AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2003, 07:55 AM

11x155 =(

Well, it seems that with my new board, I can't make it past 11x155 without it losing stability and crashing. This is just a guess, since I went straight from 155 to 160, and it didn't work, so I went back to 155, but the principle is the same: thats pretty low(I had tried 170 earlier as well, but that was a failure too). Here are my stats:

Mobo: Epox 8RDA+ (NForce2) with C10 bios
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 1800+
HSF: Thermalright SK-1 with Panaflo H1A
Memory: 2x256 Corsair XMS 3200
VGA: Leadtek Ti4600 128mb DDR
PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480

11x155 seems stable, though the only real "torture" I put it through so far was 30 minutes of prime95, multiple benches of 3Dmark, and then more 3dmark with prime95 running in the backround, plus 7 hours of halflife. I'll do a more extensive Prime95 and 3dmark loop later, but I'm wondering if somthing else could be wrong right now.

My ram is on Aggressive(though it will run the same FSB in Turbo as well), and running dual/sync, in dimms 2 and 3. I did bump the dimm voltage up one notch though....to 2.77 I think it is.

Graphics card is running stock, so I doubt thats the problem.

Temps for my CPU have yet to go above 35, so it's not overheating.

One possible thing is that all my rails are low....according to MBM and BIOS, my +3.3 is running at 2.74, my +5 is running at 4.87, and my +12 is at 11.61. Can I adjust these to get a bit more power flowing? Or do you think the readings are just wrong.....I also have a burner, DVD-ROM, 2 hard drives, and 4 Vantec Stealths running, in addition to the componets listed above. But I would think the 480 would be able to handle all that with power to spare....

Any suggestions? Do you think I need to bump my cpu voltage up a bit? And what would you reccomend putting it on. I'm not looking for a super dual-sync 200fsb, but I was really hoping to hit 170 or 175 in dual-sync, with my multiplier at either 10.5 or 11, and this doesn't seem excessive for my hardware. Thx for any info you can provide.
Old 19th January, 2003, 05:12 PM

What week and stepping is that 1800+? Have you unlocked the processor? I don't think the 8RDA+ unlocks palamino's, but since I don't own one I can't answer that positively. My personal take is you are at the limits of the processor. I had a couple of early 1700+ that I could never get to unlock, and the best they would do is 149x11. I then got a AGOIA core 1600+ that went to 171x10.5. I am now running a AIUHB core 2100+ at 180X13.
Old 19th January, 2003, 07:14 PM

It's a brand new 1800, AIGUA, Week 49, so it should be factory unlocked. Others are getting this same thing to 1.9ghz and above with no problems. And I just ran Prime95 overnight, but it appears to have crashed after 2 hours and 36 minutes, which I assume means that 11x155 is too high as well. This is nowhere near what I should be able to get, so what do you guys think I can do to fix it?
Old 19th January, 2003, 07:22 PM

If it is a Tbred core, it should be unlocked. Go into you bios and lower the multiplier to 10 and see what is doesn.
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:34 AM

Yup, the comp will run at 10x155, so it is unlocked. I also upped the cpu voltage to 1.6.....do you think I should go a bit higher, or leave it at that?

I seem to fail Prime95 any time between 45 minutes and 2 hours now. It doesn't make any sens that I should be having problems with this slight of an OC.

My SB is getting decently hot at these settings, but I thought that dealt with onboad NIC and sound. My NB is staying pretty cool with the stock heatsink on it.

Anything you can provide would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:59 AM

I have that same PSU, my rails are low in mbm and USDM... they are not accurate........... the 2.74(3.3v) is your vdimm not the 3v rail.
My V's as shown in usdm
2.86 usdm = 2.91 on the board( vdimm set to 2.9 in bios)
4.795 usdm= 5.01v on the board
11.795 usdm =I haven't checked it yet but works fine here.

With that rig you have there, you should be able to drop the multi a bit and do 170-175 np( obviously keeping note of whatever the max cpu speed will be for a ceiling).
Fans connected to mobo headers have proven a hinderance to some- so they hooked them str8 to psu ( get'm off the mobo- may not work, but worth a try)
Ram slots have made a difference( try different slots) general ( not a rule) consensus is 1+2 are the best- 1 being furthest, and 2 being closest in relation to the cpu.
Some folks swear on the jclk jumper being in the "off" position helps.
Manual settings in bios ( in Advanced) especially timings for memory, make sure it is NOT set to SPD..... 6-2-2-2 should be ok, aggressive or optimal.
All settings should be expert and aggressive ( optimal at least) running synch(100%) for best performance.
Ram voltage (2.8 is warranty for Corsair. I run 2.9 always- your call)
NB cooling ( usually gets hot for most, at least a fan blowing on it will help)
sb... mine never got hot, I put a passive 40mm sink on it just for s+g's

There are other things, but at what your trying to do, I don't think you need to cool the mosfets, or go mental with nb cooling though I would check it.

Good Luck

muzz

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life.........

I have a pool and a pond........ pond would be good for you though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 07:56 AM

Ok, I'm going to try and run it at 10x160 Prime95 over night and see what she does.

Also, all my fans(including HSF) are running straight off of the PSU. Tomorrow I will change my RAM to slots 1 and 2 and see what that does though.

I also just dropped my timings to 6-2-2-2, and bumped my cpu voltage to 1.625. Would upping it more be of any help?

As for cooling....my NB is cool as can be. I'm not picking up any real heat at all off of the heatsink...if it's there, it is hardly noticible. My southbridge is where the heat is flowing...15 seconds on that baby makes my fingers quite a bit uncomfortable, though it's not enough to force me to remove my fingers. I am going to put my Santa Cruz back in and disable my onboard sound....if I'm not using sound or onboard nic, I don't see much of a reason for that thing to heat up, since I was under the impression that was what it's main function is.

And for performance, should I run the CPU setting at Optimal or Aggressive? It's on optimal right now, but with my new revised goal of getting 10.5x175 sync, would it be able to handle that on Aggressive, and would I actually get much of a benifit from it? It doesn't really say what it changes when you go to Aggressive, just "better overclocking settings".