AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st January, 2003, 08:21 PM

Re: no problems at ALL

Quote:
Originally posted by pltguy
Thoe i just got the board on Thur. and flashed to these bios first thing. I always use a boot disk and fkash manually,dont trust(have had bad luck)with those win flash tools.
You can also just put BIOS on freshly formatted disk with nothing else on it and use the ALT - F2 at POST. This is even safer IMHO. No DOS at all.

The really important thing in any FLASH is to return BIOS to Safe settings BEFORE the flash. Stock voltages, memory timings, etc. should be verified and saved beforehand.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2003, 08:36 PM
jcool

Yo, lets try this new Bios, the C1 Error was DEFINATELY nagging.
Especially when running asynced (Ram at 240) it wouldn't even post, though I'm sure the Corsair PC3500 is more than up to it.
And it looks like I won't regret soldering a 1kohm Poti on the Board...
Pity that the Vdd can't be changed in the Bios, but luckily there IS a solution
Old 1st February, 2003, 04:26 PM

Talking FSB

I put A Big heat sink and fan on nForce 2 chip (Delta Heat Pipe With Silent Fan) and can now run upto 211 MHz FSB with no Vmod.With Vmod up to 230 MHz FSB.Works best at about 217 MHz.Run all day every day 11 x 204 MHz FSB 1.7 Vcore. 2.65 Vddr.USDM reports CPU temp as 27 deg c.
Dont rate new 3129 bios i am down on 2002 mark scores on CPU and Mem.

XP 2400+
8RDA+
2 x 256Mb XMS 3200
Geforce 3 Ti200 (Creative-Pants)
Hot Rod ATA 100 Raid
2 x IBM 307030 (Stripe 0)
Realmagic DVD
Vapochill case ; )
Old 2nd February, 2003, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genius
Hey ET, when I go to flash my 8RDA standard with the image from 8RD13129.BIN (from 8rd1.zip) it tells me that the file's part number does not match my own part number, then lists a MAC and NV Lan address (you know, those two settings in the bios). It asks if I wish to proceed... should I?

I did load all defaults (no OC) before flashing. Using the ALT+F2 method.
the only time I had that was when I knowingly changed the bios to an 8rda+ type , instead of the proper 8rda bios file.

sounds like the file that you already have installed is from an 8rda+?,perhaps.

anyway if you know the file is the right one just click on yes to load.
2xhitachi 250gb -raid 0
win vista business
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2003, 10:47 PM

I see the same message and it flashes fine. I am not sure it is an error message, tho. It may be just for information purposes.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 2nd February, 2003, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bondo
So far I like this bios. I had the C1 error code on some of the FSB's
after 212 or so. It depends on whether you have your CPU clocked as high too.

Thanks Epox for the great bios

BUT,

I think we need to work the Vcore issue for some of us, where the board either shuts down under stress or won't boot up when the Vcore is high.

I have a 2400+ that does 2500Mhz water cooled at 2.1v
In the N2 I can't OC that high stable. To be really stable, like 2380 is good. 2400mhz can be done but only at lower FSB's.
It seems the N2 chipset doesn't OC CPU's as high. I have seen this with the 850E chipset too.

In the Nforce, on a warm reboot, I can change the setting and get it to boot at 2500 and 2.050v, but if I shut it down, it won't reboot at that settings. Even at a 2.2v setting it won't reboot.

I think this issue needs to be addressed if it can via a bios.

Again thanks for the great bios ET! :beer:
this is a voltage thing and nothing to do with o-clock.

try default everything, except vcore or vdimm and if its anything like mine it will still fail to reboot.

and yes it would be nice if a bios mod could address this.
2xhitachi 250gb -raid 0
win vista business
Old 6th February, 2003, 11:18 AM

on a cold boot this 8rda+ boots up with default voltage, that's the problem!!!!
Old 6th February, 2003, 01:12 PM
jcool

Sorry guys, but I can't see anything is different with this Bios.
C1 error when running async is still there.
Old 6th February, 2003, 04:09 PM

I have had to rollback to 3117.

When using 3129, I noticed the system would not recover from S3 STR in standby.

Without changing any other settings, I reflashed to 3117, and standby works perfect again.

Apart from IDE DMA mode, could not see any other benefits.
Old 6th February, 2003, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by siztenboots
I have had to rollback to 3117.

When using 3129, I noticed the system would not recover from S3 STR in standby.

Without changing any other settings, I reflashed to 3117, and standby works perfect again.

Apart from IDE DMA mode, could not see any other benefits.
Let me be the first to say Welcome to AOA!

I have just got my lite-on 24102b CD-RW to burn after installing the "out of box" certified nVidia IDE drivers.
Old 10th February, 2003, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterAtArms

Let me be the first to say Welcome to AOA!

I have just got my lite-on 24102b CD-RW to burn after installing the "out of box" certified nVidia IDE drivers.
I have the same CDRW drive from lite-On on my desk next to me. I have an 8RDA on my backup system and the 24102b was stopping the system from booting or entering the bios. No matter what I did, if the drive was attached to the IDE channel, it wouldn't detect the drive. I've tried the drive on my 8RDA+ and works fine. I ended up putting my old creative CDRW on the 8RDA and it's working fine.:nervous: very strange..
EPoX 8RGA+, XP3000+ 12x200@2400Mhz cooled by Danger Maze3 H20 setup, 2x256mb TwinMos PC 3200, WD 80GB Special Edition, Radeon 9800 Pro, Klipsch Pro Media 4.1, LiteON 48x12x48, LIAN LI PC 75USB w/Window, Antec 480w True power PSU w/Blue LED.....
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5785350
Old 10th February, 2003, 05:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to dr5op3rdud3

hmm... i havnt flashed my bios in awhile?

