AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2003, 06:02 PM

Epox saved my bacon

Last night I installed a active NB cooler (vantec copper iceberg to be exact) on my 8RDA+, while i was in there I reseated my heatsink and relocated the thermal probe for my smartfan.

When I reseated the heatsink I pushed it to far up toward the top of the socket, past the notch on the heatsink, so that it was no longer parrellel to the chip, but slanted up to the top of the highest point on the socket.

Only the smallest area contacted the heatsink as it pivoted on the core.

turned on the computer, it shut down, again and agian and again, my mind was boggled.

When I found out what I had done, I couldn't believe my chip was still alive.

and functioning properly.

my 8RDA+ saved my bacon.
Old 24th January, 2003, 06:47 PM

Excelent.

Its nice to see the on-die auto shutdown working, and saving CPU's

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2003, 08:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Thanks for sharing the info...

I guess you just tested a feature that most of us are interested to know if it works or not but of course no one would test it!

Nice to know everything is still alright!
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2003, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Very Good to see your chip is still among the living! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th January, 2003, 11:39 PM

HEHE
I did similar with my 8RDA+
I was doing something in the case, cant remember now, so i unplugged the modded fans blowing air into the case, moved the case slightly and saw that the molex that the cooling fans go into was still connected.

"Im sure i just disconnected them" i thought, any way, unplugged em, did what i had to do and left the side off to check all was ok, started the machine, was checking things and smelt a very faint burning, "thats her indoors burning that orrible incense sticks again

Anyway, rig cuts out, shuts down completly, i then realise i took the molex connector off the Volcano 7+, my brand new xp 2700+ was running with just a HS and burning.
Man, it was warm to say the least, so glad the board shut down, and no damage, in fact it gave it a pretty good 'burn in' :-D

love my 8RDA+

Axel
Old 24th January, 2003, 11:47 PM

LOL "pretty good burn in"

Old 25th January, 2003, 12:09 AM

That feature spared my xp2400+ on first boot with the new cpu. Maybe once we get a FAQ page together for 8RDA+ , a new build section will inform others to install their cpu hsf and then take it off to check for 100% core contact , the evidence being a slight trace of thermal compound on the bottom of the heatsink. Maybe also include the tip to NOT use a regular screwdriver but an insert tip screwdriver with the tip removed OR a 1/4" drive socket of the correct size (depending on the size of the tang of the retention clip) .The socket in conjunction with a 6" socket extension. Might save a few peoples motherboards , If the screw driver slips out of the tang LOOK OUT!
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 26th January, 2003, 12:07 AM

I neve used a screwdriver on any heatsink I put on a board. Have you been eating you greens lately?
Old 26th January, 2003, 11:36 PM

I used to ,I will admit. And surprisingly if you go to this link and check page 15 (this is from AMD's build and configuration guide) they recommend and show a typical screwdriver being used to seat the retention clip. Just think how many noobs that want to do this correctly go to this site (AMD) to see what the manufacturer suggests.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/23986.pdf
And if you go to the next page they have ammended the process and suggest a nutdriver could be used. I'd love to know when they added that.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah

Last edited by timbob2469; 26th January, 2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old 27th January, 2003, 01:19 AM

Well I am newish here and have also done something similar. I took fan off hs cos I was gonna change it over, I realised I hadnt the correct screws so popped out to buy some, plus do some other houseowner things. The local store didnt have any of the correct screws and when I got in later that afternoon I thought I should quickly go online and look for something. I turned pc on and went into kitchen, came back into room and it was turned off. Well you should all know what is coming now in this little story........... I looked inside case and saw that I had obviously forgotten to put the fan back on and it had overheated (my face browned it was that hot). Anyway I put the said fan back on and rebooted and all was fine.
Old 27th January, 2003, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rooney
Well I am newish here and have also done something similar. I took fan off hs cos I was gonna change it over, I realised I hadnt the correct screws so popped out to buy some, plus do some other houseowner things. The local store didnt have any of the correct screws and when I got in later that afternoon I thought I should quickly go online and look for something. I turned pc on and went into kitchen, came back into room and it was turned off. Well you should all know what is coming now in this little story........... I looked inside case and saw that I had obviously forgotten to put the fan back on and it had overheated (my face browned it was that hot). Anyway I put the said fan back on and rebooted and all was fine.
LOL. Welcome to AOA my friend!
Old 28th January, 2003, 02:04 AM

on my 8kHA+ i had a dragon orb3 on my duron, i forgot to plug my fan in (after installing some ram at a lan) it booted, i played cs for about 20mins then it crashed, and my temp probe read 80c !!!

what i thought was freaky was that i was playing cs for so long !

Extreme Cooling Club H2O Member
[1700+ (1466MHz 1.5v @ 1950MHz 1.95v(195x10)) 2400+] - [Heto 2800; Homemade block;Camry 87 Core;Eheim 1/2" tubing!
] - [Epox 8RDA+] - [512MB (2x 256MB) Corsair XMS PC3200 @ 2:2:2:5:2] - [ GF4 Leadtek 4200 (250/513 @ 300/600)] - [Antec 480W True Power] - [ 12851 3d2001SE]
My PCDB entry

Old 28th January, 2003, 02:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

That's a lot of tie really, even though the Durons dissipate less heat the Athlons.

If I can remember well, with my Palomino XP1800+ and Volcano 7, temperature rises VERY FAST without a fan. Just tested it to a safe level for curiosity sake!
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 29th January, 2003, 09:46 PM

I had a similar thing happen recently... but I was just getting higher temps than normal... can you spot the problem???

http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh/slk.jpg

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive
Old 29th January, 2003, 10:36 PM

I'm gonna guess you popped the spring off the other side.
Old 29th January, 2003, 10:38 PM

Ooopps....

Somebody was rushing :P

I was at a LAN and a guy had a very cheap "competitors board" using ali chipset, his cheap fan falied.

The board didnt have any overtemperature protection, some some bizarr reason his Tbird 1gig didnt crash but just got hotter and hotter. He did have a big ally heatsink that also got very hot, but no case fans so the heat didnt escape.

After quite a whyle at very high temperature the CPU socket got so hot the plastic bits holding the heatsink on broke off.

This caused a huge bang as his heavy heatsink smashed into his graphics card, at the same moment his Tbread made a nice puff of smoke.

People moaned allot that they lost On-die temperature reading in favor of fast acting overtemperature shutdown, this thread was stickied to show that working overtemperature shutdown is well worth having.

Old 29th January, 2003, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LBJGH
I had a similar thing happen recently... but I was just getting higher temps than normal... can you spot the problem???

http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh/slk.jpg
CPU is not flat to the socket which may imply that the whole heatsink is at an angle and not making proper contact.
Old 29th January, 2003, 10:44 PM

Bingo... I was careful not to do that with my new juihb 1700+

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive