AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2003, 08:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

NB heatsink.. how to get it off?

How do you get the thing off.. I wanted to take it away to apply some AS3 but the thing won't come off? Am I only supposed to unscrew the white things.. or should I push em down or something?
Old 26th January, 2003, 08:50 PM

You'll have to take the motherboard out of the case to get at the back of the motherboard.

Once you can see the back of the board, squeeze the end of the pins so they fit back through the holes. once they are through wiggle the NB a little to loosen the Thermal pad and that should do it..
EPoX 8RGA+, XP3000+ 12x200@2400Mhz cooled by Danger Maze3 H20 setup, 2x256mb TwinMos PC 3200, WD 80GB Special Edition, Radeon 9800 Pro, Klipsch Pro Media 4.1, LiteON 48x12x48, LIAN LI PC 75USB w/Window, Antec 480w True power PSU w/Blue LED.....
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5785350
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2003, 08:53 PM

Ah crap.. I need to take it out.. guess I have to leave that for some other day then.. thanks for the help though..
Old 26th January, 2003, 09:27 PM

or maybe I'll wait until I get a new chipset cooler.. I was actually just going to apply some AS3 but if I have to remove the whole board I might wait around for some better.. don't want to take the board out all the time..

I was thinking of getting one of those Zalman copper chipset heatsinks.. any thoughts about that one?
Old 26th January, 2003, 09:38 PM

the zalman cooler its crap - i have tried it and it doesn't make good contact - add to that its on par with the epox cooler.
my advice is, just replace the sticker with as3 and see if you can hit 200fsb or whatever. that's what i'm doing.
Old 26th January, 2003, 09:40 PM

I would buy the Vantec Iceberg Copper Chipset Cooler.
Giga-Byte 9700 Pro
WD 120 GB Special Edition
Plextor 48/24/48
Lite-On FS020 Case
Sparkle 350 PSU
Watercooled (WhiteWater)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2003, 09:43 PM

but they say iceberg is spelt with a 'q' - as in iceberq
Old 26th January, 2003, 09:44 PM

Yeah, you are right.

http://www.svcompucycle.com/vansolcopvga.html
Giga-Byte 9700 Pro
WD 120 GB Special Edition
Plextor 48/24/48
Lite-On FS020 Case
Sparkle 350 PSU
Watercooled (WhiteWater)
Old 26th January, 2003, 10:19 PM

yeah.. I would get that if it just wouldn't be so damn hard to find over here.. (finland)

seems as these are my options.. the Zalman copper thing..

Thermaltake Crystal Orb
http://www.jimmspc-store.fi/images//...crystalOrb.jpg

Titan TTC-CUV2AB
http://web2.bdog.fi/netstore/tuotekuvat/2217.jpg

Globalwin FA420
http://www.jimmspc-store.fi/images/global.jpg

Maybe the Titan would be something to get.. a bit expensive though.. but what the heck?

//edit: err.. meant to say Titan.. not TT.. aanyways..

Last edited by sirtoby; 26th January, 2003 at 10:21 PM.
Old 27th January, 2003, 05:29 AM

the titan looks like it is the same as the vantec, though it might not be, kinda hard to tell from the pic, it is pretty similar to an iceberg though
Old 27th January, 2003, 05:56 AM

Titan also looks like the Hercules 9700pro cooler. Globalwin FA420 looks like old KR7A NB fan.

http://www2.theoverclockingstore.co....&codeid=812670
This fit?
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:02 AM

I guess I'll go with the Titan then..
Old 27th January, 2003, 05:52 PM

I've heard conflict accounts of the Zalman NB copper heatsink. Some have it on fine but others say it doesn't fit! Just looking at the surface area with the tall fins it must perform better than the shorter finned NB heatsinks. For me this one looks the best. The area is 60-63mm wide and alot longer so it could accomodate a quite substantial cooler. I would consider buying the Zalman CPU heatsink but I already bought the zalman bracket separately.
Old 27th January, 2003, 08:29 PM

dang.. I couldn't get my mobo out of the case. One of the mobo spacers (one of those round copper coloured things underneath the motherboard that is screwed in to the case) wouldn't come off. It loosened from the back of the case when I was loosening the screws, but not quite so much that it would come away entirely. So the screw just kept going round and round with no effect, while the thing was still attached to the case. So I couldn't get it away. Now untop of it all.. the head of the screw is not in that good shape so I doubt I will get it away without cutting of the spacer or something.