AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th January, 2003, 08:13 PM

[4PEA+] BIOS HPT372 and RAID issues

I have flashed the latest BIOS (04/12/2002) for the Epox 4PEA+ and it says in the release notes that the BIOS for the Highpoint controller has been updated to 2.34
However this is not the case in my situation. It still reads 2.32 on the screen where you can press CTRL-H . Is this correct?

2nd problem I'm having is using the RAID controller. I have 2x Western Digital 800JB in RAID0 and both are master on IDE3 en IDE4 (highpoint controller) just as the manual suggests.
In BIOS what should I choose for the bootup sequence so that it will startup of this RAID0 setup? Right now I can only get it to work by adding a 3rd HDD and connect that one to the normal IDE1 controller. Is it possible to only have the 2 WD 800JB's in RAID0 and use that for startup? Or is the HPT372 a cheap RAID controller that cannot be used for booting the OS? In BIOS there is no option for ATA-RAID or something in the boot-up sequence list. Please help.
Old 27th January, 2003, 08:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

For bootup, if RAID is not an option, how about SCSI?
Also, in the raid bios, you have to set the raid0 as the boot partition.

Sorry, I can't help further, I don't have your particular board, but I have mobo's with HPT 372 & 374, and I think they're good controllers... good luck with yours.
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:00 PM

Thanks for your reply:
I tried all options (also SCSI) but none of them worked.

In the HPT menu I have set the RAID to BOOT , so that's not the problem.

I have working the RAID0 right now, but only because I have installed a 3rd drive on IDE1 (standard IDE connector on board). Otherwise it is a no-go
But I want to use that drive for another system, I can't leave it in this system.

I'm sure it must work, there has got to be an option i'm overlooking somehow. I just have no idea where to look or check.
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:23 PM

i have 2 80gig seagates running on raid0. in the bios i set the boot option to scsi. then on the "Onboard PCI Device Setup", i changed the (Highpoint device" from "auto" to "enabled".

then in the raid bios, i wiped my previouse raid array and and created a new array and set it to boot first

are those WD drive on a fresh install? you weren't first initially booting from the 1 or 2 IDE contriollers and then decided to move the two WD to RAID IDE 3 and 4 without wiping the disks?

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
i have 2 80gig seagates running on raid0. in the bios i set the boot option to scsi. then on the "Onboard PCI Device Setup", i changed the (Highpoint device" from "auto" to "enabled".

then in the raid bios, i wiped my previouse raid array and and created a new array and set it to boot first

are those WD drive on a fresh install? you weren't first initially booting from the 1 or 2 IDE contriollers and then decided to move the two WD to RAID IDE 3 and 4 without wiping the disks?
Yes, a complete fresh install. The drives will be wiped clean when I make a new array anyway, so there are no leftovers from previous installs.

Thanks a lot for your setup info, the only difference between your setup and mine is that I have set the 'Hightpoint device to 'auto' . I will try your suggestion and set it to 'enabled'. All other settings are the same. What version does your highpoint controller say? (where you can push CTRL-H)
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vatt

What version does your highpoint controller say? (where you can push CTRL-H)
2.32 with the 0412 bios. i don't complain much on the 2.34 thing since i don't see a big hit on my drive benchies.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:41 PM

I don't have an Epox (Yet), but I do have a onboard highpoint 372 controller. My feelings on this controller are that it would be better in dumpster out back. I have used it for booting the OS from and it works okay as long as I don't use anything besides windows, if you wanna run Linux forget it. I would reflash the bios and if that didn't work see what I could find on highpoints site. http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ for a newer driver. Even as I write I am ghosting my OS back over to the same controller after breaking the raid array and setting my disk up as single disk. I'm hoping I'll be able to run SUSE Linux on them now and dual boot. If not, well hell, I guess I'm in the market for a EP-8RDA+
Jon
Old 27th January, 2003, 09:53 PM

OT: strange Darkest, i'm running Mangrake 9.0, SuSE 8.0, BE|OS, Red Hat 8, and LindowOS 3.0. all working fine! uh humm...under Virtual PC . good luck with installing any Linux disto on a new mobo unless you know anything about kernels. i've read many people running suse 8 and RH8 on this mobo.

unlike them, i don't know squat about linux, so i decided to invest on VPC.

