AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2003, 02:37 PM

2 DDR sticks problem

Hey all,

I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice.

My system :

8RDA+ / XP2600 (166fsb model) /SLK-800 + YS-Tech 80mm fan / 2x256 TwimMOS PC3200 / Win2K / MSI GeForce3 / SonicXplosionDVD soundcard

Ram timings 6-3-3-2.5

Here's the problem.I cannot get my machine stable above 166fsb when using both memory sticks.When I use just one stick,it's fine up to 192x12.5 (as fast as I want ) / vdimm 2.63 / vcore 1.75

Tested each stick with MemTest86 and they are good.Using both sticks at 166fsb is good,anything above and I get errors.Tried all the bios versions with no luck,though I did swiftly upgrade from the default bios as it had the firewire always on issue and doubled my boot time.Tried both sticks in both single/dual channel mode with no joy.....Also using the latest NForce2 drivers from NVidia's webpage.

Can anyone help?

ALan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:39 PM

I think you just posted the answer in your question - bump the Vdimm up to 2.77v. I have the same memory and it is stable in 3dmark now.
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:41 PM

Tried the vdimm all the way to 2.9 with no joy....

Thanks for the reply though.

ALan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 04:44 PM

Re: 2 DDR sticks problem

Quote:
Originally posted by MoodyB
Hey all,

My system :

8RDA+ / XP2600 (166fsb model) /SLK-800 + YS-Tech 80mm fan / 2x256 TwimMOS PC3200 / Win2K / MSI GeForce3 / SonicXplosionDVD soundcard

Ram timings 6-3-3-2.5

Here's the problem.I cannot get my machine stable above 166fsb when using both memory sticks.When I use just one stick,it's fine up to 192x12.5 (as fast as I want ) / vdimm 2.63 / vcore 1.75

Tested each stick with MemTest86 and they are good.Using both sticks at 166fsb is good,anything above and I get errors.Tried all the bios versions with no luck,though I did swiftly upgrade from the default bios as it had the firewire always on issue and doubled my boot time.Tried both sticks in both single/dual channel mode with no joy.....Also using the latest NForce2 drivers from NVidia's webpage.

Can anyone help?
maybe try some different ram timings? i can hit about 195 sync dual ddr but thats about it, are your settings at aggressive rather than optimal etc? have you tried the trick of removing the fsb jumper?
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:18 PM

Re: Re: 2 DDR sticks problem

Quote:
Originally posted by bradmax57
have you tried the trick of removing the fsb jumper?
Good point. Take a look at my cooling from my sig. That is where I would start. Cool the Vregs and NB to elliminate them as a source of instability then you have the Vdd mod available to you should you choose to accept it!
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:44 PM

Tried lowering the timings to 8-3-3-2.5 with no luck.

Tried Turbo,Agressive,Optimal with no luck.

Tried removing the jumper.The fsb would be reported properly in the bios,but when I was in Windows,CpuID,Aida32,Sandra and MBM5 all reported it at 133mhz.It benched at the speed of an XP1900+ as well.

Just ordered some fans and ram sinks to cool the North/South bridge and the mosfets today.Hopefully should receive them tomorrow.

Don't want to touch the vdd mod as I'm no good at soldering.I'll probably RMA the ram next then buy the new rev with the vdd adjustable in the bios,or buy another board that supports it.

About the only thing I havent changed is the cpu multiplier,so I'll try 12x200 when I get home and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips.

ALan
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:45 PM

When U say problems...exactly what happens...from all of the posts that I've read...it seems that this board will only do 200fsb without some type of volt mod...although I've already rma'd 2 boards...each one did a little better than 200...
Attached Thumbnails
2 DDR sticks problem-copy-3-2-2-2-memory.jpg  

X_Peed2400/currently XP1700
Epox-8r_Da
Anorexic_TruePowDer 550w_aste of ca$h
M_ax C_ooling X_pence 462+/Semi_Smart Fan II
2*512Mb Cors_hair X_tra M_oney S_pent PC3200C2
ATI Radiation8500
Sin2k/MaXtor'd60giggleATA133
Memor_XXX 4.8x2.4x4.8
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:47 PM

On second thought,I'd like to know why I can get a high fsb with a single dimm,but nothing near it with 2 running in 64 or 128bit mode.

If the Epox guys here don't have any tips,I'll email their support in the UK and see what they say....

ALan
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:51 PM

Stepper :

My problem is unstability at anything above 166mhz when running with 2 sticks of ram.With one stick I can get 12.5x192fsb.

