered up the motherboard using the 340W PSU supplied with my chieftec case. The heatsink fan started and the motherboard LED display lit up C1, no sooner had it done this before it turned itself off again and began beeping continuously like a siren (high beep followed by low beep). Checking the
manual I see C1 relates to memory so I insert both memory sticks into Dimm 1 and Dimm 2. I then start up again and the LED display reads C1, then C3 then very briefly reads 0A then turns off. Checking the Mb manual I see 0A refers to the keyboard/Mouse. So I plug in my mouse and keyboard and start it up again. I get exactly the same result.

Now I've sent this problem to several tech help sites and they've been less than helpful. YES everything is in the right way round, YES ive started it outside of the case on the provided foam mat thingy to avoid shorting.
Old 14th January, 2003, 02:34 PM

I've tested all parts in my older PC except the CPU and RAM. The PSU is also untested but assumed working.

The memory does appear to be detected by the mobo and the CPU is not scratched, bent or cracked.

I suppose im really after confirmation that the mobo is broken so i can get it exchanged. Not suprisingly the site i got it from are less than inclined to say its broken.

PLEASE help me, I have no floor space until I put this thing together and I keep cutting my feet on sharp bits of metal.
Old 14th January, 2003, 03:21 PM

Try just one ram stick in the furthest slot from the CPU and see if it works.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th January, 2003, 03:33 PM

When I recieve a new mobo the first thing I do when I remove the Anti static bag is clear the CMOS, have tried that?
EPoX 8RGA+, XP3000+ 12x200@2400Mhz cooled by Danger Maze3 H20 setup, 2x256mb TwinMos PC 3200, WD 80GB Special Edition, Radeon 9800 Pro, Klipsch Pro Media 4.1, LiteON 48x12x48, LIAN LI PC 75USB w/Window, Antec 480w True power PSU w/Blue LED.....
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5785350
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th January, 2003, 03:51 PM

Yeah cleared CMOS, tried all memory variations.

My problem isnt errors getting the machine to boot up all happy, its getting it to stay on. Im looking for problems that would tell the mobo to turn off after 3 seconds. Im thinking bad PSU or the mobo being faulty. Im 90% sure those are the only 2 things that could be causing it
Old 14th January, 2003, 06:56 PM

It could be bad CPU or memory as well as board or PSU.

C1 and beeping sounds like memory to me.

The shutdown might be temperature related, is your heatsink correctly fitted.

have you tried unplugging your heatsinks fan (just to test carefully) what fan is it ?

Id definately want to test other components in a known working board if at all possible.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 15th January, 2003, 06:16 AM

"The shutdown might be temperature related, is your heatsink correctly fitted".
That one got me already , you have to physically remove the hsf and see that you were having contact between chip core and heatsink , My problem was using a copper heatsink designed for a t-bird cpu (1.4 GHz) , used the stock cooler for a week until I could afford a Zalman .
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 16th January, 2003, 04:50 PM

Heatsink was the problem.
Whacked on a van load of arctic silver and bingo

YAY