Old 27th January, 2003, 10:22 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Vatt

....(where you can push CTRL-H)
Just after post, your raid controller should boot up, automatically detecting any drives on the raid controller.. WHile it is detecting, hit control+H and you go into the raid bios.

Not sure if this is relavent, but on my 8K3A+, when I had RAID set to auto in the mobo bios, WinXP didn't detect the controller. At the time, I was not using the raid controller at all. WHen I forced it to enabled.... windows detected it and asked for drivers. not sure if this is a highpoint thing, since my 374's on my other mobo never gave me a problem.
Old 27th January, 2003, 11:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to noxarin

I got no probs with the controller on the 4PEA+

I got a IBM 120GXP 40gig and a Seagate Cuda4 40 gig in a RAID-0 and boot off it no problems at all.
Old 28th January, 2003, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by noxarin
I got no probs with the controller on the 4PEA+

I got a IBM 120GXP 40gig and a Seagate Cuda4 40 gig in a RAID-0 and boot off it no problems at all.
Great, could you post your BIOS settings please?
Boot-up sequence
Hightpointcontroller 'enabled' or 'auto'?
That sort of stuff.

Those HDD are the only ones in your system right? You do not have a 3rd HDD on a normal controller?

TIA
Old 28th January, 2003, 01:10 AM

Basically it's just on default.

APIC enabled.

Boot Sequence is
Floppy
HDD-0
SCSI
Boot Other device: Enabled

Highpoint enabled (not auto, default is enabled)

No hard disks on the intel controllers, just a cd rom.

If you haven't reinstalled windows and are trying to keep your old copy that might be why it's not working.
Old 29th January, 2003, 04:06 AM

Well, SUSE is installed on the main IDE now and the hpt372 is turned off. Grrrr. Funny thing is I see no loss in speed due to not using the controller, in fact I have found my 3dmark scores have gone up a tad. 15415 from 15427, same windows installation (plus a bunch of programs I've just installed and didn't defrag afterwards), just ghosted over......Go figure. I really wish I had taken the time to Sandra test em before I switched. It kinda seems like my system is faster now but it may all be in my head with no real numbers to back that up. Before this I was running 256k stripes on two maxtor 80gb ATA/133 drives, now I just have em on the normal ata/133 controller. This manufacturer (Whom I wont mention here) has really pissed me off by claiming this board has full linux support. Yeah, so does my cell phone if I can program it, grrrrr. I'm saving pennies for a N-force board when I need to fix my car, I think I'm losing it
Jon
Old 29th January, 2003, 05:59 AM

I've used linux quite alot and usually compile my own kernels I am pretty sure linux does support the Highpoint 372. At lease i'm certain it does in normal non-raid mode. It possibly does also in raid mode though maybe only in a 2.5 kernel. The trick is to make sure the kernel you use has highpoint support. It is tricky though and I do understand your fustration.

Remember also that software raid actually seems to be faster than using the highpoint controller. Using the highpoint is convienient though.
Old 29th January, 2003, 07:45 AM

Noxarin,
I'd give my left arm to learn how to recompile the kernel. I know this is the wrong place to bring this up......wrong forum and all that, but do you think you could post some info in the Alt Os forum? Pleaaaaaaassse? :-D
Old 13th March, 2003, 05:47 AM

what stripping r u using on ur raid? 16? if u are try reformatting using stripping to 64
Generic RAM 1x512 PC2700, 2-5-2-2
Leadtek GF4 Ti 4800SE (320/621)
Maxtor 80 gig 7200 rpm
Old 13th March, 2003, 06:07 AM

As far as 2.32 vs 2.34,when did you install the drivers?If done during win install were the 2.34 divers on the floppy disc or the 2.32?
2x Maxtor 80 gig DM9's SI raid0
2x Maxtor 60 gig DM9's Acard raid0
sk7 with 80 mm sunon
win 2000 pro