AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2003, 07:26 AM

Question vreg heatsinks safe?

merely a small concern.. i am considering dropping some small heatsinks on the voltage regulator chips in my board for when i get around to doing the vmod (waiting on cooler now.. when its gets here its go time) however I am concerned that the heatsinks would possibly be close enough to the leads for them to arc and short? i dont know if there is enough current bouncing through those chips but them being voltage regulators i take it under consideration... id prefer to have them cooled even passively is better than nothing, but i am concerned about safety of this .. ideas? Not just mofsets, those are going to be heatsinked, more concerned with the 3037 etc chips. Just a safety concerm dont want to kill anything in trying to protect it.
Old 20th January, 2003, 09:29 AM

There all low voltage so you wont get any lightning.

Although those Mosfets are rated upto quite a high temperature so you wont get any real gains from cooling them.

If you are going to use epoxy please be very carefull not to short anything.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 10:17 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

As Holst points out, they're all operating at low voltages. Voltage is what determines how far an arc will go, and in the case of the MOSFETs, it's less than a 1/100 of a millimetre. Given that it would be very difficult to acheive that spacing by hand, don't worry unless you have heatsinks in contact with metal!

Áedán