RIP SF2
Old 10th February, 2003, 02:52 PM

Arrow

Hi!

I updated the bios using the Alt+F2 method and... well at the end of the flashing my computer boots by itself and won't start no more.. monitor in standby mode.. tried everything i can think of but nothing has work.. so i think the bios is corrupt.. I have never before had an failure in when updating bioses.. the first time for everything right..
The system go past the C1 code and after that it stops at 01.. whatever that means.. but i reprogrammed the bios chip today.. going to see if it works or not when i going home!

Regards,

-Toby
Old 10th February, 2003, 03:12 PM

Welcome here, Toby. Sorry you come here and this is your first post. Hope all is better soon!

Old 10th February, 2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
Welcome here, Toby. Sorry you come here and this is your first post. Hope all is better soon!
Thanks Bob!
I reflashed the bios today but no go.. actually I didn't reflash the bios, it was a local dealer that did it for me, I even bought myself a new 2 Mb winbond bios chip but it didn't work either..

i'm starting to wonder.. I had the vdd at 1.85 V when the bios was flashed.. maybe it did something to the bios chip and now it's broken

I read somewhere that the 8RDA+ has problems with the new Corsairs XMS 3200 LLPT TWINX memory.. but they seemed to work with my MB.. cause i got to the bios before doing the flash!
I got the memmodules yesterday.. didn't got to test them that much.. the damn bios screwed up

But I'm getting a new board tomorrow.. just have to be very careful with this one..

Regards,
-Toby
Corsair 2x256 Mb TwinX 3200 LLPT
Antec 480 W PSU TrueBlue
Hercules Prophet 9700 Pro
ISDN PCI card
SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Realmagic Xcard
Pioneer 16 x DVD
Plextor 48/24/48A
Swiftech CPU cooler
Maxtor GXP 60 Gb
VDD mod done with SMD grabbers, Nb , Sb and mosfets active cooling..

Old 10th February, 2003, 05:29 PM

When i use Winflash do i need to turn all options on?
-Bootblock
-PnP Area
-DMI area

(i will get 8rda+ in 1-2days, just wanna make sure) 8>
Old 10th February, 2003, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
When i use Winflash do i need to turn all options on?
-Bootblock
-PnP Area
-DMI area

(i will get 8rda+ in 1-2days, just wanna make sure) 8>
DON'T use winflash with the N2 chipset.

My advice to all of you is very simple for flashing your bios.

1} have a boot up floppy that allows you choose a "minimal boot"
meaning no memory managment files or drivers are loaded. I use an old Win ME boot disk. It gives me the "Mimimal" choice.

2} Unzip Epox's bios file to a floppy or hard drive. I never had a problem flashing from my hard drive yet.

3} The reason you use Epox's flash files is that you need to use Awardflash version 22a for N2 boards. Using a different version will increase chances of a bad flash.

4} Right beforte you decide to flash, set the bios to "Optimized defaults" This is VERY IMPORTANT.

5} Boot from the boot up disk choosing "minimal boot. Put in your Epox bios files and type "Update" You follow directions from there by hitting one more key to flash.

That's it. It's that easy and will always work unless you have a bad bios chip or bad .Bin file. Don't flash from within windows with the N2 chipset. Don't use the Alt + F2 method. Don't flash overclocked. ALWAYS set up Defaults in the bios before you flash.
Old 10th February, 2003, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bondo

DON'T use winflash with the N2 chipset.

My advice to all of you is very simple for flashing your bios.

1} have a boot up floppy that allows you choose a "minimal boot"
meaning no memory managment files or drivers are loaded. I use an old Win ME boot disk. It gives me the "Mimimal" choice.

2} Unzip Epox's bios file to a floppy or hard drive. I never had a problem flashing from my hard drive yet.

3} The reason you use Epox's flash files is that you need to use Awardflash version 22a for N2 boards. Using a different version will increase chances of a bad flash.

4} Right beforte you decide to flash, set the bios to "Optimized defaults" This is VERY IMPORTANT.

5} Boot from the boot up disk choosing "minimal boot. Put in your Epox bios files and type "Update" You follow directions from there by hitting one more key to flash.

That's it. It's that easy and will always work unless you have a bad bios chip or bad .Bin file. Don't flash from within windows with the N2 chipset. Don't use the Alt + F2 method. Don't flash overclocked. ALWAYS set up Defaults in the bios before you flash.
Does the Update.bat contain the AWDFLASH 8RDA3129.BIN OLD.BIN /PY /SY /E /F options..

Regards
Antec 480 W PSU TrueBlue
ISDN PCI card
SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Realmagic Xcard
Pioneer 16 x DVD
Plextor 48/24/48A
Swiftech CPU cooler
Maxtor GXP 60 Gb

Old 10th February, 2003, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frazer

Does the Update.bat contain the AWDFLASH 8RDA3129.BIN OLD.BIN /PY /SY /E /F options..

Regards
Allsprite.. just edited the update.bat file.. and it contains the right options..

Thanks for the good instructions!

Regards,
Toby
Antec 480 W PSU TrueBlue
ISDN PCI card
SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Realmagic Xcard
Pioneer 16 x DVD
Plextor 48/24/48A
Swiftech CPU cooler
Maxtor GXP 60 Gb

Old 10th February, 2003, 05:55 PM

Yes there are some flags in there.

If you want to add more, just right click on the bat file and choose Edit.

Add the flags you wish and choose Save from the menu to save the setting.

I have found their set of flags to be good enough so far. And yes, you Old bios file is saved onto your floppy or har5d drive folder location.

You just do the same thing to flash but type "Restore"
and it will flash back to your old bios.

You can get a Win ME boot disk here:

http://www.nerdlabs.org/bootdisks/diskimages/bootme.exe