ALan
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:51 PM

I think its a problem with the nf2 chipset that some dont like high fsb in dual ddr, as people with other brands are having the same problem
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:58 PM

Not good.

I'm not running them in dual ddr mode here.Both dimms are in slots 2 and 3.

ALan
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Stepper :

My problem is unstability at anything above 166mhz when running with 2 sticks of ram.With one stick I can get 12.5x192fsb.
IMHO...the chip won't run very much higher fsb#s at that multiplier...I would suggest that U use a lower multiplier...and start Ur fsb around 180 and bump it 2 or 3 levels on each successful boot...if U take a look at the people that post their #s in their sigs/screenshots...most of them are running a lower than spec multiplier with higher than spec fsb settings...I think that in most cases...U can get a higher fsb setting with a lower multiplier...then as stability becomes a factor...Ur cooling and Ur voltage come into play...just my thoughts...I've blown uP everything I've ever hot rodded...

Epox-8r_Da
ATI Radiation8500
Memor_XXX 4.8x2.4x4.8
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:09 PM

Stepper :

With one stick I can get 12.5x192 stable

With two sticks I can only get 12.5x166 stable

ALan
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:22 PM

There was a few people having the same problem on another forum and this fixed it for them,so I'l try it tonight.

`...reseated the memory just in case(slots 0 & slot 1)..did the cmos reset thing then failsafe then optimal & it seems to have done the job...`

ALan
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:23 PM

have you tried 6-2-2-2.0, and set cpu interface to optimal? try the timings out, i know they are faster but in some cases slow timings don't post whilst tight ones do.
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:24 PM

K...I'm gonna go fire uP 'FRANK-IN-STEIN' an see what the difference is between 1 & 2 sticks of ram...look at some timings...voltages...yada yada yada...I'll get back with ya on this l8tr...
Attached Thumbnails
2 DDR sticks problem-dsc00009.jpg  

Epox-8r_Da
ATI Radiation8500
Memor_XXX 4.8x2.4x4.8
Old 20th January, 2003, 06:26 PM

when i used one stick instead of two my overclocking ability was still the same as before.
Old 20th January, 2003, 08:27 PM

Re: 2 DDR sticks problem

Quote:
Hey all,

My system :

Ram timings 6-3-3-2.5

Can anyone help?
Join the club. When I used 1x512 XMS3200, my max FSB was 200. Now, with 2x256 XMS3200 my max FSB is 185. As I've said before, Epox blames the RAM, and Corsair blames the motherboard.

Various people on here have told me it's my hardware. So, I picked up an 8RDA Rev. 1.1, 2 new sticks of XMS3200, a 550W Antec PS, as well as a water cooling setup. Nothing has changed, all I have now is a brand new, cool (temperature wise) system that isn't stable over 185FSB.

Removing the FSB jumper does nothing. Excessive cooling the Northbridge does nothing (hell, mine is watercooling for christ's sake). It's the sacrifice to use DualDDR. My benchmarks (3DMark2001 SE) @ 185FSB DualDDR are higher than Single @ 200FSB -- so it's a trade off.

My feeling, is it's not hardware, so don't buy into those excuses. I've got my money on an NF2 chipset issue.. which, hopefully, can be resolved via a BIOS upgrade. So, until then.. try enjoying the PC with what you have -- as much as it pains you.
Old 20th January, 2003, 09:14 PM

my belief is this: the board and the memory in every one of these cases is fine.
an important factor is the environment with regards to humidity and room temperature. if you stuck your computer into a freezer, it should be able to achieve 200Mhz FSB easily. the alternative is to cool ALL overheating parts on the board.
Old 20th January, 2003, 11:27 PM

Maybe its the luck of the draw maybe its the cooling. I get 200Mhz dual channel with no Vdd mod (which I would do if necessary) and minimal cooling of NB but kinda excessive on the mosfets. I would get cracking on improving cooling and then you are set up to apply a vold mod if you get no joy. Remember mobos are relatively cheap compared to other system components.

I think a volt mod with adequate cooling would sort out any problems found here. If 1 stick works better than two than I feel sure that this can be attributed to a lack of puff at the NB with its dual memory controllers. Sorted with 1) cooling 2) volt mod. Those smd grabber would work a treat if you seal them in a glue of sorts to negate shorts. Use a fixed resistor. I tell you it feels good to be riding on a wave of stability @ 200Mhz.