AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2001, 09:09 PM

8KHA+ FF, good boot?????

Hi Everyone,
I just installed an 8KHA+ with an 1800+. During the boot process the code readout on the mobo jumps around to a variety of numbers including "C1" and when the process gets to the IRQ page the readout goes to "FF" and stays there while w98 loads and stays FF when the loading is complete.

I have the N+ on my bios chip and the bios is 10/17 which is how i got the mobo yesterday.

What is the readout on the mobo supposed to be for a good motherboard??????

Also, has anyone seen an UNKNOWN DEVICE trying to install insefl each time you boot up even though you don't have any new add-ons that aren't already fully installed????

I'm not sure if i have a bad mobo or what.
Thanks for any and all help.
Jim
Old 20th November, 2001, 09:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

there's a list of bios post codes in the back of the manual. FF means that bios has passed control of the board to the operating system, so yep, it's a good boot.

have you installed the 4-in-1 drivers for the via chipset? it might be one of the chipset system devices trying to be recognized. the 4-in-1s should be on the cd that came with the mobo. or get them at www.viahardware.com.

hope this helps ya.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2001, 09:51 PM

Proze,
Thanks for the reply. According to an IMPORTANT NOTE sheet that came with my manual FF means either the BIOS chip is bad, wrong BIOS, mobo problemo or an add-on card is bad. None of that makes sense however since i do get into windows.

I do have the 4in1 loaded.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

You have any clue what that red LEd is right next to the RAM slots on the 8KHA+?????

Thanks again,
Take care,
jim
Old 20th November, 2001, 11:04 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers
You have any clue what that red LEd is right next to the RAM slots on the 8KHA+?????
I answered in your other thread

I'm so happy. I actually answered someone's question in this topic area, usually all the questions are hard. That's why I'm amazed at the knowledge Epox Tech and Dimmreaper have, they know so much about motherboards and how they work.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 04:15 PM
EPoX Tech

Code FFh

The code FFh does in most cases refer to a good system boot, however, in the even of a non-bootingsystem it can also mean :
[list=1][*]Bad Mainboard[*]Bad CPU[*]Insufficient power for mainboard and CPU combination[/list=1]

Judging by the fact that your system is fully operational, I would be most happy to be seeing the code FFh !
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:31 PM

Epox Tech,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Personally I would have designed the code readouts so that the code that is displayed once you get into the OS and that indicates everything is GOOD was a unique display. Seems like FF is doing double duty at the moment and can indicate good and bad. If the post test locks up then FF is a sign of trouble, but if you get into the OS then FF is OK. Of course the manual does not say that. According to the info sheet I have that came with the manual, FF is bad and indicates problems.

Thanks again,
Jim