AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th January, 2003, 04:34 PM

8k7a "power issues"

Just want to know how many of your 8k7a's have done in the long run. I have had two...one was not overclocked the other was very overclocked. Both the boards in the last few months have began to have power issues. Mostly with agp power issues or at least thats what i think. I have used many different power supplies and what is so funny is that only my 300w powerman will boot up the thing now...not even my antec true420 or my 300w antec. With the other power supplies the sytem will only post with a pci video card. Only with the 300w powerman (sparkle). I remember the 5v issues of old..but this seems very very different.

I think these boards need extremely clean power supplies as they age...i dont know if its a bad cap or something else but its very strange. the board is in top condition and the caps are all clean. When my first one started to go bad i thought it was a bad bios but i found out recently that its the same issue.

Now im wondering what you guys have done as far as modding...or if any specific power supply would be best for the setup. I dont want to spend tons of money on a power supply just something that would power this old bugger.

Im really hoping i can get this thing to run better cause i really dont want to spend money on an 8k9a or anything right now...although it would be nice.

And idea's and advice or mods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wazer
Old 25th January, 2003, 06:43 PM

The problem I have now is that, although the system is stable, I have burn marks on both the ATX power connector on the board and the PSU...
Old 26th January, 2003, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by K6-III
The problem I have now is that, although the system is stable, I have burn marks on both the ATX power connector on the board and the PSU...
I have that on one of my boards. I wish knew how to really fix the problem. Ive loved both the boards its just that it has not aged well at all...even my non-overclocked rig. Dam i have some really old stuff that runs 24-7 for F@H...and this thing is picky as hell.

Oh and one more thing...I've been thinkin about soldering the psu to the mobo...cut off some fo the atx power lenght too...but i really think my time would be better spent picking up a 8rda. What really bothers me though is I have two 8k7a's just sitting around. DAM EPOX...YOU PISS ME OFF SOMETIMES.

Wazer
Old 26th January, 2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:
This sounds like there has been a faliure in the power regulation on the board, one of the 4 mosfets with alluminium heatsinks on them may have died, increasing the load on the PSU by allot.

Feel the heat coming from those heatsinks, if you burn yourself then id recomend that you stop using the board.

Unfortunatley there isnt much an end user can do to fix this problem, running overclocked may make this sort of faliure more likely as your putting more load on the power regulation.

You may however still be within warranty, although you have to contact your branch office/ point of sale with any warranty questions.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2003, 03:41 AM

I'm out of warranty.

Have any idea where I can get a spare MOFSET to replace the burn't out one???

This is my parents' box, so it really needs to work...
Old 27th January, 2003, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I'm out of warranty.

Have any idea where I can get a spare MOFSET to replace the burn't out one???

This is my parents' box, so it really needs to work...

I think we are screwed personally...There is no way in hell epox is gonna help us with any of our issues or even acknowledge that they did not do an adequit job with the power system on the motherboard. I HAVE NEVER HAD SUCH AN ISSUE WITH ANY MOTHERBOARD...EVEN MY OLD FIC 503+ STILL RUNS FINE. Not to mention all the other old boards i have. I have a msi k7t pro sitting right next to the 8k7a. That board has never stoped...this is the only board i have ever had an issue like this with. The Power regulators on the board must really suck.

Wazer
Old 27th January, 2003, 05:56 PM

I wouldn't go to that much of an extreme. Even out of warranty boards are serviced by Epox, although it costs $25.

I've gone used many Epox boards and my 8K7A is the only one I've seen have this problem.

Either Epox will tell me where to get a Mofset or I'll use it as an excuse to have my parents upgrade me to the 8RDA+ and pass on my 8K3A+ to them....
Old 27th January, 2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go to that much of an extreme. Even out of warranty boards are serviced by Epox, although it costs $25.

I've gone used many Epox boards and my 8K7A is the only one I've seen have this problem.

Either Epox will tell me where to get a Mofset or I'll use it as an excuse to have my parents upgrade me to the 8RDA+ and pass on my 8K3A+ to them....
Ive only owned a few epox boards myself. The kx133 which was a POS. Two 8k7a's that are not fuctioning correctly. An apollo pro board that runs great but not fast...and an 8k3a that runs amazing. I dont think i should have to pay for an engineering flaw.

Wazer