AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2003, 12:39 AM

How To determe if FSB limit is mb or memory ?

What are some ways in determining if the FSB limit is caused by the motherboard (Vdd) or by memory?

The reason I ask is I picked up 2 sticks of 512M Corsair PC3500-C2. In bios I set memory timings to 7-3-3-2 @2.7Vdimm, 100% fsb ratio. I ran the XP 2400+ with a 9x multiplier with 200Mhz FSB with cpu set to optimal. The AGP speed is locked in at 66Mhz. When running 3DMark2K1 to test out 3D stability, it would exit back to the desktop now and then. Bumping the Vdimm to 2.9 allows 3DMark2K1 to complete without any hiccups. When I select 205Mhz FSB, the system hard-locks up in 3DMark2K1. I can drop the memory timings down to 5-2-2-2 @2.9Vdimm and run 11.5x multiplier with 200Mhz FSB stable with 3DMark2K1, UT2K3, Q3A, and run Folding@Home 24/7.

Selecting various Vagp settings did not help in 3D stability. I get the same results with C31 and 3115 bios. The CPU and NB are water-cooled with Koolance PC2 system. Using MBM 5.2.1.0, Vdd reads 1.56-1.58, Vdimm reads 2.88, Vcpu reads 1.95, Tmb reads 29C, Tcpu reads 47C, Tcpu-led reads 32C. Using an Antec True550 PSU, +5V reads 4.92, +12V reads 11.8 in MBM 5.2.1.0.

Summary:
9x, 200Mhz FSB, 7-3-3-2 @2.9V stable 3D
11.5x, 200Mhz FSB, 5-2-2-2 @2.9V stable 3D

9x, 200Mhz FSB, 7-3-3-2 @2.7V slightly unstable 3D
9x, 205Mhz FSB, 7-3-3-2 @2.9V unstable 3D

If I run the memory asynchronously, will that allow me to determine if the limitation is due to memory or the motherboard?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2003, 01:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to El S

I assume you are talking about the 8RDA+
If this is the case The corsair 3500 should not need more voltage to run at its specs. I think that the problem may lie in the mobo compatiblity with the memory you are using. How long ago did you buy your corsair?
Old 18th January, 2003, 01:10 AM

The memory was ordered on Tuesday [2003/01/14] from NewEgg. The MB is indeed an 8RDA+ REV 1.0, which was ordered the first day it was available from NewEgg (ie: within a week of being available in the USA). I am not using SPD for memory settings in bios. I believe the only issue with nForce2 and Corsair memory was when using SPD settings, and not when using manual settings.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2003, 01:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

Actually it's recommended by corsair to run it at a tad higher than default on the 8rda+ since it undervolts.

When I turn my dimm voltage up to 2.9 it's actually 2.83.
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:28 PM

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:33 PM

yes, two things:
1) better cooling of system board components (e.g. bridges, mosfets, capacitors, vregs...)
2) vdd mod i'm afraid. helps most people above 200MHz. (my vdd fluctates between 1.58 and 1.6)
Old 20th January, 2003, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sirtoby
Actually it's recommended by corsair to run it at a tad higher than default on the 8rda+ since it undervolts.

When I turn my dimm voltage up to 2.9 it's actually 2.83.
Thats inaccurate.. mine said 2.86 in usdm and mbm.. measured it on the board and it was 2.91

Sounds to me like nb needs more cooling, and maybe a slight vdd increase is needed if ya wanna run higher.
General consensus is ram slots 1+2 work the best ( furthest and closest to the cpu)

Good Luck

muzz

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life.........

I have a pool and a pond........ pond would be good for you though.
Old 21st January, 2003, 12:28 AM

Board seems to be stable with 2.77 Vdimm, at 200Mhz FSB using 5-2-2-2 with cpu timing set to aggressive. I'm now using the latest official 2003 bios.

I may also do a case mod to have a side blow-hole on my Koolance PC2 case. That should improve air-flow. Though I ran the tests with the side-panel off and still no go in 3D higher than 200Mhz. I can boot into windows at 217Mhz, but no 3DMark stability.

I'm going to have a go at the Vdd mod later this week. The mosfets dont feel too hot, but will look around for heatsinks for em. I'll also reapply the thermal compound and reattach the liquid cooler to the northbridge chip.