AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:23 PM

NB/SB cooling

My max FSB is 190mhz.

At 200mhz I'd hang going into windows.

I pulled the NB cooler off and removed the thermal tape, and replaced it with some artic silver.

Then I could boot into windows at 200mhz, it would just hang whenever I tried to do anything.

So since I must be very closee to having 200mhz work for me I was thinking about getting some active cooling.

Does anybody know if the pegs on the motherboard are a standard size?

Would something designed for an old GF2 work?

What are the solutions you guys have tried?
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:37 PM

I just bought a 40mm fan and managed to fix it on using 2 screws. Its not a perfect fit but it works. The best solution would be one of those vantec icebergs (think thats what its called). I think they fit using the standard heatsink pins. I think a kit is available which has this and a southbridge cooler.
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2003, 05:42 PM

is ur northbridge really hot? system temp?
Old 20th January, 2003, 07:06 PM

It's warm to the touch, but with the slight increase in stability I saw from going from thermal interface compound to artic silver, I thought active cooling might make a good step.
Old 20th January, 2003, 10:18 PM

so does anyone know if the holes are the same size as a regular cooler.
Old 21st January, 2003, 01:24 AM

in the picture below you can see the vantec copper hs/f on the NB, it fits without any mods. you also get 2 other alum hs with this kit. used one of them on the SB.

http://home.attbi.com/~teddil2/DSCF0004.JPG
antex 550w truepower ps
2 256mg Corsair DDR 3200 C2
3 WD 120g 7200 8mg hd raid 0
Promise TX2000 PCI Raid

3dmark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2003, 02:21 AM

Can I use one of the passive sinks from the Vantec kit on the NB? Or will it only fit on the SB easily?
Old 21st January, 2003, 05:17 AM

Did you get any more fsb from the active cooling on the nb MichaelMuck?
Old 21st January, 2003, 02:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Clocker

Hello-

I currently have a Zalman NB cooler with 40mm Antec fan on my system and I still believe that the need for increased Northbridge cooling really IS holding us back (to get 200+ mhz FSB). I think the silver/round NB chip top surface is sunk in a bit causing poor contact. Here’s why I think NB cooling is the key:

I can run my system 24/7 at 200mhz FSB synch. while at the same time Folding@Home. CPU cooling is not an issue for me as I am not overclocked and have a Vantec Aeroflow cooler. However, I do not believe F@H really stresses the NB that much. The only time I will ever get an occasional lockup is while playing a 3D game (UT2K3, lately). This is when I was experiencing crashes (@ 200mhz FSB):
  • Case Open with FAN on Zalman NB Cooler: No crashes, ever.
  • Case Closed with Fan on Zalman NB Cooler: Occasional crash after about 1.5HR gaming
  • Case Open with Thermister under Zalman (screwing up the contact, bad): Crash almost immediately after start gaming
  • Case Open with Epox NB Heatsink: Crash after about 30MIN of gaming
  • Case Closed with Epox NB Heatsink: Crash after about 10MIN gaming

I think some of us have hotter running chips that others OR the temp inside their case is a lot lower. I hit about 83F inside my Fong Kai FK-320ATX. I’ve felt the NB without the heatsink on it and damn does it get really hot. Hot enough to burn my finger.

I think we need a circular heatsink that is a little smaller than the diameter of the NB silver contact area. That way, the heatsink won’t be raised off the surface by the edges of the NB chip. I have a Vantec Iceberg coming in hopes that it will be a better solution than my Zalman.

So, it has been my experience that increased NB cooling will help your FSB overclock.

Clocker
Old 21st January, 2003, 07:33 PM

So Mr. Muck,

Has you're enhanced NB cooling aided you're FSB o/c?

I've got some xms3200LL I'd love to use up, but right now 190fsb seems to be it.

I've actually already ordered that vantec copper iceberg you've got on there, but I'm looking for what to expect in returns.
Old 22nd January, 2003, 04:42 AM

Guys , It's called a Vantec Iceberq (with a q ). There are 2 versions CCB-A1A--Aluminum
CCB-A1C--Copper
No mods neccesary , it even comes with 2 of the plastic clips that you easily remove by pinching at the bottom of the motherboard. The North Bridge IS slightly dipped in the center , about a 1.25 inch circular depression about .003" of an inch deep. Just remove the motherboard (sounds easy) , pinch the clips , slightly twist and pull off gently the stock heatsink. carefully scrape the top of the NB chip , apply enough thermal compound (not epoxy) , check for fit and proper amount of compound (see pics) , then install the new fan/hs with the provided clps. You also get a couple of passive heatsinks , 1 for the SB , 1 for your vga chip if you need it.
bob
Attached Thumbnails
NB/SB cooling-vantec-iceberq.jpg  
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd January, 2003, 04:43 AM

After checking for enough compound , but before install.
Attached Thumbnails
NB/SB cooling-iceberq-goopcheck.jpg  
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah